Sun 22nd Feb - Reliability No 4 - West Kilbride

KennyS

Reliability No 4 - West Kilbride

The route is on the following link http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /630440583

We are planning for three groups leaving from the Clubrooms promptly

9:00 - Thirty Milers and newcomers

9:30 - Laughing Group / Usual crowd

10:00 - Race squad

Soup, tea, coffee etc back at the clubrooms after the run.

Do we have a volunteer for making the soup?

Can we have a volunteer for heating the soup?

This generally means being back at the club rooms half an hour before the first bunch to get the soup on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

OK, so who's going out and when? Forecast looks decent, although the route seems to have stretched since the last time we did this run. What's all this turn right at Dalry and head for Kilwinning caper? :!::!: Auchentibber? Lugton?

did I hear someone say that Jim D was away this weekend? If that's the case, I fancy the long lie and the 10:00 start. :lol: Anyone else?

Think there was a volunteer for soup too? Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

That's 3 so-far for 10am then, says Colin.

If there's at least 4 of us for the 10 o'clock run, then I'm in. Otherwise I'll go with the 09:30's.

Frank

Right then. We can't disappoint Frank. Who's joining the wannabees at 10:00? icon_bounce_3

m

• 2023 Subscriptions

76 miles, 4 hours = 19mph. Home for 2:00pm easy? :-?

The 9:30 boys will accuse us of cheating if we cut off Bishopton. :oops:

Besides, lots of lumpy bits between Miller Street and the Port on your route Tony!

Happy to negotiate in the morning. Would be good if I was back home around 2-ish as well.

What does single speed Colin have to say?

Singlespeed Colin says "I have a day pass" Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

19mph average for this route does seen a bit optomistic though, especially with the predicted winds being into our faces from Bishopton to West Kilbride (the majority of the ride :rockets ).

Happy to follow suit no matter what the decision but will now have to meet at Miller Street instead of hitching on along the Georgetown ;-) incase Tony's alternative is the preffered option.

It's all cool man 8-)

Colin

Have just looked properly at your route proposal Tony. With the lumpy bits between Houston and Kilmacolm and then the High Greenock Road I think we would probably arrive in Greenock at about the same time as going through Bishopton.

If an alternative is required due to time restrictions the better route might be to go from Johnstone through Brookfield and BOW to Kilmacolm and then down the Clune. Would certainaly be easier on my legs with the singlespeed :roll:

Colin

I hurt my back during the week but thanks to the miracle of drugs and wine I should be ok for tomorrow - plenty of escape options on this route anyway. Been looking forward to this all week!

What has happened to the 10 o'clock bunch? Short-cuts, alternative routes with no-hills, gears, afternoon tea.....next I'll be reading that they have organised motor pacing to protect them from the Georgetown head-wind

Nine-thirty for me and no short-cuts!

• 2023 Subscriptions

What has happened to the 10 o'clock bunch? Short-cuts, alternative routes with no-hills, gears, afternoon tea.....next I'll be reading that they have organised motor pacing to protect them from the Georgetown head-wind

Nine-thirty for me and no short-cuts!

Stung by the above the 10 o'clock gang were determined to follow the route to the letter! :smash:smash

Motor paced training provided by single speed Colin down the Georgetown, while single speed Frank, carbon Howie (on a comeback ride) and the cross bros Tony and Mulhooligan enjoyed the ride.

No more enjoyment for some time, as we hit the headwind at the smiddy and ground out a belgian rotation down the coast. Only high spot: Tony's puncture in Greenock which provided a brief respite. :oops:

Howie could smell his teapot at West Kilbride and disappeared over the hill towards Lochwinnoch.

A brief mechanical for Mul on the high Ardrossan road gave everyone the chance to enjoy the view, before the turn back up the drag to Dalry. No one believed we were supposed to turn right here, but we did :shock:. Slight amendment to the published route as we headed down the main road to Kilwinning, before diving up the wee wall at Dalgarven mill (sorry Colin) and then back on course.

Colin took his umpteenth 30 mile sprint into Kilwinning, which he then regretted as we started the drag up the old Glasgow road. ;-) . He then decided to play his joker ("I've got an all day pass") and let the rest of us go. Down to three, we decided to avoid the 736 and headed straight up to Barmill, the Rocky road and Bowfield. Back to the club rooms by 14:40, and naebody there!

Fine run, with a good workout (the wind is my hill :smash:smash ).

But the question is: did anyone manage the full bhuna today?

Mul

Six of us set-out from Johnstone at nine-thirty down the Georgtown (tailwind for a change) then onwards to Greenock . All was going well, apart from a headwind, until Mike realised that he was loosing his back wheel and we had an emergency pit-stop at the toilets (closed for refurbishment). Mike's quick release was (sort of) fixed and we set-off again and into another headwind.

The pace was kept relatively high until we hit Ardrossan and a quick comfort break. A taxi pulled up outside the toilets and there were a few glances of will we wont we, however, I am glad to report the tempation was overcome and we were quickly back on the road.

Due to the headwind everyone was quite tired by the time we hit West Kilbride and it was decided to continue onwards to Kilwinning instead of the published route. After Kilwinning we continued back to Johnstone via the official route. The group began to split-up on the Lugton Road as the miles began to take their toll. We tried very hard to stay together however due to family commitments I had to push on alone. I made it back to the clubhouse at 14h21 - but nae soup! The place wasn't even open.

This is probably one of the hardest days I have done in the saddle for some time - however, apart from a stiff back and a very sore bum it was brilliant!

Thanks for a great ride - I hope everyone got home safe.