Wobbly Wheel Advice

George

• Members

I've had the wheels off & can't feel any play but when I secure it back on there is side to side play.

With the wheel in the frame, you will be able to grab the rim and move it from side to side - that's to be expected. If there's no play in the axle when you wiggle it with the wheel out of the frame, chances are there's nothing wrong.

George,

It could be the tremendous power output of the bison that's attempting to destroy your rear wheel. Chances are the force from the rear of the bike is too much for the front wheel too and its suffering the same fate. Perhaps your 12 months of secret training have paid off too much and you can no longer disguise your greatness.

Either that or its been that long since you've been on a bike you've forgotten how it feels.

• 2023 Subscriptions

With the wheel in the frame, you will be able to grab the rim and move it from side to side - that's to be expected. If there's no play in the axle when you wiggle it with the wheel out of the frame, chances are there's nothing wrong.

Hi Richard,

Yeah, I know the wheel should move a bit but there is "play" as in something is loose.

Best way to explain it is that if you hold the bike an inch off the ground then drop it there is a distinct juddering noise from the wheel, I've checked the cassette, it's not loose.

Any ideas? Or do you fancy cycling over with your tools? :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Noise could be from loose QR or the end caps are loose take QR out the wheel and take end caps of need 2 alan keys for this

Clean where the bearings are spin wheel with finger in hole and feel how rough it is if rough need bearings

If not clean put caps back on

• Members

Hard to diagnose problems over the internet (though entertaining to try!) Perhaps the noise and the play are separate issues.

If it feels or sounds like something is loose in or near the hub when you move the rim, then it probably is. Strange, though, that you can't feel the same play when the wheel is out of the frame. You would normally expect the opposite to be true: a wheel with a cup and cone hub and a tiny bit of play is often OK when mounted because of the compressing force of the quick release.

What sort of wheel are we talking about? How old? Cup and cone or sealed bearings? There's definitely no play in the axle when you try to wiggle it at either end? The wheel doesn't feel draggy or gritty when you spin it? 

In the meantime, I'd do what Billy says: take the wheel out; take the quick release off, clean and reinstall. Not too tight; not too loose. Make sure the wheel is properly centred in the frame. Chung had problems with creaky quick release recently. It does happen.

Other things you might try:

- Check for loose spokes.

- Check the valve stem isn't rattling against the rim.

If you hold the bike an inch off the ground then drop it there is a distinct juddering noise from the wheel.

- Stop doing this!  :)

Strange but true.....

My new pre-ride checklist now consists of grabbing the rim and pulling it to the side, having reassured myself that this will cause lateral movement I then proceed to hold the bike an inch of the ground and drop it....only when I hear a reassuring noise do I commit to a ride.