Hi

just some adavance warning of a Sportive weekend on Isle of Skye

Saturday 14th. August

Backing Budhmor Sportive starts Portree

75 Miles and 42 Mile options

Includes climbing the Quiraing for both options + Struan climb on 75 route

£12 Entry fee

Sunday 15th. South Skye loop starts Broadford

Over Skye bridge , Plockton, Shielbridge , Mam Ratagan climb , Glenelg ferry .

60 Mile no short route

£12 entry fee

Run by local club Cuillin Wheels with all profits going to local nursing home Budhmor.

Further details to follow

Hope to see a few riders joining us in Skye for the weekend

• 2023 Subscriptions

I dont know the saturday ride but the sunday ride is fabulous.

a group of us did it last year after the may bealach beag in glorious sunshine unlike the snow the previous day.

The mam ratagan was mostly covered with compact chainsets, 34x 25 or 27. It is a great climb, good views and plenty hairpins.

The glenelg ferry crossing is entertaining, short and lo tech.

Watch out though for part of the climb on the other side of the ferry crossing, a very short but very steep section takes you out of the corrie.

might do it again this year after next weekends bealach

duncan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi

the Struan climb is an easy one , its the one we took a picture of full squad at top Greg , its goes across moor and drops back into Portree past Shinty club.

Maybe Ian McG can publish foto for you Mark.

Its a pity you werent up yesterday as I did the Sunday run its shorter but has more climbing 4800 feet of climbing in total if my new toy is calibrated right.

It has Carr Brae which is tough , then Mam Ratagan very tough followed by climb from ferry on Skye very tough with a few wee hills thrown in for good measure. Unfortunately I am extremely busy this week with something on every night of the bar Friday ( heading down road). If you do come up let me know and I will see if any of the guys are able to join you for a run.

I have posted both routes on map my ride , so you should be able to see the profile there.

Kenny macD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Guys

I have secured a cheapo accomodation option if required.

We can have use of Braes hall for cyclists on Friday/Saturday nights.

Its has a kitchen ,toilets and large hall with wooden floor similar to clubrooms . No showers but we have use of showers at Portree high on the Saturday after run. Its a bring a sleeping bag and campbed option .

Let me know if anyone wants to take up this offer as I am a key holder and will arrange to open up etc

Kenny MacD

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Has anyone made definite plans for Skye? I haven't signed up for any of the rides yet, but the time off work is a done deal. As always - car-less wretch that I am - I'm angling for a lift. But even if you can't help out on that score, I'd like to know who's going and what route or routes you've plumped for. Ta much. :-)

Mary and I are definites for this. Have Pm'd Kenny Mac re cabin offer.

Just remains to confirm which events. At present looks like I'll go for the longer run on the Saturday and Mary the shorter. Both planning to do the Sunday run at as relaxed a pace as possible!

Iain

Kenny MacD said;

"The school is holding a roller Lands end to John O groats cycle event in the square on the Saturday. The guy running it has asked if any of the JWCC would do a half hour stint to boost the mileage , any takers ?"

What kind of rollers are they Kenny? If they are of the fixed fork variety I'll have a go. If they are proper rollers I'll decline on the grounds of technical incompetence - I' d probably end up in the harbour!

Iain