Rothesay Week,end, 18th 19th Sept

Guest Jim Daly

Guest Jim Daly

From Murray Doyle:

There appears to be some interest in a `new rider/beginner' element to the APR on 19th - so we're also running a 1-lap race for this group (mixed, all ages etc.) - should be good for all concerned. So if u fancy indulging yourself in the excitement of this race environment, feel this is the group for u COME ON DOWN start time 2pm approx. registration from 1pm approx.

the usual 2-lap event will run as APR with groups based on age and to some extent ability.

SATURDAY 18th:

• 11:00am Serpentine Hill-Climb (1/3 mile of splendid views!)

£100 1st Prize donated by The Bike Shed Bute (http://www.thebikeshed.org.uk)

• 13.45pm Circuit of Bute 2-Up TT (World famous 21 mile circuit

Race sponsored by Bute Wheelers of Bute)

SUNDAY 19th:

• 11:15am Port Bannatyne 10mile TT (We’ll wait for 10:15 ferry!)

Race sponsored by Bute BackPackers Hostel ([email protected])

• 14:00pm Isle of Bute APR Road Race (2 laps of world famous

(Ladies & Gents Age-Based Categories) circuit of Bute)

Race sponsored by Velo29 Performance Bikes ( http://www.velo29.com )

Prizes for Juniors thru-out!!!

Enquiries: Murray Doyle (01700) 503011 / http://www.theleagueinternational.com/scotland

Guest Jim Daly

Jan

The 10 TT course is flat along the coast, except for one small hill to be done twice.

Dead turn in a passing place a few hundred metres short of the wee ferry.

Probably no more than 2/3 cars will pass you.

Only a couple of minutes slower than Westferry and about 3 miles North of Rothesay HQ, below the Pavillion.

Jim

• Members

I'm not going to make Sunday - my colleagues have forsaken me; I've got to work. So I was also thinking about catching the 0845 ferry on Saturday, just for a look-see. Is anyone else doing the same? There's always the potential for a bit of ferry-hopping on the way home - Colintraive, Dunoon, Gourock... Let me know if you fancy it, please. I'm likely to stay in bed otherwise. :-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

A few Jets will be in the hill climb, and one Jets team now confirmed for the two up. Cheer them on if you pass them! ;-)

Our riders have done the Serpentine before :smash so we'll foresake the early ferry recce and have a long lie. 9:25 boat for us.

A few showers forecast for tomorrow, btw, but it wouldn't be Rossay any other way.

See you there,

Mul

• 2023 Subscriptions

Decent day for the Jets on Saturday. Trad Rothesay weather - rain - cleared at the start of the hill climb, but left a very greasy surface causing a few prangs.

Rhys Donnelly of the Glasgow Riderrz continued his fine late season form to take the Junior prize in 1.13 and a bit.

Lewis M 2nd 7 seconds later, and Danny M completed the podium just 3 seconds slower. Josh unfortuately came down on the last corner, so his time was nothing to shout about. (Sure he'll change that in the club champs though!)

The brisk wind and bright sun dried the roads out nicely for the afternoon 2up.

Rhys played a blinder even before the off, and teamed up with Grant Ferguson (Dooleys RT). The pairing stormed to the Junior prize in 1:04 and a bit.

The Jets youth A/B pair of Josh and Lewis finished in 1:12, while fierce youth C rivals Danny and Calum Shackley (Glasgow Riderz) teamed up, rding together superbly for a very credible 1:16.

Great experiemce for all the youngsters - riding their 1st open 2up on a blustery day.

Hope they didn't get in the way of too mnay of the senior teams following on.

Thanks to Murray and all at Bute Wheelers for making the youngsters welcome.

I'll let the Wheelers tell their own stories.

Mul

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm sure Jim will give a full report on all of the weekend's races, David T on the hill climb & 2-up and Jann on the 10TT, but here is a wee summary of the Hill Climb and APR from my perspective.

Hill Climb - The ground was very wet and of the 29 starters at least 5 fell off due to the slippy/tight corners. I personally could not get going and a few more practice runs would really have helped on such a technical climb, especially as it was so slippy. I got to halfway and was not even out of breath, so subsequently then pushed so hard on the second half that my legs turned to blocks of lead (I also had a big rear wheel slide, which got the addrenaline going and the crowd gasping!)! I think I was tenth. Jim and David T also took part and were a handful of seconds behind. Overall, not the best race for the JWCC.

APR - Greg B and Ian C went off in the first of three groups, with Jim, Paul McD and myself were off in the second group (about 50 riders in total). The second group worked remarkably well together and caught the first group just after half way. We then all worked as a big group for a while before the scratch group caught us with about 8miles to go. I think Ian unfortunately got dropped as the scratch caught us (and the pace really lifted), but the other four managed to hang on.

On the last climb (Mount Stewart?) Rob Wilkins of Stirling (who had a 1st and two 2nds in the first three races of the weekend!!) made a decisive break and I was the only one to fully react to his break. After a massive effort, I managed to get on to his wheel (just!) only for him to jump again! I couldn't go again, so this left me in no man's land, about 300-400 yards infront of the chase group and behind a steadily increasing gap to Rob. I knew there was only about 3miles or so to go, so I decided to try and timetrial to home. After coming down the hill and on to the flat (following a near hedge incident on one of the corners!) I realised that even at full TT pace, I couldn't catch Rob or stay away from the bunch, so I sat up and re-joined the bunch. A few attempted mini breaks went on the lead up to the finish, but it was still all together (well about 9 of us) with a few hundred to go. Greg Brown and one other put in a good sprint to jump clear and get 2nd and 3rd, leaving myself, Paul and a Dales rider to battle for fourth. The Dales guy got it on the line, with me only just holding off Paul for 5th. Jim and Greg came in with the second group only a handful of seconds back to claim 16th and 17th (??).

So all in all, a good result for the club in the APR, with Paul getting 1st Vet (6th overall), me getting 5th (although prizes stopped at 4th!), Jim & Greg well inside the top 20 and Ian finishing far from last.

Great weekend. I'll be back next year.

Thanks to Sunday's support team (Jann & Mary), who held all the spare tops and cheered us all on.

Well done to all the Jets on some fine performances.

Cheers,

Ramsay :grin:

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yes, an excellent performance by Jan on her world record attempt at how many jackets, gilets, winter woolies etc one person can wear and ride a bike at the same time with her super domestique Mary...

And Jim for being first on the island on Friday and taking part in every social event (and 4 cycling events too)

And Greg for finishing in the 2nd group on the road after his group caught at half way...

And Iain in only his 3rd ever RR....

And Ramsay for being the only guy to get near to Rob W when the race winning move went 5 miles out...and still getting 5th

And I enjoyed being the first old chap a half wheel behind....

Things looking up for a good RR bunch next year

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

• Administrators

Few photos and video clips from the road race from Mary and I.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jannza/sets/72157624999238084/

My first complete 10TT as Millport is 9.7 or something.

Weather conditions were far from ideal and did consider staying in bed, but the night before I had checked by bike, put on my new wheels, pumped up my tyres and left out my kit so off I headed for the 10:15 ferry in the pouring rain it could only get better!

It was dry when I headed up to the start but decided to keep on my ultra packable and waterproof shorts :lol: . Bit of a lung buster getting up the hill which was just around the first corner, was then shouted at from the side of the road to get into a bigger gear (I had two left) to take advantage of the downhill which I then did, felt like I was flying through the puddles all the way out to the turn and was looking at a reasonable time! Soon as I turned there was a headwind and driving rain! Struggled all the way back along the bumpy tarmac and missed the delight of the downhill on the last corner as there was so much water on the road it was like a river, knew the finish line was close but visibility was so bad I couldnt see the finish! Did eventually manage to cross the line.

Got back to the pavillion and was given a spot prize of bottle of wine and chocolate Oh ya dancer !

Will be back next year to improve on my time :oops:

Really enjoyed the riding about and watching the road race in the afternoon.