Brakes...again!

Gerard Deeley

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have developed a distinct thump when use my front brake and everything seems to be in order. The pads are lined up, the wheel is true and there are no severed body parts of unobservant pedestrians trapped. Save me a long stint of stripping down and cleaning in the cold and suggest what I should target to get rid of it.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Check your headset is tight. Pull your front brake tight and try move you handlebars backwards and forwards. You shouldnt get any movement... if you do tighten your headset.

I did the Paul Macdonald trick of shoving the bike against a wall when I last cleaned and regreased the headset. I gave it a big shoogle and nothing budged.

• 2023 Subscriptions

You could also check the rim for dents and look for rough spots/shards in the brake track. Make sure there's no debris embedded in the brake pads, too.

I do clean it often, but before Tuesday's clean it had been about a fortnight since I last cleaned it all down. This is the time of year we all start to put lube on a dirty chain.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Gerard

Possibly the weld seam on the rim, this can get uneven if you smack a pothole for example. And it can give quite a thump. Spin the wheel and gently run your finger up against either side of rim if not already tried.

Bit of a head scratcher by the sounds of it

• 2 weeks later...