Bogs bunch

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Usual good run roon the coast today for me, Fergus and Iain.

Steadier than usual to Largs. Iain headed up the Healy Brae. I got to W Kilbride and punctured before the fun started :(

C'est la vie.

Had the joy of a singular habble home into the headwind.

Ohyadancer!

No luck on the puncture, Paul.

I was doing well, holding my own until things heated up towards Lugton and apparently I displayed some poor discipline by moving across the road as someone was coming up my inside... Can't say I really understand what was happening as it seemed pretty disorganised.Anyway, I got a bollocking and was later told that I should have moved out to the middle of the road and let people through on my inside. Oh well, lesson learnt I guess :/

• Members

This sounds very much like a phenomenon I experienced on Anniesland runs last year. One person unilaterally decides to swap the fast line and the slow line, making changes towards the outside rather than the inside, because of "the wind". This is normally done without any verbal communication or discussion with other riders, throwing the entire bunch into total chaos. I wouldn't worry about it, Fergus.

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

The tiny wee guy in the bogs bunch seems to see him self as the Hinault/Indurain "patron" figure.

Have witnessed him doling out not so friendly advice a few times.

I don't understand Spanish or French though so I just ignore him. ;)

• Committee

Hi

Riders in other clubs will read this. Let's keep them friends.

Many of the bogs bunch are very experienced cat 2/3 racers and are sharpening their significant skills and strength for full-on race season.

May I suggest that you speak to the guys in the bunch to clarify the usual etiquette. The Couriers have had far more guys in this bunch than us for the past few years. It's "their" run but it's great to work together.

Your comfort and safety in the bunch depends on mutual trust and respect and, dare I say, friendship. You're more likely to get a tow home if you've chatted a few times. Otherwise it's the gutter for you and no-one will cast a look backwards. Friends in the bogs bunch may well mean friends in your next RR!

Yes, the direction of rotation changes and it often goes clockwise on the ride back. Yes, you get shouted at. So what. Good practice. In a RR the direction of rotation should change with the wind anyway. Wind, shmind, whatever. Just enjoy the ride and hang on to Barrhead! If you can.

Share the love

Alan

PS Paul, very convenient puncturing at W Kilbride.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan

Well said

Bogs bunch is a steep learning curve at beginning but all the guys I have met have been really helpful and friendly and long may it continue. I still have a problem when the fast lane changes mid run but probably cos I am trying to hide by that time. Hope to return to bogs bunch once mended

Hi

Riders in other clubs will read this. Let's keep them friends.

Many of the bogs bunch are very experienced cat 2/3 racers and are sharpening their significant skills and strength for full-on race season.

May I suggest that you speak to the guys in the bunch to clarify the usual etiquette. The Couriers have had far more guys in this bunch than us for the past few years. It's "their" run but it's great to work together.

Your comfort and safety in the bunch depends on mutual trust and respect and, dare I say, friendship. You're more likely to get a tow home if you've chatted a few times. Otherwise it's the gutter for you and no-one will cast a look backwards. Friends in the bogs bunch may well mean friends in your next RR!

Yes, the direction of rotation changes and it often goes clockwise on the ride back. Yes, you get shouted at. So what. Good practice. In a RR the direction of rotation should change with the wind anyway. Wind, shmind, whatever. Just enjoy the ride and hang on to Barrhead! If you can.

Share the love

Alan

Alan, I was aware of most of this before I posted and hope I didn't come across as whinging. I should mention that I did chat to a couple of the guys after soloing to Barrhead and they explained the issue/reason for the shouting plus a couple of other pointers (e.g don't half-wheel at the front). Seemed like a good bunch of guys, but yeah I definitely need more practise in fast bunch riding.

Cheers G,

I'll be heading thru Paisely circa half 9 or there abouts if you fancy meeting up.

Without wishing to supply Doc McLean with meaningful data for his earlier posting, Haylie, Kilbirnie, track to Paisley and then onto Carmunnock as a solo rider is going to be quicker than the full coast, Kilwinning and Lochlibo Road to Barrhead with the Bogs. Bear in mind I'd probably get dropped around Kilwinning and would be riding solo in anycase!!!!!!!!

M

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Mark,

I'll get you at Dooleys 9.45am, if that suits.

I'll leave the number crunching/stats to those more qualified.

Anything trickier than the 6x table and my head hurts.

Good man Iain, that'll give me a wheel to hug back as far as Kilbarchan. I wouldn't envisage a stop in Largs, much that I do enjoy the BB's wares. My 'time constraints' are of the genuine variety and not just because there's a fair chance I'll be gubbed by the time I climb the Haylie Brae.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

This might help with planning

Bogs bunch timeline is fairly predictable. Largs between 11.50 and noon.

Lugton between 1300 and 1315.

Planet pain by 1330.

:)

Paul

I think you'll find that some of us are faster than you and make it to Planet Pain before 1pm! ;-)

Andy