Combined Bunch Ride Sun 23rd Sept '12

Mark O

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Life Members

Big Thanks to Mark O for organising the run & for everyone that turned out which made it what it is - a splendid day on the saddle indeed. Mark even manage to sort put the weather too. You must have friends in high places.

I agree with Len regarding doing this run again. I would go so far as to suggest doing this every month, say the last Sunday of each month! How about it Mark & Greig?

Special mention should go to a few of the new faces & young pretenders for going the full way. Well done indeed!

Let's not forget Greig & Elaine for their professional catering service in the end. Beats BB hands down in my book, thanks a lot guys!

PS: Hope Andy & Ross are ok after their wee tumble on the track. You guys have been competing all day, it's only fitting that both of you fall together! :-( hope it didn't hurt much. Get well soon my friends!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thoroughly enjoyable day today, great weather, 2 nice big bunches, Bagel Basket nust have been rubbing their hands all right :!:

Well done to Captain Mark, and Greegs and Elaine for the scones Gawn, gie's a kiss. and the service..

Hope the knee's alright Dr Gumley, don't give up your day job for a Cyclocross career :grin:

McGinty

Weather permitting????!!!!!! Griegsy you're not going to tell me your famous 30 Milers are running scared of a wee bit of Scottish winter weather. Oh the indignity of it!!!!! :icon_mooning

Joking aside, the 30 milers all handled the pace yesterday with ease, with most people appearing to be well within their limits. It may be an idea for the 30 milers and intermediates to ride with the main over the next few weeks while the main bunch is taking it relatively easy on flatish routes.

Even if you guys had to work a little more than usual in terms of pace for say 20 miles before pulling off to do your own thing. Would improve your bunch riding and fitness levels as well as keeping the groups in touch. The distance didn't phase anyone and while the pace was slower than what the main bunch usually rides at it wasn't so far off as one might think - good recovery ride pace Zone 1 or 2 in Mac Bagel speak. The only other differences were the speed on the climbs and the recovery time required after them. That's just fitness which could be developed.

I know that Glasgow Green CC do this, with the groups coming together again towards the end of a ride too on occasion.

Only a sugestion and it doesn't have to be every week either but something worth thinking about. Perhaps would assist those riders who might wish to make the step across to the main bunch but who are possibly unsure of their abilities.

M

Mark i'm sure i can speak for the famous hardy 30 milers when i say weather is no barrier for us ( this has been proven over the past few winters when weve had the biggest bunches OUT in the most horrendous weather ) my comment was merely meant to say that we will forgive others for not coming out to play in the snow etc. From reading your post our bunch has opened a few eyes in terms of our fitness and ability to ride with the ' main bunch ' are you running scared if the intermediates join with us then youse will no longer be known as the main bunch but the bunch formerly known as such mcbagel wont reply as he will be watching his new bike change colour before him :lol:

Both are good suggestions better to have a good size bunch out where you can get some shelter rather than 1 or 2 feeling miserable in the cold i will put forward your suggestions to the bunch and watch out for your posts you just never know who might turn up for a flat run

Greig Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions
Weather permitting????!!!!!! Griegsy you're not going to tell me your famous 30 Milers are running scared of a wee bit of Scottish winter weather. Oh the indignity of it!!!!! :icon_mooning

Joking aside, the 30 milers all handled the pace yesterday with ease, with most people appearing to be well within their limits. It may be an idea for the 30 milers and intermediates to ride with the main over the next few weeks while the main bunch is taking it relatively easy on flatish routes.

Even if you guys had to work a little more than usual in terms of pace for say 20 miles before pulling off to do your own thing. Would improve your bunch riding and fitness levels as well as keeping the groups in touch. The distance didn't phase anyone and while the pace was slower than what the main bunch usually rides at it wasn't so far off as one might think - good recovery ride pace Zone 1 or 2 in Mac Bagel speak. The only other differences were the speed on the climbs and the recovery time required after them. That's just fitness which could be developed.

I know that Glasgow Green CC do this, with the groups coming together again towards the end of a ride too on occasion.

Only a sugestion and it doesn't have to be every week either but something worth thinking about. Perhaps would assist those riders who might wish to make the step across to the main bunch but who are possibly unsure of their abilities.

M

Mark

I think this is a good proposal over the next few weeks and there may be a few folk who would appreciate that as a means of transitioning to main bunch. More importantly though it was great to meet new folk and there was a great feel to the day. Well done especially to Mark and Hugh who both shoes us some good climbing on the Haylie Brae and Hugh on working in a brisk and small bunch over to Kilbirnie!

I was sorry to miss Grieg and Elaine's catering. The Facebook scones picture looked fab!!

Thanks for all the kind words re: the fall (except Billy that is :smash ). A few hours spent the RAH saw my leg cleaned up, disinfected and saved. The most memorable moment was sliding down the track looking up at Ross' upside down face looking at me. A moment I'll treasure always :grin:

See you next weekend

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just a note of thanks to Mark for organising yesterdays run and providing the soup and to Greig and Elaine for the scones and tea. I think the idea of another mixed bunch run is a good one as there were a few 30 milers missing yesterday who would be more than up for it.

Carol :icon_yes

• Life Members

Campbell,

I had a look at the ride you were talking about:

Randonneurs - Rocky Mountain 1200

I've got 4B's for it - Beautiful, Breathtaking & Bloody Bonkers!

I can see why you're disappointed for prosponing in doing it & have to wait 4 years to do the next one.

Respect

Chung

Kev,

Tips for hills - Be skinny, be skinny and eh be skinny!

Also spin a smaller gear but do it at a high cadence rather than grind a bigger one, your legs will last longer.

Gear down early, the right choice of gear before you hit the hill saves you going clunk as soon as the road rises - you can always up it a gear if you spin out.

Measure your effort, start within your limits at the bottom and increase your cadence as you climb, if you can. Reeling in those who have gone off fast at the bottom can spur you on.

A poker face a la Indurain (remember him) is good but not as good as a cheesy grin when you glide past the less than skinny ones. Most of all Be Skinny.

M