Cycling shoes for narrow feet

DavieB

Any thoughts on best fit shoes for narrow feet.

Current Specialized pair will not last another season and replacements are required. Personally think the new Specialized shoes look hacket and to be honest the current ones have the straps pretty much pulled to their max indicating they may not be the best fit.

Have tried Mavic and Shimano and both too wide. Though confusingly I have worn Shimano MTB shoes in the past.

Believe SIDI might be suitable for narrow feet?

Any replies before I visit my favorite "lifestyle" store at Braehead (cannae wait) are appreciated.

Also my understanding is that the aforementioned "lifestyle" store are the only ones who stock a reasonable number of different brands to try on - if there is another local store who has a decent range let me know.

Cheers,

Davie

Cheers Alan,

I am generally a 44 - though think this might be a 45 in SIDI - so probably too small for a try on.

The problem I have with all the super duper sales on the SIDI shoes (which are probably the answer given comments above) is that they never have stock of the correct size.

Cheers all.

D

True Billy - ordering on the internet is hit and miss and am in the process of sending a pair back to Chain Reaction.

Problem is finding a store that actually stocks different brands to try on, everywhere is saturated with the usual suspects - the McDonaldization of society indeed.

D

• Members

Davie, I went from Specialized to Sidi a couple of years ago. Like for like, the Sidis are substantially narrower. If trying shoes for size locally is a problem, just order from Wiggle and return the shoes if they don't fit. They're really good about accepting returns. I've done this myself. The only hassle is taking the package to a collection point for pickup.

I bought a pair of cheap road shoes for the track in November, basically because I wanted white shoes for exclusive use indoors. :oops:

They were only 80 quid, but so far, so good. The sole is much stiffer than the Sidis ever were; they are a bit clumpier in comparison, and it's terminally naff that it says "carbon" on the carbon sole, but - more importantly - they fit better than the Sidis and they provide better arch support than my Specialized shoes. What I'm saying is, although the Italian shoes look great and everyone's wearing them, maybe we could do better for our money by looking at other brands. I think I'd try Lake shoes if I was buying again. I've seen some lovely pairs at the velodrome. Happy shopping.

Richard,

As my mobile phone would suggest I would happily wear £40 shoes with the logo "Tight Git" applied assuming they fit and the soles are stiff, one of the reasons I liked the Specialized was the really stiff sole - something I would want to replicate. I got them dirt cheap as well and have no intention of paying the approx. £200 for direct replacements.

Buying the same brand as worn by the pro's will not improve my performance as I suspect there are other more substantial factors which make them fitter, faster and stronger.

I think one of the advantage of SIDI's is that they will last and I would expect to get many years out of anything I am shelling money out for.

Cheers all,

Davie

Davie, beg to differ on the sidi durability.

I bought a pair of ergo 3 & within months the dial on both shoes stopped working.

Replaced with pair of giro factor from a shop in Paisley instead.

Ratchet & two Velcro straps & mega comfy.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I think you can get replacement ratchets for sidis

Specialized shoe prices have gone up quite a bit in the last 2 or 3 years. I'm happy with mine but they are starting to fall apart but reluctant to pay the asking price for a new pair.

Tempted by the Fizik R3 on Planet X at the moment for £60, no idea what the fit is like though.

Davie,

Sidi are a narrow fit and with most cycling kit there is no standard sizing across brands. As others have alluded to you need to try before you buy but you know this already. Regards quality and durability I've found sidi excellent on both counts. That said I buy the top of the range shoes - my little vice. Tight git and ergo 3s are not compatible.

Still wearing my 8 year old ergo 2s as a winter shoe. Many parts are now replaceable on sidi shoes. I would recommend them.

M