EK Strathclyde Park Cross Nov 10th

Big Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Good luck Andy and Al and anyone else who is riding tomorrow, have a blast.

Hope there is plenty left in the tank after your strong efforts today Andy.

:)

Cheers Paul. Looking forward to my first race! Hope fully get a place this morning with on site registration.

See you soon Davie and Al

Brutal, brutal and brutal probably sums it up. Course design by the marquis de Sade. Long laps with lots of climbing and portage /transition.

Legs shredded churning too big a single ring at the front and DIY drive train running like a bag of bolts so time to break out the credit card.

Apart from that fun.

Enjoy the carbs.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Brilliant course. Started with the meadows. Two grassy sections separated by asphalt and a ditch where the marquis de Sade hung out. This was followed by a fast flowy section. Then off the bike to climb some stairs. There was another climb that increasingly sucked power out of our legs. Then descend into an embankment where steep transition climbing with bike on shoulders.

Then there was a fast flowy section where it was possible to grab some air followed by quite a nasty wee technical descent through very slimy ground. After that the meadows to look forward to...

Again....

Again....

Again....

And again.

Happy days I loved it. New bike. New shoes. New suffering!

Race done, shattered but exhilarated :D. Everything washed up, nap had, dinner had (wine being had)!

Yeah, that was an 'easy' course so I was told! Glad I had practiced some transitioning, although no shouldering was needed, the bike was a very useful balance tool for all three transitions! The first sadistic ditch was take one giant step/leap and hold yourself up with bike as you landed at the other side, the second into the steps was a leg over and clip out as you hit the bottom and use the bike's momentum to get up in two bounds, the third was clip out and keep running as you hit the slope :D

Some long draggy hills, but strangely these are where I passed the most people?! I didn't blast too hard off the start and that left me a constant supply of people to chase down and pass all the way round. My mountain bike skills certainly came in handy on some very near misses, got over most of the big bomb hole obstacles without putting a foot down, fell off once, straight sideways in the meadow as the bike stalled in the second last lap!

Great fun, bring on Irvine!

Well done Andy and Davie in the vets, looking strong boys, and to Mike and James in ?(super vets?)?

Andy, Al,

Glad you enjoyed it ...it's quite addictive.

Al - from your description my transition technique is even worse than I suspected or my wee stubby legs just don't cover the same distance as yours - I suspect a bit of both. If you cleared the first ditch in one bound then evidently one small step for Big Al represents a giant leap for Wee Davie - Chapeau.

Andy - cool bike BTW, how the other half live eh? Here was me fettling out the bolt holes on my crappy chain ring to get it to fit I think this "auld skool" approach may equate to tight git. Where's my flexible friend.

See you at the sands of Irvine.

D

Amazed to see that I finished only one position behind Mike! Hardly saw him throughout the race :( Only one fall which included a face-plant just after the bomb hole. Then a nasty wee ditch full of tree roots with a tree right in front saw me taking an excursion into the undergrowth. This is probably where I ripped a spoke out the rear wheel :( but didn't realise till afterwards. It certainly seemed a fast course, if only I could master going round corners at speed! Lots of fun though and hope to be at Irvine with or without a new wheel.

Well done Mike, you lead 2-1.

James