Isle of Bute Road race 18 september

Guest EPCC

• Committee

Hi Billy

I may go to this.

It is a great course on very quiet roads. A couple of years ago the bunch was split by rearing horses (I just got past) which tells you something about the type of roads.

The main problem is the awful drag by Mount Stuart in the first few miles where the fit guys really put the heat on. You have to hold on here.

After this it is gently rolling with a quick spin round Port Bannantyne before heading back, again over Mt Stuart where the winning move will probably go.

Highly recommended.

Hope to get there and join you.

Ala

• Committee

Not sure if this is a APR style handicap. I've only seen this race as a massed start.

Expect pain anyway.

One lap is Rothesay to Port Bannantyne, two laps is a turn at PB then back the same way to Rothesay and three laps for the Drummond Trophy will have to have another turn back to PB somehow.

If you have done any racing or even fastish bunch riding I recommend the two laps. The worst bit is going over Mount Stuart so if you can survive that you might as well do the two laps.

Alan

• Committee

Hi. For anyone interested in racing here is a summary as i understand it so far.

There will be a great opportunity for all club members to come and have a go on Sunday, on quiet roads, and with some fair competition.

If you can ride safely in a bunch for an hour then you can race round Bute and have a choice of three races. Fantastic.

Drummond Trophy: classic Scottish road race for good racers with some professionals. Huge prize fund. About 60-70 miles and very hard but could be very exciting riding, at least for the first few miles.

Main bute race. This could be run as an apr or massed start. Should attract lots of good club riders but the Drummond will filter out the top guys and make it a bit fairer. About 40miles taking the 60m climb by mount stewart twice. Hard work but doable for any regular sunday bunch folk.

Novice race. About 20 miles with only one ascent of mt. Stewart. If you have done any tt or club runs more than hour then you might find this too short but highly recommended if you have never raced before.

Drummond trophy has only 25 entries so far but hopefully the big prize fund and kudos will attract the top riders and ensure mainly cat 4s in the main race. Drummond also has elite riders such as oliphant so definitely one for the experienced racers only.

Anyway I hope we have a good turnout. Wear your club jersey with pride and see you in Bute. Good luck to the Jets in Kelso.

One week off, then cross time.

Alan

I'm up for this.

Had chat with Richard yesterday re doing the novice race. Anyone else interested in perhaps putting together strong Joansin presence in this one.

Ferries times, as per calmac website, are 10.15, 11.00 12.00 and 13.00. Novice race starts a 14.15.

Who else is going over. Might be an idea to all go over together. I'd probably be aiming at the midday ferry but as every I am flexible.

Cheers

Mark

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys new to road racing

The 2 lap race last year had 3 groups of about 20 each. Ramsay, Greg and I were group 2 last year. I was involved in placing riders into the groups last year and it is sensibly handicapped with 3-4 mins between groups. I would encourage you to consider 2 lap race if possible as it will give much better experience of road racing, I can speak to organiser and 'probably' ensure you are in first group. Anyway the beauty of TLI is you can check it out on the day and take it from there - always the option of 1 lap race.

see you on ferry

Oh ya dancer !

Guys,

Ferry at 11 bells sounds fine. Given variable weather forecast for tomorrow I don't fancy hanging about in wet lycra for a couple of hours before and after racing. I think I'll drive to ferry and head over ad a foot passenger.

Davie, I can easily get 2 bikes in the car I you wish a lift over. I'll keep an eye on forum during day and see y'all tomorrow.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

I plan to get the noon ferry to Rothesay - the strip is literally 1 min cycle form the ferry so there is loads of time.

I plan to drive to Largs, park at end of Brisbane Glen road and leave at 11.25am to ride along the 6 miles to Wemyss Bay. Happy to collect someone in Kilbirnie or take anyone who needs alift or join up with anyone else at Largs who wants to do this option.

Oh ya dancer !

Noon ferry is fine for me too. Happy to go with the flow. Paul, I'll wait to I hear from Davie B before finalising transport to Largs/W.Bay. Regardless of Davie's plans would be good to meet in Largs and have gentle leg stretch to ferry.

OCD me says circa 11.15 meet on Brisbane Glen Rd., ready to depart 11.25.

Mark