Old Military Roads 400 audax

Myself, Simon Simpson and a guest from GMBC were up in Stonehaven this weekend for this event. Sunny on the drive up on Friday but drove into sea fog about 4 miles from Stonehaven. Visibility down to 100 m and the last we were to see of the sun till we were off the bikes. Camping overnight and ,on cue , the rain started 10 mins before our 6 am alarm. A couple of spoonfulls of porridge and off to sign on in the rain. Only 10 starters - should have thought better of it as Ronnie Chard was there but not riding. Getting soft after his Corsican trip !

Slow start but we were sure the guy with the PBP plate knew what he was doing - 400 is a long way. All other riders had packs, saddle bags , mud guards etc , we were on the usual set up. Rain got constantly heavier and by the time we reached the summit of Cairn O Mount everyone was getting cold ( I had 4 layers on). Organiser was waiting with his cold toddlers and welcome Mars bars and Snickers. Fairly subdued descent due to conditions but would still have taken a minute out of you Darryl !

Long stretch rising slowly along the Dee to Ballater where we upped the pace , to get some heat going and in anticipation of the cafe, and dropped the boys with the muddies. Rain at this point torrential. Into the first cafe where we proceeded to flood the place as water sluiced off of us. Simon pretty cold ( only 2 layers ! ) and talking about heading back. We agreed to ride on towards the Lecht and see if we were feeling any more optimistic. As we rode off Simons Garmin packed in. He was riding with a dyno hub and was attempting to use some adapter to charge it as we rode - probably not wise given the conditions. He told me later that the instructions said not to use it in the wet. Those of you who have been around enough to remember Simon will not be surprised by any of this.

With not even the thought of the kudos of posting a 400 on Strava to spur him on he was a broken man. We plodded on another 7/8 miles to the foot of the next climb and then made the call to head back. We were only about 90 km in and still about 110 to the turn in Inverness with no sign of any change in the weather.

Once the decision was made we made faster progress heading back into the headwind than we had on the way out. Another cafe stop was needed at the foot of Cairn O Mount before the last brisk run into a still fog bound Stonehaven. Oh, did I mention that the ford at the cafe had become unpassable since we rode through on the way out.

About 180 km all up, all except 5 mins in rain of varying degrees and in very poor visibility. I have been colder but not wetter. We will be back at some point though as the route looks like a good one. You are all welcome next time.

• Life Members

Al, it seems like every ride you do since you've been back are either wet, really wet or extremely wet :-)

I suspect your decision to stay Southern hemisphere all year round will be more obvious now, if this trend continuous .............

Well done though, big man!

Cheers

Chung