Roon Bute

San Miguel Injury

Myself and a few others are, weather permitting, heading down to Bute for a pedal round the island on the 11th of September. A number of options to encourage as many as possible. So you can do 60-70, 40-50, 35 or the simple 22 Roon Bute.

Option 1- meet at Club Rooms at 0800- head up cycle path to Amarettoes, Bridge of Weir at 0815ish. From here head up cycle path to Port Glasgow and then across to Dougliehill Road to head down into Greenock following the B7054 to then pick up the A78 down to Weymss Bay. This could be the route back, but we may consider Clune Brae instead of the B788 Kilmacolm Road.

Option1 A-  is the route above but either bus/train back up or down ( I understand that the trains are off from Weymss Bay to Paisley that day, but a bus service will be in place instead)

Option 2- park at Weymss Bay £3 per day, or travel both ways by train(remember a bus is on instead) be there sharp to make sure you get parked. if it is a good day it will be busy.

We are heading for the 1015 ferry so you need to be down for 0945. All cyclists must access the ferry with the cars and you can get a ticket at the ticket office at the back of the car lines. tickets cost £6.10. They do claim that they may restrict bikes, but I have never known this to happen on this route.

We will meet at Guilford square at 1100- straight across from the ferry terminal in Rothesay.

Roon Bute- heading round the island clockwise to Kingarth Hotel, cutting off to head towards Scalpsie, onto the south side of Ettrick Bay and then down to the edge of Port Bannatyne.

Roon Bute A- for those happy with this, you will take a right turn and head back into Rothesay- 22miles

Roon Bute B- For those willing then head out to Rhubodach, turn at the end of the road at the ferry terminal and then head back into Rothesay.

"The sting in the tail"- then for all of us- the 'serpentine climb' with three options-

• bottom to top with the decent round by the golf course- the tough one
  • bottom to first old hotel and back down- lovely views
  • bottom to third bend - easy peeesy

1400 ish- take in lunch at Harry Haws, with views over the castle and then head for 1600 boat.

Roon Bute has a couple of lumpy bits, but nothing excessive, Buteiful( do you like what I've done here!!!!) views across to Arran, Kintyre and Kyles of Bute. It's well worth it.

If I have missed any info out please contact me- any questions please message.

Team Cowan have already signed up, as have Ross Roberston, Joe newbie and Morna

So who else is up for this?

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon,

Weather is favourable for Sunday- lets be serious we live in Scotland- so there is a case of lets get on with it.

I estimate 10-12 and have provisionally booked a table at Harry Haws, till looking at the 1600 boat back and should be wind behind all the way back to Renfrewshire.

If there is any change to my first post or forecast all of a sudden gets worse I'll post .

• 2023 Subscriptions

I've been holding off on posting on this pending a favourable weather forecast - but it's now looking good so I plan on being there and have negotiated the appropriate pass-out!

Will be cycling to the ferry from Kilmacolm, so will join the bunch in Option 1 above at around 08:30 at the Pullman.

Looking at the thread it looks like the bunch cycling down so far is just Allan and Morna, any other to help us along?

• 2023 Subscriptions

A great day out, thanks for organising it Allan.

Good company, good food, a few hills and a stiff breeze. Nine of us went round the island and nearly all went up the Serpintine before a feed stop and the ferry back. The ferry diversion to Gourock added a bit of interest, as well as some miles for those with a car at Weymss Bay! I hope everyone got home OK.

• 2023 Subscriptions

A great day out on a great island with some great members of  great cycle club.  A bit of a slog back to the car against the wind and then I took Beth back to Partick, getting home over two hours later than expected.  Beth is looking to get out more often so it looks like the Serpentine did not put her off.

Well done to all and thanks for your support - really enjoyed the company and  pedalling through some beautiful parts of our country.

Just remember that you have all completed the second stage of the Johnstone Wheelers island challenge- more discussions at the 90th dinner

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Alan for arranging a great day out Ohyadancer! quite nackered but worth it for good company and scenery also loved the diner Harry Haws. 

We will look forward to the 3 island challenge next year.

Ps thanks guys for encouraging me up that Clune brae