Sewing Bee 23 rd June 6.30 pm

charlie p

Leave the Sewing Bee alone. Challenging course with a good mix of rolling roads, climbs and flat bits. Usually quite quiet in terms of traffic too. The route doesn't stray too far from Johnstone/Paisley and lets guys get home fairly easily, and on a selfish note there note too much of a trek for me either.What's not to like?

If there is a desire to extend the miles then we can add the road out to Fenwick from Stewarton Cross - more vertical bits - and the 77. Worked fine last year.

• Committee

sewing bee sounds fun, sorry it does not quite fit in my diary but I hope to join later in summer, what is the meeting place/route?

You guys did well to avoid the bogs bunch last night, guys ahead of me had a chute at the fastest point, right in the middle of the bunch (my gps says 56 kph), downhill from Bishy hill to westferry. I saw a puff of blue smoke from locked rear wheel, never seen that from a push bike before. I steered clear.

Bunch of grazes and bust carbon but everyone walking afterwards. I think there were four riders looking for a taxi home. I decided to push on solo after that. Ride safe.

Alan

Alan, Sewing Bee meets at the lights on the track at Morrisons usually a 6.30 depart. We rode it right up until the last weekend of September due to the good weather, albeit the route got chopped slightly in the last week or so.

Can't think of any reasonable APR routes. A 3 - 5 mile circuit would be ideal. Barrmill at 9ish miles is perhaps too long if you get dropped; there's no real chance to sit up and wait to rejoin a group. Barrmill could be chopped if it ran past Giffen House and rejoined the top end road just before the RNAD. No idea what the road surface is like. Peesweep is a consideration but I'm sure it got kicked into touch previously.  

There is a short cut at Barrmill which cuts out half the circuit (if dropped) - turn left at the house by the top of the first two wee rises - brings you out just after wee bridge on 3rd side of course.

Surface is better than road between top of clune and BoW last time I looked - there is only a few bits to watch out for and they are not particularly high speed sections. Gripes about surface are not really valid IMHO. Course is probably optimum in terms of road width, visibility & volume of traffic.

Just my opinion.

• 2023 Subscriptions

The 'truncated' peesweep circuit is ok road wise. Main road up the hill turn left then take first left at crossroads beck down to main road. 3.6 miles per lap and perfect for a apr. I'd be up for that next Tuesday for a change if there are numbers , looks like a few folks on holiday though.