Thru axles on standard hubs?

DavieB

Anybody know any compatability issues with wheels with standard disc hubs i.e. quick release being fitted onto thru axle frame? Essentially can I with confidence fit present carbon tubs onto a thru' axle frame?

This maybe a daft question but it may prevent an expensive mistake.

Thanks for the replies chaps - on re-reading my question it is very badly worded, the originator of the query linked has a better mastery of the English language and the responses are not what I wanted to see as having 2 sets of Planet X tubs it seriously curbs my options in terms of new frames....

http://www.ukcyclocross.co.uk/forums/topic/thru-axle-conversion/

• Committee

ask planet x but I cannot see how my px wheels could be converted.

Thru axles are lovely and rigid so if you are looking at a new frame then go full thru axle and you will get a few quid selling old qr wheels at next cx venue.

Pleasure of using far exceeds the pain of paying and face it, cx costs about 10quid/kilometre anyway so any economy drive is pointless.

If you are worried about cost of cyclocross then it is much cheaper to ride your turbo outside under a cold hose while friends chuck buckets of mud at you and poke sticks and leaves in your RD. Then every ten minutes fling yourself violently onto grass and shout at the imaginary rider "taking your line". Works for me.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Simple question is can you convert QR to through axle simple answer is yes you can , you just have to find the hub conversion kit , hard bit is PX won't tell you who makes there branded hubs , but I have an axle conversion kit which you could try and see if it fits as I use QR

Ross,

A sensible post!

Cheers for the link they wont actually help as the issue remains without interchangeable end caps my hubs will still only accept standard 9mm QR skewer.

The more I look at this the more I am against it as unless you have a couple of sets of (new) Zipp Firecrests lying around in your garage then Joe Public is going to be riding around on tubeless or clinchers for at least a season or so. Absolute nonsense in my humble opinion.

I am looking at 2016 non thru axle carbon frames at the moment and after ages of searching may actually have found one.

Cheers,