E K Evening Saunter

Colin McPhee

• Members

Reaches parts the Renfrew bunch can't reach, Andy.

A full field of 60 on an overcast but largely dry night on the Drumclog circuit. Lots of decent riders in the field and a particularly classy turnout from the Gales, who must have had at least seven in the race. Me and Paul McD for the Wheelers after Colin's mechanical problems and Andy's sore back. Mul providing roadside support and a pre-race pep talk. A stiff headwind on the way out; a fast run-in to Strathaven with the wind at our backs.

Keen to avoid a repeat of last year's early bath, I was riding in the front 15 of the bunch when the comms pulled in the neutralised flag. Felt OK on the way out to the first turn. The surges always come as a shock to the system but it was manageable. A few chancers cutting across the white line and moving up the bunch on the wrong side of the road. Paul McD doing his usual floating-through-the-head-of-the-field routine. (This magic trick began with the roll-out. I was sitting 12 riders from the front, waiting in the queue for the race car to lead us out. Paul's leaning on a wall, talking to some folk about 20 yards behind me. As soon as the race car starts to move, Paul's directly behind it, close enough to touch the bumper with his tongue!)

Anyway, a quarter of a mile from the first ascent of the climb to Dungavel, I look behind me and find that I'm the last man and somehow at the back of the bunch. Hanging on for dear life up the climb with the juniors throwing their tiny featherweight bodies into the slope with venom. Safely back in the pack at the end of the first lap.

Second lap, second time up the climb and I'm starting to cramp. Can't really stand up so I have to sit and spin like mad. Dropped near the top but I managed to get myself back on before Brown's Bridge after two and a bit miserable miles of chasing. End of the second lap and I'm safely in the bunch, but resigned to the fact that the final time up the climb on lap three, I'm toast.

So, lap three out of Strathaven and into the wind again. Paul's now about four riders in front of me, looking good. Maybe about 20-25 riders left in the bunch. Not totally sure about that. Jason Barnes and Nicky Cronin are off the front together. The sky over Drumclog is very, very dark and it's starting to rain. We arrive at the foot of the piggery climb for the final time. I'm not dead last, but I'm still at the wrong end of the bunch. Before we get onto the slope there's a crash in front of me on the outside. A couple of riders down, including Lewis Mul, I think. A slow-motion wheel slip. Nobody hurt. I go round the rider on the deck and onto the climb. Spin, spin, spin, but my body's had enough for today. I move to the side and wave the cars through before spelling about over the last five miles with a guy from Icarus.

Even without the crash, I was always going to get dropped on that last ascent. Too far back and too many matches burnt already. The crash victim I overtook at the foot of the climb remounted and left me for dead before the summit! Lewis Mul finished fourth overall, second in the bunch sprint after the breakaway stuck. Nicky Cronin from the Glasgow Wheelers took the win. Paul McD finished safely in the bunch. Jason from the Gale was second. No' bad for a TT-er! :-D

Great race, great course. Really well-marshalled; riders (on the whole) looking out for each other. A lovely atmosphere in Sandford village hall with kids helping their parents out with the food and the sign on. Well done, East Kilbride RC!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great report Richard, glad you did it as it was a late night for me due to closed motorway for roadworks. You captured it all, I was right behind the crash but steered around it, honestly don't know if Lewis was on the floor - I don't recall seeing him. Anyway the climb on this circuit is short, however any climb is hard if you go fast enough as I was reminded last night. Had to end myself to stay with front group on lap 2 then again making up a bit of lost ground after the crash on lap 3. Stayed with group to finish where I was unable to muster up a sprint due to sore legs !

However Lewis did and got a great 2nd in the bunch gallop. And hats off to Richard getting back on to a fast moving bunch.

Off to pack my bike for Espana, will send you all a postcard :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ace race reporting from Paul and Richard. well organised racing by EKRC. Young Mul did indeed hit the deck 6 miles from the line and was dead last on the road. However adrenalin is a wonderful thing and he nailed it back and got a good result in the gallop. Happy lad.

M8 traffic was bloomin awful on the way home though.