Fat Lads Flat Chance

Gummers

Bunch finish for all three JW participants today. Strange race where pace was slow on the North leg due to gusty headwind. Managed to stay out of it by hogging the gutter while Paul and Andy did a bit more work at the front. Finished feeling strong for a change and particularly enjoyed the 40 + mph downwind section. Billy you would have enjoyed this one. You should enter the 'Let's go round again' race as I think it's on the same course.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good racing today! Eight laps of a 5 mile circuit. Strong headwind made for slow going heading north on A77. Lots of moves and breaks which were mostly closed down on the southerly stretch. Andy Prenelle clocked 50mph in the following car. Followed Paul's advice and stayed towards the front end particularly for the roundabout turns. All Joansin safe in the final bunch. 7th for Paul, 17th for myself. Not sure about Colin's place but well up. My best finish yet and I had energy to spare today. Hoping this bodes well for the season!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Unusual race today, a race of 2 legs x 8 laps. Leg 1 into block headwind and very cautious. Leg 2 was well over 40mph each time with slight downhill and tailwind. Many short lived attacks although 2 guys had a serious dig last 2 laps and one was only caught in last few hundred metres. Bunch sprint of about 40 riders into the aforementioned headwind. Was a howler in the sense there were lots of people getting out the saddle and going for it only to hit the wind and die. Lots of clashing handlebars and sweary words. With everyone starting the sprint I thought I better go for it against better judgement before it is too late. Started sprint, hit wind, sat back down, let someone come past then started again. Ended up 7th. Chapeau Andy on best RR result to date in p17 and Colin in p31.