Vets RR

Guest EPCC

Another good day for a race not

Lovely two lap course for us older vets and ladies to play on the first lap was mostly club run pace and everybody was together until the drag up the end of Flanders moss a hellish head wind and a lift in pace caused some fractures myself and al were caught out a but as our string broke I managed to get back on at a cost as not long after and just before lap two 5 riders got away I sat in and recovered thinking we would work to drag them back but no

Tried to up the pace at front but not enough help so at about two to go I went on a suicide attack actually would have paced it fine if we finished at the btm of the hill as that's where I was empty and the bunch caught me and rode away

Enjoyable day 60 miles no food or drink as I left food in George's car and drink in my house

The younger vets will post there report soon

Guest George

Day started with much head shaking as billy turned up with no drink & a front tyre that looked like a rabid dog had chewed it.

How he got round on that tyre with no drink I'll never know.

As for my race? Pffffft. First 10 miles were no problem then we turned into a crosswind section & the race blew apart.

Had lost concentration & drifted to back of the bunch & got caught out as the group went thru a few sharp turns.

Game over.

Wasn't even struggling but the gap had gone within 5 seconds.

Rather than chuck it I got in with a couple of guys & rode with them, caught a decidedly scunnered Andy who quickly disappeared then caught Colin who sat in for a bit then worked with us. Alas, Colin quickly saw sense & chucked it too

3 left in my group, then 2. My companion was a wee 5ft 2 guy who afforded no shelter so I just plugged away at the front by myself.

He started to struggle on the climbs so, rather than ride the last 15 miles myself, I coaxed him a bit but after another couple of miles he had had enough.

Left him behind, of course I punctured then. So changed the tube & rode to the finish.

I say the finish but there wasn't a soul there by the time I arrived. Boo!

Had fun but am ruing my naiviety as I had the legs to hang on for longer than I did.

Still managed 20.8mph for the 60 miles though.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yip another good race, same course for 40-50s which had me, Andy,Colin and George in the field. So 2 guys went from the gun, then one more and then I went after about 5 miles and took one other. We teamed up with the single guy and worked at it for 5 miles or so however when we turned into the crosswind I thought 'mm not such a good idea at this stage!' Anyway got caught on the short climb at Thornton and spent the rest if the race in the bunch. Did not see any of the other JWCC guys after I was back in bunch but saw Colin and George at finish, I'll letbthem report. I finished mid bunch on the drag up to the finish. Harassed that I can't finish better on the uphills as all the races seem to finish up a hill these days!

:)

Yup, as Billy said I went off towards the end of the first lap - need to up my threshold ! Did a 2 up downwind and then eased to let another 5 stragglers get on. The group worked pretty well in the cross /headwinds. Started drifting off on the Moss rises but got back in for the home run. Dropped one somewhere so 6 for the so called sprint. Uphill finish had me finished and was last of our bunch. Fun ? Seems ok now.

A day to forget for me. Started ok if a little further back than I meant but managed to pull forward until the first left turn however due to my own woeful cornering technique I was left with big gaps to close as the bunch went round. Through some twists in the road I then had to increase effort considerably in order to stay in touch with the bunch which I managed to do - just. Then came the little rise into the village and I had just lost too much ground to the front of the bunch and ended up sliding out the back. George and a few others caught me up and I worked with them for a bit but decided that it was better to save my legs for another day. Chapeau Paul for finishing well up and Billy doing well in the over 50's. The over 50's will have to watch out when I join them next year ! :madashell

Billy, you need a half decent domestique. no food, no fluids, gubbed front tyre. Tsk tsk with a weary shake of head. What's the point of training all year for the pre race prep to let you down. Naughty corner MacB.

The rest of you racing type fellows, tough day with that wind. To echo Couttie - glad I wasn't there, but aim to be next year.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I think I must have been completed delusional yesterday. Spent the first 10 miles off at the front, chasing a break down then at the sharp left had no acceleration and 60 riders just went right by me. Toddled around the lap, had a cup of tea and went home.

Must remember when I have a strategy to stay in the bunch around position 15 just do that. What a numpty!

Well done Paul, Billy, George and Colin! Looking forward to WOSCA on 8th September!

Andy

I was chatting to Jason Smith from Glasgow Green CC today. He reckons our racing boys are some of the friendliest on the racing scene, to quote " not like other clubs". Says it all.

As for Billy MacBagel what can I say. The diet of Scottish champions. Beer followed by more beer, all washed down with steak and chips. As a nation we salute your small intestine MacB - Outstanding! Reckon you should trademark the MacBagel tag, might annoy a certain restaurant franchise in time.