Don Smith Memorial Ride 3rd March 2013

KennyS

What is it?

An open, unsupported, reliability ride organised by Johnstone Wheelers in memory of Don Smith, a stalwart of the club and a much respected member of the cycling community for many years.

We’d like to invite all cyclists to come along and join us for a ride – leisurely or strenuous, it’s up to you. First and foremost the Don Smith is a social event. It is not a race. It gives the opportunity to enjoy some good roads in the company of friends old and new, followed up by some excellent catering back at HQ.

Registration

Online registration coming soon

Although we would prefer that riders pre-enter to give an idea of numbers. Entry on the day is also available

When?

Sunday 3rd March. Doors open 08:30

Event HQ

Lochbarr Services, Lochwinnoch PA12 4JB

Use of sports centre facilities: changing rooms, lockers, showers

On site car parking.

Catering.

What does it cost to take part?

The entry fee is £8 for seniors and £4 for juniors / concessions.

Supported Charities

Monies raised will be split evenly between the Braveheart Cycling Fund and the Accord Hospice in Paisley.

The Braveheart Fund was launched in 2003 by former British champion, Brian Smith. Brian is the son of Don as well as being an Honorary Life Member of Johnstone Wheelers, a former Motorola professional and Giro d’Italia survivor. The aim of the Braveheart Fund is simple: to raise the funds to allow young Scottish cyclists, be they roadies, trackies or mountain bikers, to fulfil their potential.

The Accord Hospice in Paisley, is an independent charity giving free medical and nursing care to those in Renfrewshire and parts of East Renfrewshire whose illness is causing physical pain and emotional stress and for whom curative treatment may no longer be appropriate. www.accord.org.uk Charity No SC O13682

More details

http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/events-wheelers/reliabilities/don-smith-memorial-2013

• 2 weeks later...
  • Life Members

Hi Paul,

The Don Smith is a charity run, so its not that important that you "have" to ride at a certain speed. There will be quite a few folks doing the 45 mile run, so they split it up & set you off in groups of 10-12 anyway. Just make sure you know the route & be self sufficient like having appropriate clothing, plenty of water, food & bike repair kit and just enjoy the ride!

Somewhere along the route, you'll no doubt past & be past by riders in other groups, riding in a bunch is great (you do less work :-)). The main thing is ride at your own pace & if your son is at a young age, then you're obviously responsible for his well being & safety. Follow the Highway code & have a good one!

P.S If I've missed any thing, then other will no doubt fill you in.

Hope to see you out on the day & come say hello to the folks in Yellow & Blue, I'm not sure if we met. But always nice to put a face to a name!

Cheers

Chung

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Hi folks. I was out riding with a few of you last Sunday. I ride with Lomond Roads. I'm considering riding in this, however we have a 100 mile reliability ride on the Saturday so it'll be depending on my legs! Can people just turn up and pay on the day, or do you need to pre book?

Hi Graham, you can just turn up and enter on the line.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi folks. I was out riding with a few of you last Sunday. I ride with Lomond Roads. I'm considering riding in this, however we have a 100 mile reliability ride on the Saturday so it'll be depending on my legs! Can people just turn up and pay on the day, or do you need to pre book?

Hi Graham, it's Ian here, we had a blether last week, as Martin said, it's an open reliability, so as long as you're still in one piece after Saturday feel free to pop along either on your own or with a few friends..I'll not make it this week, but i'm sure i'll catch you at some point, you were saying you fancied joining us for some Sunday runs, given that you guys are out on Saturdays...

Cheers Ian