Mugdock CX: round 4

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Who's coming out to get muddy this Sunday? Great course up at Mugdock, plenty of fun, and a fine wee cafe for bacon rolls afterwards.

Good place for a club run too, if any of the bunches fancy another run over the bridge. Just head up Billy's favourite the Khyber Pass and the mudfest will be on your right.

2 of us planning to go to Mugdock on Sunday. Not sure about the Khyber Pass. Think I might need directions for that one! When are you going?

Another lesson learnt from Sunday - don't throw out your helmet chip before the results are finalised. I now have to rake through my bin to find it or I may not be on the results board!

:roll:

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sunshine at Mugdock shock!

Big turnout for this event today, including a good show of yellow and blue in all 4 races.

Alan McLean made his comeback, Duncan got his new bike muddy and I never saw Mike F after the start. t was one of those days for me - couldn't remember which way was up :oops: , including a notable JW roadblock with McLean and I both down together on the first lap.

Still very enjoyable, specially eating roll 'n' egg in the cafe aftwerwards.

How did the young men (Ramsay and Kenny C) get on in the senior race?

Thanks to Stephen McLaughlin for posting the following shots of the u12 and youth races: http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/jets-photo-gallery

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good first race of the cross season for me. Seems to have cleared my cold!

The seniors race was good. I only got lapped once, and even then it was after about 40-45mins of racing, so happy with that. Didn't fall off once, but did have 30secs lost to a minor mechanical, which dropped me behind a guy I had spent a few laps catching! Never saw him again either!

Like me, Kenny finished somewhere in the mid pack. Really difficult to tell once you start lapping people and people are lapping you!

The end of today's race reminds me of coming off a rugby pitch at the end of a game. You are muddy and tired, but smiling. :grin: You are also aware of a couple of bumps and scratches, but is only when you get into the shower and the water hits other small cuts and grazes, do you realise just how many you have!

Roll on Lochgelly in a few weeks (the day after the club Presentation Dance!!! Hello, beer !! ).

Great to see so many Wheelers and Jets.

Cheers,

R

P.S. - Martin, thanks for putting me in the "young men" category. I think there were about 10 people that asked why I wasn't racing in the vets race! :angryfire Come on guys, I don't become a vet until after the Glasgow Commonwealth Games!! I must have had a tough paper round ;-)

Aye it was particularly tricky today. A very challenging course, mega slippy and rutted proving a real test. I am feeling it now, several bier's to polish off to dull the pain though.

Excellent to see so many Johnstone jersey's in the vets race. And nice to see another one in the seniors. I did manage to see the back of big Ramsay for nearly half of the first lap, thereafter I was ploughing my own furrow. Fair play to you Ramsay.

Supporter of the day goes to Rory the dog (even though he looks thoroughly fed up) I lol'd. :grin:

013-5.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cannot believe it is possible to do that. Well impressed. Just glad no photo evidence of my increasingly tired and cack handed attempts at getting back on a very slowly moving bike. It was at risk of rusting

Still great day out

Duncan.

? Round 5 in Fife- possibly. Anyone else?

Ohyadancer!Ohyadancer!Ohyadancer! Well that's me back racing, just as the season closes. And a new login too! Hello, beer !!

What a great turnout from the Joansin posse and extra marks to Kenny C for Belgian pro skinsuit stylee and to Paul who came to see us on a "road bike" (whatever that is).

The start of the vets/ladies/jrs race was gridded with series leaders at the front of an almighty rabble at the base of a big grassy hill.

I carried my bike passed the predictably huge starting crash. Best feeling of the day was beating Mulhooligan into about tenth place at the first singletrack section. OMG the boy was upset. Downhill from then on for me though.

(There are moves in BC to widen CX trails to two to three metres but we would lose half the fun.)

I hit a rear wheel at the first hairpins, came down and blocked the trail for long enough for Mul to tear past, unchallenged. "You hold them there!" he yelled back at me. He was so happy at his own wit that he quite forgot to steer and flew six feet downhill into lush undergrowth and I got my lead back (after I stopped laughing).

Bit of a painful procession after that. I was lapped much less than last year because the seniors have a separate event now. The top ladies and juniors stuffed me as usual.

Decked again in the arena a couple of times to entertain the "come on Daddy" bunch.

No idea of final position.

A very high quality day out for riders of all ages. Highly recommended. Even Duncan has a cross bike now so it must be really easy.

See you out there.

(If any admin/webmasters know where my old posts are then, if poss, I would like them back please.)

A

• 2023 Subscriptions

I was lapped much less than last year because the seniors have a separate event now. The top ladies and juniors stuffed me as usual.

A

After the 1st race of the season I thought 'not bad, only dropped for 2 laps' until (a) I twigged the above and (B) I worked out that we're only racing for 40mins +1 instead of 50 or 55 +1. D'oh!

At least this way the pain stops sooner :smash:smash

Won't make it to Fife for round 5, which means 3 empty Sundays. Thinking of posting some CX type club runs, maybe invite our racing youths along too. Anyone up for it?

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Provisional results now out for youths and seniors

Young men (field of 54): Ramsay 17th, Kenny 22nd.

Younger men: Josh Mc 8th, Lewis M 12th, Euan H dnf

Young women: Katie Mc 11th

Well done all.

No results for old men yet...

• 2023 Subscriptions

STOP PRESS: u12 Results now in from Mugdock.

Well done to all riders, and chapeau to Hamish for his 1st win in the series! After 2 second places in a row he's made the move up a step on the podium. Keep it up Hamish! 8-)

(Some girl's results missing from this list, BTW :cry: )

U12 Boys

Position Name Club

1 Andrew Merry Discovery

2 Cameron Mason West Lothian Clarion

3 Jamie Willoughby Drumlanrig

4 Callum Shackley Glasgow Riderz

5 Michael Hastings Port Mor Wheelers

6 Lewis Stewart Glasgow Riderz

7 Danny Mulholland Johnstone Jets

8 Robbie Smith

9 Matt Appelquist

10 Morgan Brown Wallace Warriors

11 Alex Hay

12 Jamie Stewart Glasgow Riderz

13 Andrew MacLeod Johnstone Jets

14 Cameron MacLeod

15 Iain Hall

U10 girls

Position Name Club

1 Rhona Samphier Wallace Warriors

2 Abby Stewart Glasgow Riderz

3 Anna Shackley Glasgow Riderz

4 Catherine Mitchell Wallace Warriors

5 Ariana Willoughby Drumlanrig

U10 Boys

Position Name Club

1 Hamish MacLaren Johnstone Jets Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

2 Keir Robb Peebles CC

3 Rory Duncan Wallace Warriors

4 Andrew Robinson

5 Sandy Holl Wallace Warriors

6 Ewan Purves

7 Aiden Carlin

8 Alex Ball West Lothian Clarion

U8 Girls

Position Name Club

1 Alison Mitchell Wallace Warriors

2 Isla Fotheringham

U8 Boys

Position Name Club

1 Murray Fotheringham

2 Lewis Steele Johnstone Jets

3 Louis Savage Glasgow Riderz

4 Andrew Leinster

5 Thomas Aggleton Glasgow Riderz

6 Jamie MaGowan Peebles CC

7 Gregor Robb Glasgow Riderz

8 Robin Purves

9 Fergus MacLeod

10 Daniel Cutler Bronte Wheelers

Girls U12 have since been added. Not so sure on these but it was a difficult task

U12 girls

Position Name Club

1 Katie Allen Wallace Warriors

2 Rhona Callander Wallace Warriors

3 Helen Mitchell Wallace Warriors

4 Lusia Steele Johnstone Jets

5 Ellie Park Western Titans

6 Jenny Holl Wallace Warriors

7 Holly Linstead