Clip on Tri-bars

Mark O

I'm looking to possibly borrow a set of clip on tri bars on the weekend of the 1st/2nd July. I did buy a pair recently but they don't fit the profile of the bars on my Sunday bike and are too big for the winter bike even with rubber shims. I probably need 31.5mm rather than the 35mm dia. extensions which I appear to have purchased.........I think!!!

Not looking for anything amazing just something that will offer me a half way house option on a hilly(ish) tt course. Have ruled out using my tt bike because I haven't ridden it sufficiently enough and the position is a tad too uncomfortable for 90km 

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Cheers

• Life Members

Hello Mark O,

Sorry I don't have any trip-bars to offer you, but please make sure you torque them properly (I could lend you a torque wrench) so that you know its on tightly!

Good luck in your search & let me know if you need the torque tool.

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Hello Mark O,

Sorry I don't have any trip-bars to offer you, but please make sure you torque them properly (I could lend you a torque wrench) so that you know its on tightly!

Good luck in your search & let me know if you need the torque tool.

Cheers

Chung

Sorry Mark, I wasn't trying to be funny but I really do think using a torque wrench with all bolts on bikes are very important! Cheers Chung

The considered advice from experienced triathlete and team GB member is not to attempt something significantly different to one's normal practice on race day - that would just be stupid. Hence my comment I haven't ridden my tt bike sufficiently enough, and me seeking a clip on bar option. But thanks for the constructive, thoughtful and wise coaching comment nonetheless. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Poor preparation then , 90 k it's 50 miles two hours and a quarter on a TT bike if you trained

I'm racing Staffs 70.3 on Sunday and have spent many hours training on my TT bike. If I could get round in 2 and a quarter hours I will be delighted!! Somewhere between 2.5 and 2.75 is more likely depending on conditions.

There is also the small matter of a half marathon afterwards and I'd rather run that than shuffle.

Why be expletive deleted at one sport, when I can be expletive deleted at three!

Good luck for the weekend Tom. Let me know how you fare. Weather looks to be settled and warm.

Cheers Paul, the course route is visible on the Edinburgh half ironman website. 

Billy, what do you know of my prep/training for this event? Nothing at all I'd suggest based on your ill informed comments above. Read your own strap line and reflect. Clearly your "wisdom" extends to 70.3 distance triathlons, as well as everything else you bump your gums about.

If you are suggesting I should be able to ride and maintain just under 25mph average speed on 80%-85% effort for 2 and a bit hours on a 'not flat' course and then breeze a half marathon then you're suffering cranial disconnect between brain and mouth. I'd be coasting Paul McD's Double Arran challenge at that rate of knots and changing my name to Brownlee (2:01:39 bike split on a 70.3 tri, for world class, full time athlete and Olympic gold medalist). Seriously, I'd be ecstatic with a 25mph ave on a 25TT on the West Ferry, followed by oxygen and a beer. You truly are a muppet at times. Now go away.

PS 56 mile course, just so you know. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Qualified Bike performance coach passing comment on an open forum , what do I know about 50 miles on a TT bike obviously a lot more than you , stating a fact that if you have an aero bike the benefit in time riding it is substantial.

If I was entering a 50 mile leg of a race I would have trained on what would give me the greater advantage , which would be an aero bike with aero cockpit. The fact that you are weeks away from an event and your looking to borrow equipment would suggest that you haven't prepared adequately , The route for Edinburgh is not particularly hilly so the time benefit from riding in a TT position would be worth the discomfort, however you know best , also you would be able to ride in a more forward position which if you trained on would have made you possibly more efficient on the bike . It's not as if your doing an Iron Man or something hard like

Billy, 

You just don't know when to shut up do you. Ok, you've hooked me and I've bitten.

Competitor responding to the cycling coach's comment in relation to a 70.3 triathlon event. 

Firstly, its 56 miles not 50miles. Basic info as to bike leg distance is wrong - not a good start on your part.
Secondly, my TT bike has not been road worthy therefore not available for me to train on over a sufficiently long period (read initial post) - my bad and I'll report for suitable punishment to whichever authority oversees these things. The real reason the bike has been off the road is financial - I didn't have the cash to sort it out earlier, but that's not important just reality. In an ideal world I'd have the best of equipment at my disposal but reality is I don't, and choices have to be made. If that is a lack of prep on my part then again my bad and apologies for being skint duly tendered. Had I had access to my TT bike for a longer period of time then I would have trained more using it, for all the reasons you correctly state. Unfortunately that option was not available to me and so I am where I am.  
Third, I'm not entering a 50 mile TT. I'm attempting a half ironman race. The bike stage is not ridden in isolation - it comes after an open water/sea swim and before a half marathon. Absolutely I'd approach a 'one off' 50 mile TT differently and might even defer to those, such as yourself, with greater knowledge and experience than me for advice, but that's not the subject matter in this case and context is everything.
Fourth, the running is probably my weakest event (in spite of the undeniable poor preparation for this element that has been going on since December). Therefore I think I'd rather lose 10 minutes on the bike, by keeping something in the tank for the run, rather than 20 minutes+ on the run because my cycling ego got in the way for the sake of a good split. But you knew that already in telling me I've prepared poorly. Experience tells me that if I go too hard on the bike leg or ride in a position which would significantly compromise my running performance then a poorer overall outcome is likely - my rubbish preparation and training tells me that. It's called personal pacing and more than a little important over this distance - paraphrased from an experience elite triathlete advising about what mistakes to avoid over this distance.
Fifth, and on a more general note, a qualified individual, in any field, would know not to publicly opine on something without gathering and considering the facts first. Perhaps as well as being skint, I'm carrying an injury prevents me riding in a full on tt position but a halfway house of tri bars on a road bike is doable - that does not mean a lack of prep on my part as you are oh so quick to conclude. Of course there is no way you could know that but perhaps should have considered it before commenting in a negative fashion.
Finally, as to your comment - "it's not as if you are doing an ironman or something hard like" I think it's time for you to grow up and stop belittling other people's efforts, goals and achievements. Whether your comment is in jest or otherwise they are not smart, constructive, nor appreciated at this time, and not at all becoming of a sports coach. Perhaps on this occasion the qualified bike performance coach should have kept his counsel, as to whether or not sufficient prep has been done, to himself for once; rather than spout half baked and ill-informed views. I'm content with what training I've done over the last 6 months. I believe I could have done more due to a few weeks lost through illness and injury but apparently that is the norm for this sport. We'll see on the day if I have prepared sufficiently or not. What I will know for sure though is that I will have attempt a 70.3 and hopefully be able to say I've completed one.....and you?

I accept that all this will probably fall on deaf ears but your comments p***ed me off, and they were not going unchallenged. You ARE a muppet at times and can't help yourself. I also accept you have the right to say whatever you want - in fact I stood up on your behalf, with the club's committee previously, to allow you to exercise that right. However I do wish you would sometimes engage your filter/brain before engaging your jaw.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mark

You are the one asking to borrow tri bars weeks before your event not me , and as I do this as a business I can comment that your preparation is poor in fact somebody who has never been involved in any sport would accept that trying to borrow equipment this late in the the day is poor preparation , in fact it's worse than that .

However you have critised my ability as a coach I know exactly the length and the route the 2:15 was a joke , which was taken as a joke by the more experienced tri athlete TH .

However as you seem to make it more than a joke feel free, Just for clarity I train a number of Iron Man athletes for there bike legs , in fact even you asked for advice , but don't worry I will utilise my brain and tell you to piss off the next time you ask for it

Enjoy your half iron man , in the mountains of the lothians , maybe you should ask the elite triathlete if he/ she thinks borrowing bars weeks before the event is a sign of good preparation

And your initial post you state you haven't ridden your TT bike fo a why no reason why . Plus I am sure your elite will tell you to train on what your going to race on

Please don't reply because I don't really want to waste any time reading your excuses for bad preparation

Billy you've made a public claim that I have prepared poorly or badly for an event. I take issue with this. You know little or nothing of what I have been doing over the last 6 months. Your claim of poor/bad preparation is unfounded as you have no facts to back it up. Had I wanted your views as to the quality of my preparation for the event I would have asked for it. I didn't. Please remove that claim from this thread and apologise. You have 24 hours to do so, after which I will contact Johnstone Wheelers committee to have it removed.

For the record I did not ask for your opinion in this thread. You took it upon yourself to get involved in something that has nothing to do with you, unless you can offer a pair of clip on tri bars. However you did see fit to denigrate and criticise me without good reason. This I don't appreciate. I apologise for the formal response but not its content. You truly do fail recognise when to stay quiet or the subtle prompts to do so.