Girona 21oct- 24th oct 2010

charlie p

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Guys

Hope training going well for tour. Need now to pay so if you are a bike and accomodation I need £150. Accomodation only £75. With fluctuating exchange rates I may be a couple of quid out but I will let you know if i am short ( no jokes please ). Phone me as to how you want to pay. My preference would be a bank transfer ( tel no 07967185362 )

Charlie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Richard,

It is probably immaterial me offering you a lift as getting yourself down to deepest, darkest Ayrshire will prove a challenge.

However if push does come to shove you can crash at mine on the Wednesday night - let me know if you are in a jam.

As for meeting up at the airport what is the plans - post or pre check in and when are others planning on arriving, I have been told it is 2hrs for int'l departures but this seems excessive for Pwk at that time of the morning.

Now just hoping I feel decent enough to give it a proper go on the bike!

Davie

• Members

Cheers, Davie. I don't have a Plan B at present. I thought that I could get an early-morning taxi over to anyone who offered a lift. A private cab to yours would be pricey, but still cheaper than paying the fare to Prestwick. While it's good of you to say that I could stay over, that's an imposition too far. I'm a shoe-in for the title of Most Chauffeured Wheeler as it is. I don't want to add sleepovers to my repertoire. :-?

• 2023 Subscriptions

davie/ Richard

i am sure we can sort something out. crazy for Richard to get a taxi to deepest ayrshire. I know Campbell is taking Chung. It would be easier for Richard to get to Campbell's. I will phone Campbell & Al tomorrow & get back to you both.

remember to print off your tickets for both outward and inward journey. Check in time up to 30 mins before departure

i planning to be at Prestwick for 5.30am. if i can fix Richard up with a lift should be able to pick up Davie

cheers

Charlie

• Life Members

Hi Richard,

I am still trying to work out how I would get to Prestwick as well. So, you're not alone!

Charlie mentioned that Campbell was giving me a lift, well, it's not confirmed yet.

But I'm going to speak to Campbell tomorrow to work something out, and I'll factor you into the equation. Don't worry pal, we'll get something sorted.

Does anyone have Big Al's contact number?

Cheers

Chung

• Members

Right - looks like I'm going to Prestwick with Big Al. Campbell H kindly offered me a lift, too, and I accepted, but this arrangement is probably easier all round. I've sent Campbell a text so he knows what's happening. Thanks to Al, Campbell, Charlie and Chung for sorting things out.

Have you all had a look at Ryanair's luggage restrictions? The limit for a carry-on bag is 10kg. Its dimensions must not exceed 55 x 40 x 20cm, and you are allowed one carry-on item only. How strictly this policy is enforced seems to depend on the airport of departure and individual staff. Best to err on the side of caution, though. You'll get hammered with £35 charge if you go over the limit.

Also, remember to print off your boarding passes in advance. Ryanair will take 40 quid from you to do this at the airport. :-?

Guest Jim Daly

It all went very well.

Thanks to Charlie's organisational efforts, which included providing a fluent Spanish translator and great weather, we got to stay in some very luxurious surroundings.

Even the things that seemed like a problem at the time helped make the holiday better, eg,

Navigating using an out-of-date map,

finding out why the chicken didn't want to cross the road,

cycling in shorts that are full of sea salt, after a quick dip in the Med,

Chung getting to do about 10k of single pedal drills,

never leaving enough time to get home at a leisurely pace in daylight

and I got to try out a 2010 $#[m£%o 105 Groupset on the last day.

I'm busy next weekend but otherwise will definitely make myself available for more of the same.

Jim 8-)

As Jim has indicated , a great time was had by all. Other notable moments included an unscheduled one lap criterium through one of Girona's light industrial areas, Andy and Matt dissing one of the locals at the top of Hincapie Hill ( no respect these youngsters ), St Grau (x2 for an elite group) and getting 4 Wheelers to the top of St Hilaire before a Commonwealth games Gold medallist ( OK, so he's a swimmer !)

The accommodation was fabulous, in the centre of the old town and almost directly beneath the Cathedral bell tower which handily chimed the hours ( twice ) all through the night. Those sharing a room with Charlie barely noticed as there were other disturbances to contend with.

A great trip. Thanks to Charlie for all the organisation and to Matt for the communication without which we might not have eaten.

When's the next one ?

• Life Members

Fantastic trip!

Many thanks to Charlie for planning and organising the trip, along with Mathew for his translation service.

Great place for cycling and a short holiday, definetly will go back again!

Al, any chance of posting some of your "point and shoot" photies?

I'll try and post some of mine if I can figure out how.

Cheers

Chung

Aye cracking trip....much thanks to Charlie for organising.

Fantastic weather, food and cycling country even the ineviatable JWCC mishaps were a source of much hilarity.

I found my Spanish coming on in great leaps and bounds which was handy when ordering the odd bottle of vino red but mucho cheers to Matthew for keeping us right.

Look forward to more trips in the future.

Davie

• 2023 Subscriptions

ramsay

It was great. 4 marvellous days of cycling. 3 wonderful nights of imbibing copious amounts of alchohol by way of rehydration. As a group we got on swimmingly well ( pardon the pun ). The wheelers worked well together to keep the swimmers off the winners podium. Well except Davy B who made a point of helping Matthew on one of the climbs or so i am told as I was a lot further down the hill at the time.Only one crash moi going up hill as well ( don't ask ) Accomodation was perfect for cyclists and being in the middle of the historic town centre was just a bonus. Where we stayed was either featured in the film " Perfume " or Dustin Hoffman stayed there when filming. Having looked at the pics taken by Richard & Al I am missing the place already. Roll on next year for hopefully another tour

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...