Blackwood to Peebles and Back 100 mile Run – 12th May - 6th Edition

Dennis

A wee reminder that this popular social event will take place on Sunday, 12th May 2013 – 4 weeks from today and it would be great to see as many JWCC'ers as possible. New and auld kent faces alike! The Borders beckon!

The route, distance and profile can be seen by following this link - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2317717

HOW AND WHEN & WHERE – Meeting at free car park next to Blackwood Primary School, off Southfield Road, Blackwood at 9am. Departure is at 9.30am sharp. More sophisticated banter guaranteed!

If coming from the north, leave M74 at J8, onto A71 for Kilmarnock, quarter mile to Canderside roundabout and take first exit on B7078 to Blackwood for 3 miles. A half mile after entering the village (after St John’s Primary School and a park on the left), turn left at small crossroads (Shopsmart newsagent facing you on the corner) into Southfield Road. Car park is on the right after100 yards.

[Alternative route from the north, leave M74 at J9 (Lesmahagow) and turn left onto B7078 and almost immediately enter villages - follow route through the villages as below.]

If coming from the south, leave M74 at J10 (Lesmahagow) onto B7078 and follow signs for Blackwood. After a mile, enter Kirkmuirhill (both villages are joined at the hip) then on into Blackwood, where you will see the brand new Blackwood Primary School on the right. Turn first right after that school and the car park is on the right after 100 yards.

ABOUT THE RUN - As usual, the main feature of this run is to keep the bunch together throughout, apart from the bigger hills, where we go our own pace and always re-group at the top. Using the latest in infrared laser technology, no one is encouraged to shoot off the front! We’ll all ride for each other, which means that we all check the back for tail-enders and don’t increase the pace at the front.

A nice, steady pace also makes this run inclusive, and provides any rider who has never ridden this distance before a great opportunity to ride a 100 miles for the first time. Spell changes are frequent, which makes it more enjoyable for all, and has the added bonus of ensuring that all the riders finish as fresh as the day they started! And know wot? It usually works!

A benefit of this enjoyable Borders run is that it helps riders to ‘get to know themselves’ over such a long distance, without worrying about being dropped. This is useful experience for tackling the long sportives, audaxes etc, particularly at someone else’s pace. There will be some fairly challenging climbs included in the 6000+ feet of overall climbing and the average overall speed will probably be about 13/14 mph so, although not super-fast, riders still have to ensure that they are fit enough so the whole group is not held back unduly. As well as being fit, it’s very important to eat and drink regularly during the run to avoid cramping up, hitting the wall or, as we older cyclists used to say, getting the bonk!. This can’t be stressed enough…

WHO’S COMIN’ – As well as Royal Albert members, we again hope to welcome riders from the Johnstone Wheelers, and some riders from Hawick (and possibly East Lothian) will also be joining us this year.

WHERE THE GRUB IS – Lunch will again be at the Scots Pine, near Eddleston, at just under the half-way point. As usual, sustenance will be provided at the end, after we drop down into Blackwood, at 'Morag's Cafe' in Vere Road, Blackwood. The event and the grub afterwards is free, but riders will have to fork out for the lunch!

HANDS UP! - For catering purposes (lunch and post-run grub), can we please have a fresh show of hands from those who are coming. Many thanks.

Dennis

• Life Members

Greetings Dennis,

Please put me down as a provisional participant. If its ok Dennis, I'll confirm when I come back from Majorca?

Always enjoy this run immensely, great company, wonderful scenery & best of all magic end of ride hospitality & spread from Morag.......simply the best!

I would highly recommend this ride to all Wheelers, especially if you're looking to break the 100mile ride duck!

Looking forward to it already.

Regards

Chung

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing you, Ian and Chung, and any other JWCCers!

Weather forecast for this Sunday is not too bad so far - 14C and enough wind to have an easy ride each way. Remember, this is a controlled-pace and keep-it-together run (in fantastic countryside) to allow everyone to finish as fresh as the day they started! With a halfway lunch stop and grub at the end.

Dennis

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Dennis,

best of luck for the run. After their excellent showing in Flanders I would have like to have brought Danny and Lewis along to break their 100 duck but... racing in Dundee (them, not me obviously. I just drive).

Maybe one of these years!

Cheers

Martin

• Life Members

Hi Dennis,

I can confirm that I'll be coming for this.

Also, would it be ok for 2 former Wheelers to come along for this too, they express real interest in joining and wants me to ask for you confirmation first before attending un-announce? I'm pretty sure you know one of them as he did the run a few years back!

Regards

Chung

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

mistake sorry take the word ' my " out ! :oops:

Campbell, no need for apologies.

JWCC is a a club for all, irrespective of their sex, gender, ethnicity or orientation.

Hello sailor ! :wub:

Thanks again to Dennis and Morag for a fine day out in the borders countryside and superb hospitality as always!

I say a fine day out and it was.. a fine winter run! Cold and wet for most of the way with significant headwinds on the return leg. Attention to detail is all... Dennis having the foresight to reserve lunch tables in a cafe with a multi burner stove - much appreciated and necessary for drying oot!

Good sized bunch with fine representation from JWCC past & present.

Iain

• Life Members

Many Thanks to Dennis for the organisation & Morag for her hospitality!

A splendid run as usual despite the weather, good to ride with cyclist from other local clubs - The Royal Albert etc.

Thanks also to all for the wheels to follow, it makes the tough conditions a lot more bearable!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Echoing the comments of others; great run in conditions more akin to December than May.

Thanks to Morag And Dennis for their hospitality, warm house and warm soup!! Not forgetting the cakes!!

Tom

Thanks for your company guys and great to see you all once again. Morag says many thanks for the flowers and I say many thanks for helping to keep things together. Sean, the round the world man, thought it was 'cool' that the bunch started and finished together. Unheard of over here! All the others enjoyed the run (apart from the weather) and Ian and Gordon from Hawick "were delighted to be there".

Please can you let me know if there's a nice big JWCC club run into far-away country coming up, as I'd like to come along if I can.

Dennis