Alternative Confined TT courses

Big Al

Just in case we're in the position of the Georgetown being closed/unusable again (and it is getting resurfaced soon anyway) do we have any thoughts or opinions on alternative courses? Obviously we have the Westferry and Langbank courses, and the old Gateside APR course as possibilities but what are the thoughts on the options below?

Option 1: a T or Y shaped course based round Red Smiddy roundabout involving possibly a start on Barnsford road at the Christian place, heading towards the first roundabout (I know it's not ideal but is it safe enough?) at Inchinan Drive, either going right round to return (or adding the section of Inchinan Drive to the Rolls Royce roundabout, absolutely beautiful piece of road) to Red Smiddy. Left turn onto A8 to the convenient new roundabout and back. Left turn again at Red Smiddy onto Southbar road and then 3 options: turn at roundabout 1 and back to finish just before Red Smiddy at the sign on the left; or turn right at roundabout 1, include the stretch of Parkway round roundabout, back and left turn onto Southbarr road to same finish; or go straight through roundabout 1, through the Belisha beacon pedestrian crossing, round the big roundabout at petrol station and return (through pedestrian crossing for second time) same finish.

Advantages: start is just round the corner from GTown if it's a last minute change. It's flat. Good Tarmac.

Disadvantages: Roundabouts!

Option 2: Kingston Road just Southwest of Neilston towards Dunlop.

Cracking rolling piece of straight road which is about 4.5 miles long, start just over the top of the hill from Neilston at the big pylon/gravelly road end. Dead turn around the road that leads to East Muirshiel farm and back.

Advantages: no roundabouts, quiet, straight,

Disadvantages: further away (but not much further than Shilford), windy, dead turn

Any other ideas?

post-3151-0-32197100-1396818885_thumb.jpg

post-3151-0-19506400-1396818900_thumb.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Al, some outstanding options there. I don't know the Kingston road route, and I'd be worried about the section of the Greenock road as it can be busy. Then, so is Westferry and nobody complains about that. That would probably get my vote.

Thanks for this Al.

I don't personally much fancy the Smiddy option used last night - although the road is wide, the surface is poor and its is a fast/busy commuter road at that time in the evening. As Alan says, people may not actively complain about the Westferry, but they do consistently vote with their feet (or should that be pedals!) - numbers always drop markedly when we move from the Georgetown. Not sure I quite get Billy's point about roundabouts - the Westferry 10 has six, the 25 course has 14 with 2 "dead" turns thrown in and the Ayrshire course to be used for the forthcoming National 25 has a similar number of roundabouts.

A few years ago we used an APR course round Kilmacolm/Quarriers as an alternative to the Sgt Law/Peesweep course. It would serve pretty well also as a TT course. The start is on the B788 opposite Knapps Loch and runs anticlockwise turning left onto the B786 (Kilmacolm/Lochwinnoch) road left again after Duchal Mains Farm onto the unmarked road to Quarriers, left again just after the 30 mph sign/Scottish Epilepsy centre, over the Gryffe up and left onto the A761(main BOW/Kilmacolm road) briefly, before turning left again at Knapps Loch to the start.

One circuit is bout 7.4K, so two laps would be about 9 & 2/3 miles or so, generally rolling terrain , with a testy wee rise up to the main road after crossing the Gryffe. Others more local will have a sense of the current road conditions, but from memory I think it is pretty fair, other than the B786 section which is fairly worn.

Anyway, see what you (and others) think.

Looking further ahead, as I mentioned when Ramsay first posted the confined events, my view is that we need to consider an alternative to the Uplawmoor course for the League 25s. I may be wrong, but I cannot think of another club that still uses the course. The last open events I remember on that course were the Couriers about 3-4 years ago, since then they have switched.

Iain

Thanks Iain, I didn't know that was used as an APR course but when I was riding on it yesterday afternoon I thought it would be ideal and was my next option! Most of the Tarmac I was on was perfect! Went with the Smiddy option as it was last minute and just round the corner

A77 would be good for 25 I reckon

Guest George

Westferry for me. Traffic stays in other lane. Roundabouts are as safe as they can be.

Agree with Iain regarding uplawmoor- road surface is shocking. Not only is it busy, it's also narrow which makes it doubly dangerous.

Iain

Three last night for the Georgetown is not exactly a vote of confidence

Whilst the gt has lights we should look at other courses but they should be local the APR course is also not ideal as I remember nearly getting wide out by a car coming in the opposite direction

What about Erskine must be a decent loop round there

Billy

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious:

1. Last night wasn't on the Georgetown

2. it followed 2 weeks of uncertainty as to whether or not the course was rideable due to road works

3. It was a poor night weatherwise so a low turnout was forseeable

4. Any cursory look at turnout over the past 3-5 years demonstrates that the Georgetown is , by far, the best supported course we ride.

As for near things, I think we have all ridden enough to know that these can happen anywhere.

Iain

How does this sound.

Start on lochlibo rd at the canneman (paraffin lamp) head toward irvine to the round about at lawford and back according to google maps it's 17 miles

Wee bit longer but good road surface and some nice long straights and general rises etc

A good time to aim for would be a 40 min or less

Iain

Being simplistic A the weather was fine and we were going to use the Georgetown and only 3 / 4 decided to ride it

I don't really care where we ride instead of the Georgetown but saying one thing just to change another course is not cricket

My last point still stands whatever course we use should be local

• 2023 Subscriptions

As someone who drives the Kilmacolm / Quarriers route regularly, I find Iain's route 'interesting', as Al says most of the route has a good surface after recent resurfacing on the B786, but the leg from the B786 to Quarriers has a very poor surface, is narrow and twisty with a number of blind bends. Both of the bridges over the Gryffe are single track and require a game of 'chicken' with any vehicle coming the other way! Whilst I sometimes use these routes whilst travelling in a steel safety cell, I avoid them on my bike and would not partake in a TT on this route.

The Georgetown, is currently a poor surface, but is due to be resurfaced imminently so should improve.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Al

Keen to keep our local routes. Once traffic lights away georgetown should b fine.In my experience west ferry equally fine for 10 & 25 as is evidenced by no of tt events on it this year starting with st Christopher at end of this month and I note quite a few of my jwcc chums have entered. I think that one of reasons for nos going down is it's longer and tts are tough. If u move us to A77 I would have to buy a house next to Chung and that would b dangerous. Anyway just to annoy those of u at work or going there I am now heading to the smooth roads of Roubaix au revoir

• Members

Courses used in past as alternatives to Georgetown

a) start at entrance to road leading to Chivas bond on outskirts of Gateside , head south to turn left onto Lugton road .

Head East to turn left at Canny Man ( Parrafin Lamp) and head toward Beith finish at Gateside sign approx 7mile.

Was used for chocolate series a few years ago.

1 lap of Barrmill circuit start and finish at old social club art RNAD. In reality you can start and finish a variety of locations on circuit

c) Start at entrance to Gleddoch hotel head to turn at Houston r/b retrace to finish at bottom of climb to Gleddoch approx 7 miles

d) start at top of hill on RNAD Barrmill circuit just before the left turn on the circuit at Barrmill village ( heading in opposite direction from normal ) head toward Dalry and turn left at B707 head South to turn left onto Lugton road . Thru Burnhouse and turn left onto Barrmill road finish at Barrmill sign approx 7 mile This was used as a road race circuit when I ran the LVRC easter stage race

These are a a few options used successfully in past

Kenny MacD