Track league starts next week

martin

• Members

You should be concerned! :grin: I was on 49*15 on Wednesday, on 23mm tyres. I think track riders use a nominal 27" inch wheel when talking about gear sizes, so that gave me 88.2" (I was only 0.3" out in my post the other night - my memory's not what it was!) If I go next week, I'll try 50*15, which will be 90". Based on track centre chatter, this would be too small for A and B races. I think it may also be too small for C races. I could probably go up to a 51-tooth chainring and 91.8" straightaway, but as this is all pretty new to me, I'm going to treat it as an experiment and make small, incremental increases. I don't want to go too high and lose the ability to accelerate quickly.

Your 48*16 would give you 81", Paul. The average speed for that last C race on Wedesday was 27.4mph. I did a wee calculation (correctly, hopefully!) and if you wanted to be up alongside Aidan at the finish, you would have had to spin your 81" gear at 115 rpm for five minutes! Nuff said? :grin:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2024 Subscriptions
" I was under-geared on 88.5" "

Richard

mmm..... I'm a bit concerned as I have 48-16 which, depending on what tyre size you use is only about 84"

What gear were you using and what tyre section ?

Oh ya dancer !

Was thinking of going 48/15 to start with and see how I get on with that.

• 2024 Subscriptions
Daryll,

I'm keen. Only evening I can't do is Wed, but it sounds like the league is on then anyway.

R

Ramsay

There is an accreditation 1 session 5-6 on the Wednesday. I'm booked for this, and thought I'd hang about for a bit after to watch the league.

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Daryl

I skipped level one and did two today great fun not sure if you would need to do one aslong as you remember to pedal hard going up the banking and that you did it at Manchester

• 2024 Subscriptions
Daryl

I skipped level one and did two today great fun not sure if you would need to do one aslong as you remember to pedal hard going up the banking and that you did it at Manchester

Hi Billy

I thought I'd be OK. I'm just going along because it is the first session available that I can make. Am aiming to ride the league the week after or at a push the week after that. Just want a few spins before being in the thick of it. Let me know when you are going next and I'll try and come along then as well :grin:

Colin

You will be fine there is only two rules in riding the track

Rule 1 remember to keep pedalling

Rule 2 remember to keep pedalling

Keep pressure on the pedals on the banking and you will be fine

Note it is very hot take a drink with you

• 2023 Subscriptions
I'm sure you'll be fine Colin. I'll see you there then. Aiming to get there go about 4.15.

Best phone and check Darryl. One of our Jets was there tonight to complete her accreditation, but got sent away:

"Unfortunately we arrived up tonight to find out that the track is out of commission till the lighting is installed for the forthcoming world cup event, Much disappointment all round"

Same stories on the BH forum.