Tech Challenge only for serious techies !?

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

So I came back from a long wet ride on Saturday and gears working perfectly with my Ultegra Di2.

Washed bike and about to put away when I discovered rear mech not working. Nothing at all.

Front mech fine which means it's not battery as front is disabled first.

I suspected it had gone into 'crash protection' mode which disengages the rear mech linkage from the motor if an impact is detected as I kind of bump on the ground to get the drips off after washing. However if that is what is wrong I just cannot get it to reboot. When I press and hold the reset button the is no light either for setting alignment or rebooting.

So I stripped back the bar tape and reinserted the lever connection, pretty certain it is fine as when I press the rear mech lever a green light comes on at the junction box, which implies a connection. However the red also comes on after a few seconds. Removed and reinserted the rear mech cable at the rear mech and it seems fine. Also removed the battery from seat pin and disconnected and reconnected to try and reset.

Finally I got the etube software and it updated all the firmware and showed me a pretty diagram of all my components and how I could change the function of the levers etc. But it didn't tell me what was friggin wrong with the system as you need to have a special error diagnosis box and software.

The only thing I did not double check was the rear mech cable connection inside the down tube junction box as I did not want to remove BB press fit bearing.

If you are still alive and have any will left to live then top marks.

If you can offer any final ideas before I head for shop then lots of coffee and cake on offer.

Ps anyone know if Q bikes or Dooleys have the necessary software and box to diagnose and fix the problem?

Ohyadancer!

Hi Paul my suggestion from what you are saying would be to take off any battery covers and leave them off overnight in a warm environment or use a hairdryer to get rid of any moisture which may have crept in to your components. If there is a battery for the rear mech it may have been subjected to some water ingress while washing it. If this doesn't work try e mailing the manufacturer to see if they can help. Sometimes removing batteries and reinserting doesn't solve the problem depending on whether or not the units are completely dried out or not - Happy troubleshooting

• Committee

Firstly +1 dry everything out and sleep on it.

1. I assume you used the Shimano tool to push the plugs on, did they definitely click? However if it all shows up on the PC then presumably they are plugged in ok.

2. Was it a "low battery" red light? Yes, fd should stop first but maybe your system is progranned oddly. di2 is infinitely customisable. So recharge battery tonight and retry.

3. No idea who has diagnostic kit, sorry.

4. Man up and take your winter bike out with bogs bunch tomorrow.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Oh dear,

I had a closer look at the etube software picture tonight and noticed that it does recognise the two levers, front mech, battery and junction boxes. But not the rear mech. This does not seem good at all. First time round all I noticed was the 'all unit recognised' quote, but did not read the list of units. A bit remiss I know.

So before I rush off to either

A) remove press fit bracket bearings to see if it a connection issue or

B) buy a new rear mech

I wonder Alan if I could take up the offer of connecting your rear mech to the wire only to see if it is recognised. If yes then a new rear mech job. If no then a strip out press fit BB.

I'll pm you Alan.

Bring back the simpler days in time !!

Wires? On electronic gears? How quaint...

They're so different than mechanical when it goes slightly wrong - just no worky. Found that out the hard way, but fortunately just a broken battery tab and could bodge a fix until home. Fingers crossed its just the cable. If it was working fine until you banged the bike after washing it's surely got to be something worked loose.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I removed a press fit BB from my Giant Propel. I used a home made drift and yes you have to seriously whack it. Probably the most nerve jangling buttock clenching moment of my life. Apart from the last 2 miles of DA of course :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Many thanks Alan. Got your rear mech, put box beside bike, plugged it in and all ok. Quite quaint indexing it whilst holding it in my hand. So new rear mech ordered. Painful. 

Meantime need to figure out if the gubbed one can be ungubbed. Convinced it is stuck in crash protection mode.

btw there was an interesting looking Wiggle box delivery at your house, thought I better remove it for safekeeping :)