2010 Audax events in Scotland

Thinking of doing a couple of audaxes next year, anyone else interested? I've listed all the Scottish ones below.

120 04 Jan Kirkburn, nr Peebles Wapinschaw (Tracing the Kirkburn Camel)

100 14 Feb Old Town Hall, Musselburgh Musselburgh RCC 21st. Tour of East Lothian

200 07 Mar Rosewell, S of Edinburgh Dave Harris Memorial

100 09 Mar Lochside Leisure Centre, Forfar Scone the Flat Way

100 21 Mar Hawick Allan Ainslie Memorial - Tibetan Tour

200 28 Mar Dalmeny, nr South Queensferry The Canny Man's

100 30 Mar Lochside Leisure Centre, Forfar Glen Isla

200 18 Apr Galashiels Moffat Toffee 200

150 24 Apr Forfar Pitlochry 150

100 24 Apr Lochside Leisure Centre, Forfar Scone the Flat Way

100 25 Apr Lochside Leisure Centre, Forfar Glen Isla

400 08 May Dalmeny, nr South Queensferry Berwick & Beattock

200 23 May Forfar Deeside Loop

110 23 May Forfar Howe of the Mearns

300 29 May Portmahomack, nr Tain Durness Duress

100 29 May Portmahomack, nr Tain Pictish Trail

200 30 May Portmahomack, nr Tain Cromarty Cruise

50 30 May Portmahomack, nr Tain Nigg Hill

300 05 Jun Kirriemuir The Snow Roads

600 12 Jun Corstorphine, Edinburgh Only For Softies

200 26 Jun Bishopton, Renfrewshire A Fyne Cowal

300 10 Jul Galashiels Reiver Fever

400 07 Aug Galashiels Nae Bother to Us 400

200 15 Aug Forfar Pitlochry 200

100 15 Aug Forfar Lethnot and Lunan

200 28 Aug Newtonmore Forres Foray

100 28 Aug Newtonmore Grantown Gallop

82 29 Aug Newtonmore Garten Treasure Hunt

80 29 Aug Newtonmore The Gaick (off-road)

200 09 Sep Galashiels Aaron Aardvark's Thursday Skive

160 19 Sep Dalmeny, nr Edinburgh Three Glens Explorer

200 17 Oct Galashiels Etal-u-Can

I may also do the Tearfund sportive again - since the food is so good and all the money goes to charity. The Tearfund is on 1st May this year:

http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.btik.com/

Iam planing to do the one's listed Oh ya dancer !

some of them clash with climbing dates so if the weather is cold and good will be climbing.

200 07 Mar Rosewell, S of Edinburgh Dave Harris Memorial

200 18 Apr Galashiels Moffat Toffee 200

400 08 May Dalmeny, nr South Queensferry Berwick & Beattock

300 29 May Portmahomack, nr Tain Durness Duress

200 30 May Portmahomack, nr Tain Cromarty Cruise

600 12 Jun Corstorphine, Edinburgh Only For Softies

200 26 Jun Bishopton, Renfrewshire A Fyne Cowal

400 07 Aug Galashiels Nae Bother to Us 400

Ps i have hear a rumour that if you are planing to do the PBP in 2011 it would be to your benifit to do asmany BRM events this year espeshaly if you are a first timer.

Campbell

Have noticed that a few wheelers have posted elsewhere querying the sense of paying £30 odd for the privelage of riding a Sportive when you cold quite realistically just turn up and ride at any other time.

My own experience (Radar Ride 2009) was pleasant enough however short of marshalling what is the real benefit of paying your money? Feed stations maybe but whilst well stocked in the first visit the feed station second time around was empty....... As for the marshalling with todays sat nav technology the chances of getting lost are pretty minimal.

Obviously the charitable ones deserve consideration (I' am thinking Drumlanrig and the Braveheart) as the monies can be accounted for with good reason.

Based on these comments I was wondering wether a monthly club away day was something that might be of interest?????? Routes could be based on club members recomendations or even follow existing Sportive Routes (most Sportive Roads tend to be traffic free after all). I' am sure that there are enough of us that have vehicles and carriers good enough for at least 2 -3 bikes and with a small donation for fuel from each passenger the travel could be kept relatively cost neutral.

Just a thought......

Colin

Wot have I got myself involved in now!!!!!!!!

That's what I get for opening my big gob I suppose :roll:

With the reliabilities on during February and the Don Smith the first weekend of March, I was thinking of the first weekend in April for our initial outing.

I had a few routes in mind (including Arran but also the Cairngorms, Borders- Dennis usually supplies the details for a ride in this area, visiting our club president on Skye, Tony's proposed route from last year down Ayrshire way etc) but am open to suggestions. As mentioned before we could also ride the routes of the organised Sportives on different days. The route of the Etap Caledonia would be one I would be personally interested in.

Could also be an idea to look at running them in a similar format to the reliabilities with 2 or 3 groups depending on interest departing at different times to allow for abilities/ interests or following varied distances (this is all getting a bit complicated now :-? ).

Colin

It would be great to do some of the sportive routes and some of the longer rides that seem to be in the planning. An excellent idea. I have a spare seat/ bike rack Im very much looking forward to them.

I have entered the Tour of East Lothian in the meantime and have managed to grow a pretty impressive beard in the interim period. I want to look the part you see :grin:

One thing I would like to point out - remember you can take advantage of the audax calendar for these "awaydays". Benefits of doing an audax: you get a tried and tested route (normally very scenic) with a detailed "route card" with suitable cyclist-friendly cafe stops already arranged (and parking at the start/finish). All of this would save quite a lot of organisational effort - and the entry fee is typically only a fiver or so. Plus you get to meet people from outside the club - in a sociable context.

I think a curry or pub night might be in order - for planning purposes Hello, beer !!

• 4 weeks later...