Ayr Century - Sunday 24th June

Tony

Hi Folks

hoping to do the Ayr-Newton Stewart run on Sunday the 24th of June this year. Start time will be 0900, probably returning to Ayr at around 1800. Overall average speed likely to be around 13-14mph 8-)

Route map:

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=230692

...it is 97 miles. Classic route with a couple of significant climbs (by UK standards) that used to feature in the Girvan 3-day Premier Calendar race.

Directions to start:

Heading down A77 past Ayr - go thru the roundabout signposted A713, then under a railway bridge, and then about half a mile after that you come to a wee staggered crossroads. The road on the left is signposted Corton, the one on the right is Alloway. Turn right and that's you in Doonholm Road (heading into Ayr, towards Alloway). Bear right at the next roundabout and you will shortly come to Burns Cottage. When you get to Burns Cottage turn left, head down the road a couple of hundred yards and you will see public parking spaces on the left hand side of the road (opposite the big houses). When we have parked and unloaded our bikes I suggest we gather in the car park behind Burns Cottage as it's a nice open space away from the road.

Cafe stops: Yes there are two!

1. Lunch at the Cree Inn, Newton Stewart

2. "High Tea" at the Village Hall, Barr. (Open 1330 to 1700 - I expect we will get there about 1600).

Now a word about hills. There are a few on this route, of which the foremost are:

Doughty Hill (@ 18 miles)

I don't know if this climb really has a name, but I know that when you get to the top (1100 feet) there is a forestry track going off to the right which is signposted "Doughty Hill" hence the name I have given it. Take care on the descent to North Balloch, which is quite exciting (especially if there are cows on the road)

Nick O' Balloch (@ 22 miles)

A stiff climb to the highest point of the route (about 1200 feet) followed by a very long gradual descent towards the River Cree.

Pinmore Step (@ 72 miles)

Again I don't know if this really has a name but it's the steep ramp that takes you up out of the Stinchar valley towards Pinmore Mains farm on the road to Barr. Steepest climb of the day at 20% but only for a couple of hundred metres.

Milton Hill (@ 81 miles)

The climb from Milton Brig to the wind farm (850 feet).

...the main reason I am going into detail here is because I want to highlight the fact that there are plenty of opportunities to show off your climbing legs (it's all good fun) whilst reminding people to regroup at the top :grin:

Post here if interested

Thanks

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Hoping to make this one - assuming I get back from Ireland ok. Was hoping to take the train down to Ayr, but the first train from Glasgow does not get to Ayr until almost 10:00, so will need to make some good brownie points to get the car on Sunday.

Boyd

Forecast for Ayr/Newton Stewart for Sunday currently showing as "showers / sunny spells" - same as last year and the year before iirc 8-) I will check again tomorrow (Friday). If the forecast has suddenly got much worse I'll cancel/reschedule and will post a message on here no later than 9pm on Friday stating that.

Re the Albert guys: anyone got a contact number for Dennis? Failing that I will try to sign up to their website & put a message on their forum.

Anyone got space in their car for Boyd? I'm getting a lift from BillT, not sure if he has space for 3 bikes in the back.

Latest Met Office forecast for Newton Stewart for Sunday 24th June:

[attachment=0]NS.png[/attachment]

...the Ayr forecast is more or less identical. See you tomorrow morning at Alloway at 0900. Oh ya dancer !

One thing I want to emphasise - for people who are new to this - don't park in the space behind Burns Cottage. Although it is free it closes at 1700 or 1730 and we might not be back by then. Best to stick to the free public parking spaces along the side of the road as described in my initial post.

If you're going to be late you can call me on 07896-153853.

Thanks

Tony

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great run today. Thanks for keeping me going folks, and thanks for the lift, Alan. Finished with the back tyre well on its way to being flat, so lucky it lasted till then.

My stats for today -

Trip Time 09:11:10

Riding Time 06:45:08

Riding Distance 96.95 ml

Altitude Gain 5245 ft

Avg Speed14.4 ml/h

Boyd

No rain and quite a bit of sun, the Met Office were spot-on :grin:

Roll call:

• me
    Iain Cowden
    Mary
    Bill Thomson
    Paul Cooper
    Chung
    Boyd Johnstone
    Al Yuille
    Alan Fox
    Alan Broadfoot (Ayr Roads - Jets dad)
    Chris Johnson (GMBC - Al's pal)
    Campbell Hutcheson

...a bigger turnout than I expected given the absence of Dennis and his Lanarkshire squadra.

Garmin stats:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192419816

High tea is the new rock'n'roll :rockband