Annual Loch Eck Drum Up Sunday 9th Nov.

chung

• Life Members

Hi All,

Just like to share our FIRST "Drum Up" experience from yesterday on Loch Eck - orginised by a very welcoming & friendly Geoff & Linda Smith & Ian Loughran of the Glasgow Couriers CC:

http://www.braveheartfund.co.uk/Community/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13987

Four of us - Alan Michael, Bill T, Iain McGinty & myself cycled to Gourock to catch the 10am ferry for a crossing over to Dunoon.

The bunch was split up with some heading straight to Loch Eck via Sandbank to prepare the fire in advance, while a few of us took in the climb over to Ardentiny. A swift decent dropped us back onto the shores of Loch Eck where Geoff & co had already got the fire going, fantastic to be warming ourselfs in front of a rear fire.

Slowly but surely the drum up group started to swell & a big group of (I think) Inverclyde Velo boys joined in the fun. Even Dennis White (Ex-Wheeler who resides in Blackwood now) made an appearance along with the ever green Jocky Johnstone joined in the fun too!

I was given advise before hand by Bill as to what these "Drum-Ups" are about, so I packed my wee musette full of jam pieces, biscuits, tea bags and hope to improvised (a mobile cafe stop really) At first I was a bit apprehensive as to what to do, but seeing the "pros" at work got me experimenting with our limited resources along with Roy from the "Nightingales". It was so much fun, eating & drinking what can only be describe as "crude" food cooked on an open fire & with soup cans (or proper billy cans with wheel spoke as handle - genius :-)), but with the beautiful scenery & brilliant company, it was fantastic!

Oh, and there was some cycling involved to, 105km door to door from Bishopton, great day out!

Here's a few photos just to show that I wasn't dreaming :-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55693145@N05/15130767143/in/set-72157646894692384/

I would highly recommend that all keen cyclist to try it at least once and experience this unique "cycling culture" of by gone years, and it's surely one that I hope to participate again!

Big Thanks again to Geoff & Linda Smith, and Ian Loughran of the Couriers and everyone that went along, Cheers!

Regards

Thanks for reading

Chung