JWCX coaching for seniors (ok, juniors and vets too)

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi all,

The Jets have now acquired a loan of SC's portable floodlights (for our youth sessions, starting on the 21st).

This means we can think about organising sessions for JWCC too. Can we have a show of hands for those who would be interested in skills development and conditioning?

Venue likely to be Linwood Sports Centre grounds, where we do our youth coaching, although interested in alternative venues too.

Post here please!

M

• 2023 Subscriptions
Don't have one of those cx things old chap after all I am a racer now don't you know

You don't need one. MTB will do.

Sounds like fun, as long as I don't need to do the silly running/carrying bike bit the old knees would buckle

For those that want to we'll be doing plenty of that. Flying dismount and remount, jumping over hurdles, running up banking and so on. But just come along and do what your body lets you do.

M

On a related subject ....rode the "beach" section at Irvine a few times last night first attempted it on fully inflated clinchers - hard if not in some areas impassable - later deflated my tires to way below recommended minimum pressure and the difference was incredible being able to ride the full section with no real probs. This prompts the following queries.....

a) Is there any reasonably priced CX tub wheelsets on the market suitable for Campag hubs - a real longshot - or 2nd hand sets available.

B) How low a pressure can you reasonably run clinchers without being plagued by pinch flats - I would imagine this is some way below the recommended minimum based on weight / terrain etc.

© Do people who run clinchers generally take a calculated risk of increased liklihood of pinch flats v's the big advantage of better traction i.e. is the trade off of running below minimum PSI worth the risk?

Any comments welcome.

Cheers,

D

• Committee

Davie,

Fwiw I deflate the tyres until I can just about feel them bottoming out on sharp roots. When racing I just ease off a fraction at these areas and hope I don't pinch flat. Never check the exact pressure but, as you have found out, road pressures will result in wheels skipping out and a horrible unstable ride.

kenny is right. Tubs are an attractive option if you have the money. With a pair of zipps clad in dugasts you'd feel invincible but about a fifteen hundred quid poorer. Wheelsmith seem to have some less expensive classic handmade wheels which might suit.

Alan

Kenny, Alan,

Cheers for the replies I fear alas that the twin curses of slavish devotion to Italian componentry and a joint bank account mean my quest for tub status will have to wait for at least another year so Mr Hardie and co can rest easy for now.

Had a training sesh with Walkers at Irvine last night running clinchers basically as Alan described - 4 race pace laps with no pinch flats so will run with this set up maybe switching to fatter tyres - I had the skinniest there running on 32's.

Finished riding in the pitch dark so am going to make a more modest investment and get some decent lights capable of off-road night riding. An absolute blast, especially when I could hardly see through the dim glow emitted by my wee Cateye.

On this note anybody got any suggstions re. proper lighting rigs budget up to £130??

D

• 2023 Subscriptions
Hi Richard,

Long time, no post.....

Cheers for the tip-off, but here was me thinking you'd posted up to kindly offer to build me a shiny new set of tubs.

You racing at Rothesay?

D

Yellow card! :rockets

What's this mention of road racing in among the knobbly tyre talk?

Martin - aahhh the RR....merely to get a decent "base" you understand.

Richard - you and Mark should be OK for the 2-lapper. What's the worst that can happen ....shelled?

As for my musings on tubs I should probably concentrate on learning how to ride the bike first..... :-?

Maybe next year....

See you Sunday.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

OK, how many volunteers have we got?

Reading the posts above I think it's:

Duncan

Ian McGinty

Davie B

Jannza

Tom

Kenny Christie

Anyone else? I've heard a fair few people making noises about how the club should be offering coaching - here's your first offer!