Plean cyclocross race 4/10/09

Alan McLean

• Committee

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... =1&evt_id={D08DC3AB-4084-47B6-9976-919088599AEB}&evt_seriesid=&evt_myevents=No&RefID=&RefType=&evt_month=All&evt_kw=&evt_regions=Scotland&evt_disc=Cyclo-Cross&evt_class=&evt_cat=&evt_series=&evt_resultspp=20

I'm going to Plean for a bit of mud. First three races of the autumn are within 60 mins drive of here. I'd welcome company. MTBs are fine.

Alan

• Committee

Lance

You can enter on the day and do not need to be a club member. SC membership may give you a quid off the entry http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/ but the website suggests maybe not.

Expect 50-60 minutes of working as hard as you like on greasy grass, leaves and mud. Expect to get lapped (I am) and suck it up.

An unscientific survey of club members suggest that about ten folk are "thinking of having a go" . It would be good to see all of you there.

Regards

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Never rode plean last year as it was max 4 degrees below zero that day and I had a stinker of a cold.

Coughing and spluttering just now too (excuse no.1) but I'll be there as long as I can get a new chain for my bike (excuse no. 2) and get some training in before Sunday (excuse no. 3) but that might be difficult given excuse no.1

:lol:

Will be happy to ride around at the back of the field and shout gentle belgian terms of encouragement to the other Joansin as they lap me! :grin:

Oh yes, it's a mulhooligan clan outing. Dan will be riding the u12 and Lewis (now that he's >12) will be in with the big youths :shock: .

cheers

A few months ago while on an easy off-road cycle with Martin and Chung....sorry Chung...... :grin: Martin convinced me that cyclocross is both fun/good for the fitness and an great way to keep fit over the winter. So i'm a defo for giving it a go this year.

unfortunately i cant make Plean, but a defo for Auchentoshan.

good luck to those who do Plean, i'm looking forward to the post race report already.

al.

• 2023 Subscriptions
Hi Martin

Yes my DIY cross kit is ready.

Pressure washer......check.

Cowbells...three.......check

Flanders lion flag.....check

Huge poster of Sven Nys...check

New cross bike ....check

See you. Speak later re. sharing cars but I will have at least one child as well.

A

You can be over prepared, you know.

I myself have blown my runny nose, bought a new chain (although not yet fitted it) and done an hour of cross country running. Think that's me set for the season! :lol:

Ref cars, let's try, but there will probably be three of us for each race. it's do-able, talk Sat?

M

• Committee

The Joansin massive took over Plean today in glorious Indian summer. I raced in a short sleeve top for the first time this year. The course was mainly hard pack with some mud/roots and a lovely 20m killer hill. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Lewis Mulholland and Jonathon Mitchell were up against monster opposition in the youth race. Jonathon got a 9th out of 16 riders which was excellent. Some of the other guys are in the GB Talent Team. Lewis did brilliantly well against guys who are five years older but a knee injury held him back. Get well soon

In the main race we had at least four riders. I just kept away from Kenny C who was on an MTB but now is looking at cross frames. Mike powered through mud like a diesel. Kenny S appeared very dapper and clean after the finish having faked a puncture/mechanical or somesuch to get out of the race :uzi ( and him with a Chris King headset too)

No idea of my final position.

Finally there were paparazzi at every technical section. I'm wearing sunnies next time to cope with all the pro flashguns. Watch out for big Flickr postings. Or we might be in Hello.

See you at Auchentoshan.

a

Cheers Alan. Unfortunately fancy headsets don't help with knee problems. Nor do they help you power around a fantastic course.

My first cross event and certainly won't be my last. As Alan said the weather was great and there were over 100 riders on the narrow start line :!::!: I opted for a start nearer the back so that I wouldn't get in the way of the more serious folk.

Not sure what the other riders were doing but I completed the first lap in 10mins (I thought this was not too bad as in true mass start events it was about 5mins after the real start when those backstarters crossed the start line ;-) )

Anyway, on my second lap on the climb up to the gap in the wall I felt a familiar twinge across my right knee and by the time I had been round, dismounted, scrambled up the wall and then round the back side of the course I decided not to push my luck.

Another 10 minute second lap but I got an idea of how fast the front guys were going. As I remounted at the top of the scramble for the second time and got going again the flying machine known as Kenta Gallagher flew passed me followed a good few seconds by a few chasers. By the time I had handed by number in Gallagher was round again. Only this time unfortunately witha puncture and no spare waiting at the pits

Summary? Get there a bit earlier (10:45 was cutting it a bit fine in the end due to the numbers), get a decent warm up, Try and start nearer the front and get fitter.

I have been playing around for the last month or so and was okay with the handling stuff but the intensity of the event really took me by surprise but certainly left me looking for more

• 2023 Subscriptions

DNS for Mulhooligan senior and young Danny Mulhooligan, sadly. :-(

Lewis had crashed on lap 1 of his race, but not realising he was injured, got back on for another 2 and half laps of that hefty course.

A quick look at his knee at the finish was enough to change our plans for the rest of the day however, so we handed in our race numbers undirtied and headed to A&E to get him 4 or 5 stitches.

No race next week, so he (and we) will be back for the next round at Auchentoshan.

Great event by the Stirling BC. 56 riders in the u12 event!!!

Thanks to Barry and others for the first aid and looking after Lewis!

Mul

• Committee

Absolutely superb job by Stirling Bike Club; posting results for ONE HUNDRED AND TWO finishers :shock:

The lap counters must be in shock, this is the biggest race field I have seen outside of a sportive. I reckon people did 12 to 15 laps so someone had to count about 1500 lap numbers.

Anyway Joansin results:

Alan McLean 34th

Kenny (I'm wearing black to avoid messing up my yellow jersey)Christie 77th (MTB, big fat tyres)

Mike Ferguson 87th

Kenny Steele DNF

Martin Mulholland DNS (but had a Flanders lion flag so he counts)

+ Jonathon Mitchell's 9th in the Youth race

The future's bright, the future is blue and yellow, with some brown mud and chainring marks.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions
Absolutely superb job by Stirling Bike Club; posting results for ONE HUNDRED AND TWO finishers :shock:

Anyway Joansin results:

Martin Mulholland DNS (but had a Flanders lion flag so he counts)

Alan

Don't forget the flanders socks and florence nightingale outfit! :-P