PF30 for cyclocross?

DavieB

FSA cranks are off the X-night but swithering whether to switch over for another BB30 crankset - SRAM or Rotor or as I have fears regarding the PF30 bearings life expectancy may use Praxis BB convertor to run existing Shimano cranks.

All the forums panning the PF30 type bearings seem at least 3 years old so don't know if they are that bad plus cranks are easy to remove for clean and regular packing with grease.

Anybody got any experience with PF30 bearings and grim road conditions /cyclocross life expectancy?

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Davie

I've the press-fit on my cross bike and they have been fine. I prefer the standard screw-in though. My impression is that the problem ain't with the bearings, but with the pressfit aspect itself. Basically, it creaks, can cause wear in the frame and is a cheaper and inferior way of securing BB bearings but is hyped and marketed as if it is better.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Davie, whether it's PF30, BB86, BB90 etc they all use the same style of deep groove sealed ball bearings so should be no difference just because it's PF30. The only difference is size and quality of bearings. In fact the external screw in bearings also use the exact same style bearings, they just come pre pressed into a screw in shell which as Darryl noted makes it a lot easier to change at home and generally gives a more secure interface with a lot less chance of slip/squeak/creak. Mechanically the bigger diameter PF30 does give a stiffer structure if fitted properly. I would suggest do not go for adaptors as the more interfaces the more hassle.

Crack on with your PF30 and enjoy riding you bike I would say

Ohyadancer!

Cheers chaps, I have resisted the BB30/PF30 route for a while now as it smacks of being yet another solution to a problem which did not exist, but really no choice if I wanted a carbon frame - it was hard enough getting one without thru' axles.

The Praxis convertors do seem to get rave reviews and do look like a properly engineered solution rather than a sticking plaster. Will probably run with the PF30's for a while but may need to buy decent crankset. The Rotor jobs look cracking and are lightweight but again complexity built in as they have a universal fit i.e. they fit practically any BB with the right spacers and threaded adjustment - it's a bike for goodness sake! If I go for SRAM I commit to long term PF30 use.

More swithering beckons.....

• Life Members

Cheers chaps, I have resisted the BB30/PF30 route for a while now as it smacks of being yet another solution to a problem which did not exist, but really no choice if I wanted a carbon frame - it was hard enough getting one without thru' axles.

The Praxis convertors do seem to get rave reviews and do look like a properly engineered solution rather than a sticking plaster. Will probably run with the PF30's for a while but may need to buy decent crankset. The Rotor jobs look cracking and are lightweight but again complexity built in as they have a universal fit i.e. they fit practically any BB with the right spacers and threaded adjustment - it's a bike for goodness sake! If I go for SRAM I commit to long term PF30 use.

More swithering beckons.....

Davie,

I had a set of Rotor 3D+ cranks (it's now on Charlie's Scott), they are noticeably stiffer than any thing I have/had, the 30mm axle helps I guess in the stiffness.

If you're concern about rust in your PF bearings since you're running it CX, then maybe the ceramic bearings will help, but both cranks & ceramic bearings ain't cheap which I'm sure you know already. I think I paid about 90 quid for the ceramic bearings :-(

If you can find yourself an older model of the Colnago Prestige, then it'll be a carbon CX frame with BSA threaded BB.

Unfortunetly, the newer Prestige have PF also now, but they don't use the Colnago designed "Threadfit" design (like on my C60) which has a thread alloy sleeve to take the PF bearings - the alloy machined bearing interface has a much better tolerance than the carbon ones, hence avoiding the dreaded PF bearing creaks due moving around the carbon BB shell - in extreme/severe cases the moving bearing wears out & damages the carbon shell area rendering the carbon frame a total right off - then you need to buy a new frame (which is what bike manufactory wants ultimately - ain't it)

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/blog/2015/02/02/colnago-c60-in-depth/5A

Scroll down to the middle of the page if you're interested

Happy Shopping Davie, hope that helps!

Cheers

Chung

Chung,

Just when I'd made a decision to go PF30 you have put doubts in my head......as for carbon CX frames with threaded BB I was coveting one of these for a while...

http://alanbike.it/en/cross-gravel/

Not much scope for UK sales and have the dreaded thru' axle factor.

When I bought the X-night the master-plan was to run bog standard Hollowtech cranks on single ring with Praxis convertor. I should have followed my 1st instincts and saved myself some swithering.

Praxis plus Hollowtech it is..... sorted! I'm sure I can upgrade to Rotor cranks somewhere along the line.

Cheers,

Davie

• Committee

Praxis adapter brilliant. Screws in and is solid. Only problem is that I first used a shimano double chain set but when I changed to SRAM I had to replace the praxis adapter with sram model. Gxp are different to hollowtech.

So I have a shimano praxis adapter going spare if you need one.

Screws in ideally using a bb tool on each side but I managed to tighten it up using the tool on one side only.

• Life Members

Chung,

Just when I'd made a decision to go PF30 you have put doubts in my head......as for carbon CX frames with threaded BB I was coveting one of these for a while...

http://alanbike.it/en/cross-gravel/

Not much scope for UK sales and have the dreaded thru' axle factor.

When I bought the X-night the master-plan was to run bog standard Hollowtech cranks on single ring with Praxis convertor. I should have followed my 1st instincts and saved myself some swithering.

Praxis plus Hollowtech it is..... sorted! I'm sure I can upgrade to Rotor cranks somewhere along the line.

Cheers,

Davie

Sorry Davie, it wasn't my intention to do put you off PF :-(

I had a PF bike before & had no issues with it whatsoever, I suppose it's just pot-luck really!

I'm sure whatever you get, it'll be well researched & built-up, that "Alan" CX is swell, a retro take on it's iconic bike from the past:

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/alan-record-carbonio-1988-shimano-dura-a-2283

Please do post up your final bike choice once you get it, I'll be looking forward to it indeed.

Cheers

Chung

Hi Chung, I have actually bought it (see below) it was the result of a mammoth search to find (what seemed like) the last 52 frame in the UK from the 2016 line-up - only way to get non-thru' axle variant. It's basically the same frame as the top models but with budget kit. Got at a good price and hope to sell the wheels and FSA crankset.

Purchase has resulted in a 2 way bike build as I am swapping all components from my Kinesis to this and vise versa. Now sports Planet X carbon tubs, SRAM Rival hydraulic brakes, Ritchey WCS cockpit, Thompson Elite seat post, clutched rear mech (I still use bargain basement Sram mountain bike 10 speed jobs which, when the awful OEM jockeys are swapped out, are bomb proof). Soon to be fitted with Praxis Works BB adaptor for 105 Hollowtech and Rotor narrow/wide CX single chainring.

It won't actually be the lightest but then again neither will the rider. It won't actually be the best but then again.....

ridleyx-night60disc2016.jpg

• Life Members

Davie, that looks awesome!

I'm sure you know that red bikes always goes faster :-)

For some reason, it reminds me of your "Time" bike.

Now I need to have a look at "your" X-Night for sure ................. Xmas definitely came early for you then :-)

Happy CX-ing Davie

Cheers

Chung

• 2024 Subscriptions

When Davie asks a tech question you can be sure that it is never as straight forwards as it first appears!

Sounds like an awesome bike Davie. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the rival hydro brakes - bleeding and general setting up, pads etc - as I have them on my Viner.

Darryl,

Been running the hydros for a year on my Kinesis - on initial set-up it was just plug and play as got the system bled sufficiently 1st time out the box.

When I transferred them over to the Ridley it took a few go's and some swearing to get them bled, there was a stage of the process I went overboard on to achieve this. If you ever need a bleed kit and some fluid you are more than welcome to borrow mine.

Last word on the PF30's any replaceable part which needs to be hammered out of a carbon frame is more than a wee bit daft - had a few trial gos this morning with improvised tool but now waiting for the right tool to try again.

P.S. swap any organic pads out with Swiss Stop sintered, they will have you locking up good style and will last much longer.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I get it Davie, I was going to talk to you about hammering out bearings tonight. I removed the press fit bearings on my propel to replace with SRAM press fit bearings to suit my chainset. It was one of the most nervous moments in my life hammering the drift and thinking 'this carbon frame is going to shatter'. At the other end of the process a large nut & bolt and double washers each end works really well for fitting new bearings Ohyadancer!

One small hint for fitting the new bearings, put them in the freezer for an hour first to shrink them a bit.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Darryl,

Been running the hydros for a year on my Kinesis - on initial set-up it was just plug and play as got the system bled sufficiently 1st time out the box.

When I transferred them over to the Ridley it took a few go's and some swearing to get them bled, there was a stage of the process I went overboard on to achieve this. If you ever need a bleed kit and some fluid you are more than welcome to borrow mine.

Last word on the PF30's any replaceable part which needs to be hammered out of a carbon frame is more than a wee bit daft - had a few trial gos this morning with improvised tool but now waiting for the right tool to try again.

P.S. swap any organic pads out with Swiss Stop sintered, they will have you locking up good style and will last much longer.

cheers Davie