disc brakes or not

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

if one was to get a new good summer road bike, any views on disc versus caliper brakes, given that the disc option appears to add the best part of a kilo on to the weight of the bike ?

I see all the main groupset players have added disc options to all their lines, even at the very top end, and all the main bike makers are offering all their top end bikes with disc options, it would appear its the way to go...

please help me :unsure:  :unsure: 

• 2023 Subscriptions

If you plan to use the bike in winter at all than Disc Brakes(Hydraulic) a good option. But for a Summer bike(Road) than I would stick with normal brakes, only real benefit would be your shiney wheels should last longer as no rim wear. 

What you getting?? :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Depends still can't race disks , added weight , service if hydraulic, for less rum wear , consistent stoping power

If buying a classic bike rim breaks

even Super Record comes with dics brakes now ;) 

• 2024 Subscriptions

I think I'd go for discs. The main reason for me Is that I would then consider shelling out for expensive, light, aero, carbon wheels. You can have these on calliper braked bikes but they will wear out, which means costly replacements. Also, with discs the braking is far better in the wet, particularly with carbon rims. Finally, you can get bigger tyres on with discs because there is no need for a brake bridge at the back.

I like the look of the new Tarmac. I also wouldn't say no to a Canyon. Rose bikes look very good value too.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have not tried discs Ian but here is my tuppence worth, with all the innovations and advances in the past 10 years, the best thing I have seen is Di2 which is not relevant to this discussion, closely followed by race frames built for 25c tyres which is relevant. Just love how the bigger tyres roll. Also love the deep section carbon wheels even though they are heavier. You can of course get a non disc frame for 25c tyres and I kind of get the debate that braking is better in winter, however I have never had a problem braking in winter with aluminium rims, I reckon it is better than carbon summer braking. But you could get lovely cheap carbon wheels for winter bike if disc brakes. And so on, and on,

Pays your greenbacks, makes your choice :)

Personally would give it a miss..great for cyclocross but no real advantages for road performance though this may not be true for carbon rims.

The comments regarding eliminating rim wear are valid and are the only real benefit that I can see but compatability issues may still exist i.e. thru axles and axle width I spent an absolute age tracking down a carbon cross frame with normal drop outs to allow me to run existing wheel sets.

Another solution to a problem that does'nt exist in my book.

• 2023 Subscriptions

One other thing currently with the Japonise hydraulic disc brakes you have to pull the lever a long way before you get bite , that may not be an issue if you like that type o set up , but I don't

A way of getting round that would be to buy campagnolo as they have two settings on third levers , but it's just come out and it would mean wheels and chain set, also don't think you would get EPS super record with disc yet , might get the one down from it .

Then again the bikes for a non believer so you will buy the japoniese junk

• Committee

If not going to worry about UCI racing rules then get discs. Rim wear is a real shame on nice wheels which will eventually wear out. With cartridge bearings in disc hubs you have everlasting wheels! I agree with Darryl that you could get a killer carbon wheelset and keep it forever.

Also the thru axles are a fantastic development for stiffening up frames and forks and front thru axle is quicker than 9mm QR!  I accept that long-term axle compatibility might be an issue and it would be difficult to swap wheels between bikes.