Road races

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Road race chaps

I was thinking of going down to a crit at Dumfries 22nd May as not many options that day - however I don't think I would go that far on me own just for a crit. So wondered if anyone else interested - there is a range of crits on a closed circuit for all age groups that day. It's parts of the South West Scotland Cycling Project of which I rode a road race last week.

Also - just thought I'd post my tentative plans for the next month or two as I know a couple of the guys who want to race don't have cars so could give them a chance to plan ahead.

Vets race Dunfermline 15th May

Crit Dumfries 22nd May

Maybe crit Dumfries 5th June - see how 22nd May goes

Vets race Millport 12th June

Vets race Meigle 18th June

Eddie Morgan RR 3/4 cat 10th July

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul,

I can't make the 22nd.

In terms of the next couple of months, here is my tentative plans:

28/29 may - Dundee Stage race - Entered

5th June - Davie Bell (including the off road bit!!) - Entered

11th June - Anderside classic (maybe??)

19th June - Sam Robinson

2nd July Arthur Campbell Super 6

10th July - Eddie Morgan

16th/17th July - Either Dundee RR or Dumfries circuit race

23/24 July - Moray Firth Stage Race

There are a couple of races I need to find out a bit more about (like the Anderside Classic) before committing.

Cheers,

R

Paul,

I have entered the Dumfries Crit on 22nd May. Would gratefully accept a lift from you if you decide to go down.

I have looked at the Eddie Morgan RR on the 10th July and will go for that when the EntryCentral opens for it.

I checked out Ramsay's races but unfortunately the Davie Bell, Anderside and Sam Robinson are not open to 4th Cat riders. The Dundee RR on 16th July i will enter.

Annan Classic - 12th June (3-4Cat) Anyone up for this?

Lothian Flyer RR - 18th June (4th Cat) .........David Thompson, Interested?

Cheers, Ben

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ben,

With David's win yesterday, he is now a 3rd cat! Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer ! (He is allowed to finish the Super 6 B series, as he started as a 4th Cat)

I could really recommend the Lothian Flyer though. I did it a couple of years ago and it is a good wee circuit.

Cheers,

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ben

I have entered criterium on 22nd May. Based on last race at Dumfries I would recommend Annan Classic - however I will go for the Millport vets that day just because it's a great wee race and I don't have to drive !

I plan to enter Eddie Morgan. Dundee race on 16th July unlikely as I will probably be at Nottingham for rowing.

cheers

Oh ya dancer !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Change of plan for the next month or so at least! After my first ever DNF at the Davie Bell today, I can officially say that my head is up my a** at the moment! Really not enjoying road racing just now, so have just withdrawn my next few entries. I'm still in the Eddie Morgan at the moment, but will see how I feel in 3-4 weeks time.

Suffice to say I gutted, as I don't know why I'm not feeling the love for racing at the moment. :cry: I know that I'm not as fit as I have been, but having not enjoyed the last 5 races, clearly something is not right! :-?

Anyway, going to dust off the TT bike to keep a bit of fitness and see how I feel in a month.

R :-(

P.S. - on a cheerier note, the Davie Bell course today was genius! 2 x 5miles of forest road in a road race. Great! Well, unless you get dropped and have to eat the dust of 6 convoy cars passing you. :shock: Would recommend for next year if they do the same course, as it has a real continental feel. Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Do not despair Ramsay! I bet every single guy in that field has had a good few DNF's in their time. Keep it in context, the guys driving the pace are pro's.

Sounds like a good idea to do something different rather than put yourself off road racing. Taking a break and taking the pressure off yourself is a good move - I've seen many guys return with renewed enthusiasm.

Look on the positive, you get to do things like I did yesterday - a Billy no mates solo round the Galston leg bender - my legs feel a bit too permanently bent though. But it was brilliant.

catch you soon

Oh ya dancer !

Yeah, I would echo the earlier sentiments. You've been carrying good form over the past couple of seasons Ramsay. I think your being a bit hard on yourself, peaks and troughs isn't it?

I think your idea to do a few TT's is a good one, variety being the spice of life and all that. Im sure you will have a renewed vigour for the RR'ing after a short sabbatical. 8-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Pre report warning - contains scary material!

Started in heavy rain and got heavier all the way to end. Pretty fast given the rain and brisk wind - average 23.5mph on rolling circuit. Final lap climb was riding up through a stream on the road! About 43 in the O40's race. Break of 3 got away to end, chapeau to them, with a further 2 then 1 escaping the bunch - I think - difficult to know what was going on due to numb fingers, feet and brain! The group I finished with were about maybe 20-25 secs behind lead group, I might have sneaked top ten - didn't wait around to find out. Finish was downhill, very wet, crosswind with blanket spray :grin:

Having said all that - great to be racing and I would thoroughly recommend to all sadists, nutters and general live life to the full junkies.

Race won by a blast form the past in his first year as a vet - big Mez - Jim Millar.

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

only made top 12

Don't worry Paul. I also raced last saturday. I did the Lothian Flyer and was 41 out of 44 finishers. I was actually quite chuffed as there were 58 starters I entered this race as it was billed as good for those new to racing which was me.i do not know why I thought there would be quite a few of us 52 yo new racers however on the day I was the only guy without a race licence and the chat was about getting category 3 points whatever that means.i felt well out of my comfort zone and when people brought in spare wheels I knew i was in the wrong race Any way for good measure they added an extra lap which meant we did 6 circuits which includes a long hill section follwed by a 7th lap which just went further up the hill.Yip I got a good kicking but had a great day. for some reason every time I was on the hill I thought this would be a great race for Kenny Christie. Roll on the next race

• 2023 Subscriptions

Charlie,

Well done for hanging in. It is a tough wee circuit (especially the finish!) and 15 or so non finishers is testament to that.

Hope it hasn't put you off, as road racing is great fun. The best way to get better at it is to do it.

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

A few have asked about road races suitable for vets and such like so here is a wee summary of the delights in Aug / Sep which I plan to ride - roll up theres loads going on,

7th Aug - Super 6 A race - Falkirk - pretty much flat course - many in the bunch today would be fit enough but the key to getting round this one is positioning and staying near the front - excellent for learning to ride in a fast, large bunch where racecraft is paramount, for ref- last year was 75 miles at about 26mph average - not as scary as it sounds, honest guv

14th Aug - Vets race - Balfron - seperate race for O50 and ladies so maybe ideal for some

21st Aug - KENNY S's painfest - criterium champs at Paisley!

28th August - Vets national - Aberdeen - normally one race but with seperate results for O50 and O60.

3rd Sep - One day stage race - TLI, so age related results - Dumfries area - 4 mile TT, 20 mile crit, 52 mile RR

10th or 11th Sep - TLI British age related RR champs (for all age groups) - Newcastle - I'm up for this - be great if some others were,

17th/18th Sep - Rothesay weekend - fun for all! Hill climbs, TT's, RR's

25th sep - Castle Douglas RR - 3/4 cat - one of the series I did at Dumfries earlier in the year and it was an excellent race,

Phew - then wind down for a month or two before it all starts again,

Oh ya dancer !