Cross Shoes

George

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have cross ones but never used the studs, cause i'm hardcore(lost them and holes rusted over) Buy cheapish ones as they get wrecked, nice bike.... but I would 100% go with discs if you have the option, I use canti's and they ain't good for stopping and you will save replacing wheels :) I will switch to discs next year if I win the lotto.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have cross ones but never used the studs, cause i'm hardcore(lost them and holes rusted over) Buy cheapish ones as they get wrecked, nice bike.... but I would 100% go with discs if you have the option, I use canti's and they ain't good for stopping and you will save replacing wheels :) I will switch to discs next year if I win the lotto.

I have been assured by Ricardo that the brakes are sufficient for the speed I ride at....

Nice bike...can't really go wrong with kinesis. If I'm not mistaken this is a frame which can run either canti's or discs? Discs are cracking, canti's less so unless you are good enough to only need to modulate speed as opposed to having to stop in a hurry.

As for shoes the smart money is to go for something with a wee bit of flex in the sole (I use the mavic ones and these seem pretty popular on the circuit) better for running and/or ripping your calf muscle in two. Studs are a bit of a gimmick in my very humble opinion specially with courses getting more and more ride orientated.

Volgas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

Sidi Dominator (never was a shoe more optimistically named) are ace  but are expensive. I wear my Sidi's on my mtb

If you end up racing then they are worth 0.76% more speed.

That's an ace bike and needs raced. It's very hard to have a gentle ride on cross bikes. It soon gets boring riding around fields and although they are capable bikes you cannot ride xc routes on them unless you are Danny McCaskill. MTB bikes are good for playing about with on trails but cross bikes either need a proper long off road adventure or a proper race! See you on the grid next year.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yes, plan to be eating some Belgian toothpaste in cx races next cx season.

Got myself a pair of MTB shoes from Q Bikes-they have a screw in stud option at the toe which will be handy for slide tackling my rivals.

I'll also be able to hop off my bike as I cross the finish line and kick up some sparks as I do a river dance stylee victory celebration.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yes, plan to be eating some Belgian toothpaste in cx races next cx season.

Got myself a pair of MTB shoes from Q Bikes-they have a screw in stud option at the toe which will be handy for slide tackling my rivals.

I'll also be able to hop off my bike as I cross the finish line and kick up some sparks as I do a river dance stylee victory celebration.

That's the football ned in you coming out there.

Studs v good idea. I know Davie says courses becoming more ride oriented, but the last few I've done have required carrying the bike unless you were one of the top 5 in the A race. 

There's a race at Chatelherault this Sunday if you want to leap straight in.

What make are the cantis on your bike?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sidi Dominator (never was a shoe more optimistically named) are ace  but are expensive. I wear my Sidi's on my mtb

If you end up racing then they are worth 0.76% more speed.

That's an ace bike and needs raced. It's very hard to have a gentle ride on cross bikes. It soon gets boring riding around fields and although they are capable bikes you cannot ride xc routes on them unless you are Danny McCaskill. MTB bikes are good for playing about with on trails but cross bikes either need a proper long off road adventure or a proper race! See you on the grid next year.

Been round Cathkin on my crosser. These bikes are more capable than you might think. (although I did goose the rims).

Good to have more in the JWCX gang.

• 2023 Subscriptions

That's the football ned in you coming out there.

Studs v good idea. I know Davie says courses becoming more ride oriented, but the last few I've done have required carrying the bike unless you were one of the top 5 in the A race. 

There's a race at Chatelherault this Sunday if you want to leap straight in.

What make are the cantis on your bike?

TRP CX-9. Been advised they are very good.