SCU 100 mile TT Championship

Richard

Many thanks for the good wishes folks! In the end only Mike and I rode, Kenny having indicated he wouldn't make it on this occasion.

Honours go to Mike as usual, who recorded 4:38:21 (Av Speed 21.56mph) on his first 100 - well done indeed. I managed 4:47:09 (Av Speed 20.9 mph). Eddie Addis of Equipe Velo Eccosse won in 3:54:42, twenty eight seconds clear from Jim Cusick of the Couriers. Special mention due to Mark Ewing, West Lothian Clarion, who finished 5th in his first 100, with 4:05:19 - a great effort beating the likes of Carlos Riise who was 9th in 4:11:56.

It was a friendly and efficient event - very well organised and marshalled. We awoke to heavy rain, cold blustery conditions and low cloud. Thankfully, by the 7am start the rain had eased and by halfway it had stopped and warmed up a bit. I thought the wind freshened a bit too. Not sure about the course tho' - the first and last 4 or so miles of each lap were on freshly laid/dreaded loose chippings and the main A9 part of the course was pretty worn carriageway, which combined with heavy commercial and tourist traffic from very early on, ensured there was little chance of relaxing into the ride. Gradient was mostly drags with only two or three sharper lifts - cross winds were an issue in places given the largely shoreline location. Bizarrely, there was a sole traffic light at a T junction in Invergordon (why?), which the organisers could not secure permission to have turned off for the morning - in the event it seemed to stay at green for the duration. The real hazard there was lemming-like tourists from a berthed cruise ship, stepping out oblivious to oncoming bikes!

I felt a bit out of sorts early on - a bit stiff and sore. Just a question of patience and not fretting about what you cannot change (roads, weather, headwind, unearthly hour). By about halfway I was feeling better and it was dry! For whatever reason, I managed the second half about 2-3 minutes quicker. Both Mike and I were pretty tired at the end - new territory etc. We also shared a strange sensation over the final 4 or so miles... although finishing fairly strongly, unable to ride any longer on the extensions.. not because (for me at least) arms were tired but simply that my neck muscles could no longer support my head at that angle! My line of sight shortened to include only stem and front wheel, so a distinctly non-aero finish, riding on the tops to ensure staying upright at least!

Two advance decisions were justified; for me no aero helmet (too heavy/hot and, in my case, tired heads go down/pointy hat goes up!) - no skinsuit (need pockets for munchies).

So, an ambition of sorts fulfilled for Mike and I. Both a bit non -committal about a second go -mibbies aye/mibbies naw - early yet!

Many thanks to Mary for handing us bottles up (on cue - unlike the supporter engrossed in the Sunday paper who missed the rider!) and general support.

Anyone for next year?

Iain