BB86 Press fit compatability

DavieB

Anybody running with BB86 PF who can confirm if there is conversion to allow running standard Shimano crank-set in them?

Checked Praxis web-site and it refers to M30 cranks (?) and there does not appear to be a conversion kit available via them. (M30 cranks anyone?)

Any other views on the effectiveness / potential compatibility issues of this system.

P.S. the potential frame purchase is not carbon so no idea why threaded BB is not incorporated.

No fix needed Billy considering purchase of frame with BB86 PF incorporated, will do proper Goggle search but thought I would ask if anybody has any experience with or knows for sure I can run (with proprietary convertor) my bog standard Ultegra cranks on it.  

Cheers Jan,

It's clearer now what these are and they will accept 24mm crank axles like Ultegra.

Does not appear to be any converter available but certainly look straightforward in terms of DIY press fit. It's the press fit aspect I would rather avoid tbh. Frame not yet discounted.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Davie, the BB86 refers to the O/D of the bearings and the frame fit. So you can get BB86 for Shimano or BB86 for SRAM for example, the difference is the I/D of the bearings ( this is one of the few areas that SRAM is not totally compatible with Shimano, one of the bearings has a differnent I/D for SRAM GXP and one has the 24mm Shimano standard )

Sorry lots of Techy stuff there but I hope it helps !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Pressing them in is easy , you can make one with wood and a length of screwed rod , and or nock them in with a mallet and a piece of wood, or ask a bike shop to press them in not even two minutes , my p3 is press fit not sure of the size

• Life Members

Davie,

Take a week off work & read the mountains of stuff on bottom brackets .......... & you'll still be confused ....... well I did  :grin:

Here's a few to start you off:

http://paragonmachineworks.com/files/public-docs/BBStandards.pdf

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

As far as your BB86 press fit frame goes, your existing Shimano cranks should fit. As Paul said earlier, your Shimano crank axle diameter is 24mm, therefore shouldn't be an issue with fit.

Some crank brands have 30mm dia axle like Rotor's 3DF & 3D+, & some Sram ones, as far as I know - most Shimano (if not all) are 24mm.

Personally, I just group BB them into 2 camps:

Threaded = confident it'll be pretty much trouble free

PressFit = Fit it (properly) & fingers crossed that it doesn't creak  :shock:

If I can help it, I would choose a frame that is old-fashion threaded bottom bracket, but these are now few & far between unless you go custom frame manufacture!

If PressFit BB was my only choice, then I would make sure that the frame material is aluminium, steel or titanium to make sure the "roundness" tolerance of the BB shell is a perfectly match for the bearings - poor tolerance on carbon frames is the major reason why PF bb have creak issues!

Anyway, what frame are you getting this time? CX, road or Gravel bike project?

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Chung

Hi Chung,

Aye I have been on a few of those web-sites you linked to and it makes grim reading of all the efforts to solve an engineering problem which didn't really exist, the cynic in me suspects commercial aspects are driving this along.

As a fellow luddite I have long held the belief that if threaded BB is available this should be one of the qualifying factors on shelling out for a new frame. This belief no longer holds for carbon frames however as there appears to be a rampant issue with galvanic corrosion which has rendered a 4 year old Canyon unusable. Canyon's legendary customer service is as reliable as the bonded threaded BB shell and I am losing the fight regards whether they will uphold a warranty claim.

For PF30 like my cross bike all I did was knock out the PF and fit a Praxis convertor however the BB86 appears to be resistant to this work around and so needs to be used as fitted.

As for possible purchase road frame of neither carbon, aluminium or titanium construction. It is a steel but of the stainless variety. Very tentative at present.