Training Programme 12/13

Guest EPCC

Thinking of trying to organise a training group for 12/13

It will be a bit of an experiment but will need your commitment

Plan is to peak by April May 13

I want to do tests and weight measurements it will be open to all but note it will be hard

You will be expected to record every training event and do a 20 week weight programme in the first quarter / second

If you want in post ps this takes a lot of my time so commit to it or don't waste my time

Charlie you are already in working on weight and core training schedule after advice from trainer

Update on what you will be signing up for

In the main you will be signing up to periodised training plan based on the following periods

8 weeks base

8 weeks build

4 weeks intensity

4 weeks peak

? Race

Each phase will be 3 weeks training 1 week testing or recovery some of the harder session may require two weeks on and one rest recovery running along side this will be a strength training programme also utilising the taxc web site and Turbo training sessions plus others

Sample base session will be long easy run either high cadence or low cadence easy efforts

I endurance turbo session 1 technique turbo session 2 gym sessions

5 sessions per week

Also I would recommend that you record what you do

Equipment needed turbo trainer heart rate cadance and or power plus more importantly your commitment

• 2023 Subscriptions

Looking forward to it already. Ramsay do not think we r training together as such just doing the same programme but would be nice if we could incorporate a track session once a week just so I cankeep an eye on the competition.

Billy once again ta for your huge commitment. Much appreciated

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy

I echo Charlie's comments and appreciate the commitment you are showing to us. Sadly I have found that my weak and feeble body works best with two recovery days per week. But I will maximise the harder efforts missing out the easier of each week. This will not diminish my commitment to follow the regime.

Thanks

Tom

Cheers Tom

You have to listen to your body as well

I usually do Sunday run Monday weights Tuesday turbo we'd weights Thursday turbo Friday sat rest

Sometimes I double up the sessions weights with technique

Billy,

I'm all for giving this a bash, hopefully getting it right at the outset this year. That said I've never taken a structured/scientific approach to any sort of training much of the technical jargon remains a total mystery to me most of the time. Additionally, I couldn't tell you what my max heart rate is and have no solid idea about zones, pyramid sets, thresholds etc.

If I'm going to do this I'd rather do it properly and not half a$$ed because I don't understand what's be asked of me. Any thoughts as to an induction or idiot's guide evening at the club rooms to educated the plebs prior to throwing ourselves head long into this.

I know I would get something out of this and probably others would too.

M

Mark

The research suggests that to train correctly you should divid the training year into different blocks each of these blocks should then be divided to focus on what you want to achieve hence in base you will be looking to do endurance and strength along with technique

Heart rate and zones allow you to focus your traing again if out on a base run and your hr is 175 you are way to high for a steady endurance run

Regarding threshold you should train to move that higher which should mean you can go faster for longer

The science behind all this is complicated what I have stuck together is what I used last year along with stuff I have sourced from others but will post some definitions

Billy,

EH?????? :shock::-?:-?:shock:

Best I assume I know nothing of the whys, wherefores and hows. I understand the general theory of training to improve performance, beyond page 1 of The Idiots Guide to Everything however, I would be very susceptible to being sold a pig in a poke as my knowledge of the science and detailed theory is zero. Will do some reading beforehand but expect questions (lots of them!!!) and a similar number of blank stares.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions
Billy,

I'm all for giving this a bash, hopefully getting it right at the outset this year. That said I've never taken a structured/scientific approach to any sort of training much of the technical jargon remains a total mystery to me most of the time. Additionally, I couldn't tell you what my max heart rate is and have no solid idea about zones, pyramid sets, thresholds etc.

If I'm going to do this I'd rather do it properly and not half a$$ed because I don't understand what's be asked of me. Any thoughts as to an induction or idiot's guide evening at the club rooms to educated the plebs prior to throwing ourselves head long into this.

I know I would get something out of this and probably others would too.

M

+1

duncan

Ok

Few ground rules I am only a couple of pages ahead of you what I do know if you plan it you are more likely to do it secondly if you measure it you care about it

So what I can talk about periodisation of training year mezzo macro and micro cycles basic blocks and bricks that make up the main phases of the yearly plan which are

Base build intensity peak and race

What I know little of is nutrition so if you want I will either post an idiots guide or organise a night that we can discuss

Hi

Just a note to say that the base phase will start first Monday in October I will not be doing anything other than riding my bike and the APR until then

Note not doing anything is not good

Can those who want to follow pm email addresses as I have weight programme and some paper work to send

Note two base is mainly endurance form and strength lasting eight weeks with two blocks of 4

Three weeks work one week testing or lesser volume to let body adapt

We will utilise taxc turbo workouts so download from website

This is a follow on from last years experiment and such it has changed a bit most of the hard work will not start until the build phase where you will find your thresholds for suffering

Posted a bit on training plans in general will post some guff on heart rate zones latter

Note three the weight training will hurt so make sure you practice form and are fit enough to do it

Planning a mass weigh in sometime October

• Committee

Duncan, you can't do it all.

Ideal weekly tri regime might be:

Bike

Long ride

Hill repeats

TT sustained efforts/position

Speed session/leg speed

Run

Long aerobic run

Track session/speed work

Threshold/AT runs

Swim

Sprints

Aerobic/base swim

Technique sessions

Gym

Upper body conditioning/swim cord etc

Lower body/core work

Also transition training, open water session in summer, nutrition, bikefit,

Something has to give! :grin::grin:

Looking forward to the results guys.

Alan

Some key Info for those who dont know

Volume = The amount of training that we do it can be measured in miles hours or whatever, but has no measure of effort.

Intensity = The measure of effort applied during the volume can be measured by heart rate power percieved effort ( feel)

Most of the volume will be done on the long run ( bike swim or run) the taxc turbo sessions are designed to make you work harder and such are done at a higher intensity

Taxc sessions start at 1,4,7,10 and are progressive so if 1 to easy do 4

Most people will use Heart Rate or and Power to measure effort more important in build

Those who dont know maximum heart rate this method is usefull

220- Age Theoretical MHR

MHR - Resting HR x % Intensity Effort + Resting HR

Heart Rate Zones

Zone 1 65% Recovery Training

Zone 2 65-75% Easy Endurancce

Zone 3 75-85% Moderate Endurance

Zone4 85-90% Solid Endurance

Zone 5 90-95% Extensive Interval Training

Zone 6 95% Intensive Interval training

Whats next download an app like instant heart rate to record resting heart rate write down your heart rate target zones dust down the turbo and get ready for October by having a rest