Irvine CX 2nd October

Alan McLean

• Committee

Absolutely splendid turnout from all ages in warm overcast weather.

I think the Jets got three podiums but await final results.

Duncan, James, Mike and I were in the vets race with Mulhobbit looking on enviously. Not so envious after a thorough 50 minute leg smashing on the dunes and sandy Trench of Doom.

The Wheelers posse camped at the deepest bit of loose sand in the Trench and cheered all the riders until we were hoarse. Massive entertainment. Got me a lovely VC Moulin cowbell as well, thanks guys.

Davie was so upset by the conditions that he engineered a pedal loss in the seniors race and got a DNF.

As usual, no idea of final position but spent the last three laps hard on the wheel of the uberfit Mr Durnan so either he did dreadfully or I am getting better.

400mb of photos to follow.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great day indeed. It's not as much fun watching cx as it is doing it, but still enjoyed the strong performances from all the jdub today, u8's through to vet. Special mention for dunc's dismount in the dunes ;-)

had i been riding im sure i would have been lapped by mr mclean, who was up there at the pointy end of the race all day.

Roll on Plean: 16th october.

PS mulhobbit!? :angryfire

• 2023 Subscriptions

Martin

delighted to make someone's day all the more enjoyable. Turns out head first is not the approved way of passing. :smash

never mind, good fun, now I'm finished.

Cannot believe how Craig Hardie floated over the sand, although the Mountain Bike Man as he became known, did outdo them all with popping Manuals over the sand Hello, beer !!

duncan

I have a number of pics of the Wheelers I took as I was "nesting" (as one of you guys put it) in the sand dunes. Some of them are even free from the camera shake I incurred as a result of laughing so much at the antics and repartee of the trench Posse.

Is there a central repository for photos anywhere on the website or do people just upload to their own image hosting accounts? I'm reluctant to put them on my own blog as a number are of the youth race. Let me know the best way of getting them to you. Not quite 188 though.

But as an appetite whetter: http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/13/64/32/21/genera10.jpg

Or maybe not.

Alan,

Great photos AND great result (17th) Whaur's the party, then?

Keep up the good work at the vets nationals at the weekend.

The lap times Mr Hardie and co are banging in are frankly, freakish (in the best possible way!) considering I thought I had not a bad start and consolidated to sit very comfortably mid-field before my abort.

Wonder what times the top conti pro's would be doing?

D

• 2023 Subscriptions
Thanks Davie but 17th not good enough! No idea how I could get down to sub 6.30 laps though and the sub 6 min laps are extraordinary.

Turbo tonight!

Alan

comparative lap times

6.39 lap by Jamie McCallum Rapha Condor cycles http://www.raphacondor.cc/riders-and-staff/jamie-mccallum

6.40 lap by Alan McLean JWCC :shock:

ok, comparison of best and worst, but still, JWCC vs A Rapha Domestic Pro, Chapeau Hello, beer !!

and didn't hear either him or Ben greenwood, also Rapha, shouting like a daftie and ringing bells during OUR race, their loss I reckon. Plus, Martin was making plenty noise anyway :smash:smash:smash