Rothesay APR 22nd September

Gummers

• Administrators

Fab day out on the Isle of Bute watching the racing.

Think there were about 10 joansin riders, some in the Apr and some in the novice race.

Paul was first blue and yellow home in the Apr and Ian first blue and yellow home in the novice just behind the leaders.

Hopefully have a few photos and maybe some video later.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah good day out, weather was surprisingly warm.

The novice race started off a bit more serious than i was expecting with Walkers CC having their riders working together with (what sounded like) a road captain telling them what to do. When we got to the first climb their rider at the front peeled off his job done and he let their better climbers through - I was fearing the worst at this point! However got over the first bit ok then it levelled off a bit and the pace picked up again and managed to get in a group of 7 and we had a small gap of a few wheel lengths down the descent then the next ramp it grew and that was us away for the rest of the race. I climbed ok and was pleased to stick with the group over the hills and wasn't doing much work on the flat either so was feeling good. I started to think about what to do next and on the false flat before the descent to Port Bannatyne i attacked thinking it was about a mile to the finish line and got a good gap. However after about 1.5 miles the finish line still wasn't in sight and my legs were gone so ended up getting caught and not being able to respond - ended up 5th i think. Should have sat in and waited for the sprint but for a short while it was fun doing the attack and being out on my own with just the lead car in front.

Average speed was 22.5 mph so maybe i should have entered the APR - however i've never done a road race before so didnt know what to expect and i was surprised that it was over 20mph and also that i didnt get dropped on the hills. Although if i'd been in the APR i suspect that would have happened!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tough going in the novice race as the pace was fast from the off and Mount Stuart hill is just a killer if you are off the back as it turns into a mainly solo time trail for the rest of the race. Finished about 3/4 down the field in fairly respectable time. First three home were teenage boys who looked about 7 stone soaking wet. Carol was the first vet lady home and won a prize again. Dave

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy

It was a fine day out and hats off to Ian for a strong performance in the novice race. Paul and I headed out in Group 3. Mixed start with 16 or so guys but some reluctance to work as a full train. Very quickly after the Mount Stewart Climb the working bunch came down to 3 Couriers, 2 Wheelers and three other guys from Inverclyde, ERC and Glasgow Wheelers. Coming into Rothesay the pace seadily climbed with a catch of part of group 2.

At the turn I knew there was a wee ramp so I stamped on the pedals to stay high up the front for the forthcoming climb. Scott Newman and I ended up out ourselves until the catch at the top if the climb. Paul switched to the big ring or at least tried to. Desperate minute of so while I game him my wheel and another (wiser) guy gave him a push to stay on. Just as Paul was about to think curtains the gear moved into place. Pace continued then the 4 elite guys arrived. Pace was strong but fine then after the climb before mount Stewart the perverbial hit the fan. Bunch split into 2 groups. Much suffering was had. I managed to get back on the second group with Paul and hold his wheel. Come Mount Stewart I was off again. Worked with the hard working ERC guy to the climb but he was busted at the top. Long solo down to line. Think I was 40secs down on Paul's bunch. Over the line I was emptied. 24 mph average pace. Good day and great end to a first season of racing. Completely bitten by the bug now.

Andy

Paul put me in group 2 although offered me the choice of 3 or 2. I decided that I could always go with group 2 to see what the pace felt like and could always put in a dig if I was feeling good. Turned out I wasn't so no such dig possible. The group started out in chain gang fashion which meant pulling through to the front in fairly quick changes as there were 14 in the group. After the mount Stewart climb this was down to about 9 as the pace was high. As it got strung out before ballanlay it became harder to take spells and I found myself at the back of the string On the next climb up I was dropped but kept up a reasonable pace picking up guys from group 1 who weren't for doing any work so luckily group 3 caught me just before port bannatyne. I was able to sit in with this group most of the way back but sat too near the back and lost ground in a corner and couldn't get back on. Good day out on the bike. Doing a review of the season and thinking about goals for next year now

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yes Rothesay was grand day oot as always. Weather was best it has been for many years, usually wet, wild and dung spattered roads. Sunday was dry, warm with dry dung. I had a temporary break from my break from racing as the prospect of a dry Rothesay was just too good to miss. I am weak but it was worth it!

Andy and I in group 3 of 4. Group 4 had only 4 elite chappies. First 15 miles were purgatory for me as I have only being doing weights for past couple of weeks but came round a bit after turn. Lost big ring for a bit where Andy and another guy I know very generously pushed me. I had accepted I would need to chuck it as the road flattened out and the big ring would be required. I was frantically spinning the 34-12 when suddenly I got big ring back so of course had to stay there for remainder. Elite group catching us jacked up the pace and eventually the group blew apart amongst much munching of stems. Andy and I were in group of 8 or so approaching last long drag with 6 to go. Andy, performing exceptionally well in his first season racing ( hard to believe that one) just lost contact or so he told me as I couldn't see anything except a reddish haze and a hub in front of me. And so road racing over for a few months but there is always track which I shall be returning to after the remainder of my 1 month break.

Ohyadancer!

Hey

And we are not a racing club

Well done to all

One of the most represent clubs through the wosca series and usually have a massive presence at the track

Paul enjoy your break I am finishing week one and ticking the rest off can't wait to start again