tt bike info

iain couttie

• 2023 Subscriptions

i am thinking of getting a tt bike however there are some questions that i dont have the answer to.

1 what is the difference between a tt bike and a tri bike

2 will the money spent on a specific tt bike make some sort of difference over my trek madone with aero bars and mavic wheels

3 size wise on tt bikes, are they the same as road bike, i am a 56, would that be my size on a tt bike

iain

Question 1 not much

Question two depends how much you spend trek and wheels not overly aerodynamic new bike should be if bought with say 50 mm or greater wheels

Don't know about size but would suggest not the same size TT bike position is very different than road PM somebody like Kenny Christie or Mul who is a road and TT coach

• 2023 Subscriptions

Iain,

1 - nothing. Usually just set up. For long TT's and triathlons it is incredibly uncomfortable to stay in a good aero position.

2 - The gains of a even a great TT bike well set up is relatively marginal, compared with training harder to just be fitter and stronger. It does help, but....

3 - My TT bike is listed as the same size, but is considerably lower at the front (much shorter head tube), so I can get into a far more aero position. It is a trade off between aero and comfort (especially on your neck!).

I looked a lot at my position and then worked out what size of frame I needed to get the position I wanted.

There is also the psycological aspect of having a great bike, which I always think makes you go quicker!

Cheers,

R

Question 1 - UCI, therefore BC and maybe SC, rules apply to TT bikes something to do with 1:3 aerodynamic ratios and stuff. Triathlon rules are different so allow drafting and mega aero bikes.

There was a big debate on this a year or so ago. Not sure what latest is in terms of SC adoption of rules but best to check. Not sure what this means for the Georgetown but best check in case SC intend to implement in Chocolate Series ;-)

Sean Gray is your man for answers. Drop him a PM if he's not reading this

Kenny

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Ian

I'm with Ramsay. Short head tube means lower front end, hence more aero. However you need to be able to reach the bars, so top tube length more important than seat tube. Got a Dolan TT bike (now belonging to Lewis) if you wanted to try for size?

i am thinking of getting a tt bike however there are some questions that i dont have the answer to.

1 what is the difference between a tt bike and a tri bike

2 will the money spent on a specific tt bike make some sort of difference over my trek madone with aero bars and mavic wheels

3 size wise on tt bikes, are they the same as road bike, i am a 56, would that be my size on a tt bike

iain

Hi Iain,

really depends on what your plans are and your individual physique ( i.e how low can you go at the front without loosing power)

getting low at the front is great (Free Speed!!) but it doesnt always make you go fast.

I take on Ramsays point regards the sore neck, but that is only because his back and neck muscles are not used to the position, sadly i now feel more comfortable in the TT position than what i do on the hoods (how sad am I!!) that i struggle on a long run with my shoulders and back (or maybe thats just my age)

Cheers Sean.

• Committee

Iain,

1. Kenny is right re. rules. Triathlon rules allow very aero bikes which would not pass UCI rules (absent LH chainstay/downtube/fairings etc). This will not matter on Georgetown but it might matter if you ever see yourself at a major SC or BC event. So I suggest you check any proposed purchase is UCI legal. Dedicated tri bikes generally have steeper seat tube angles to open up the hips more to make the run easier, this can push the saddle <5cm behind the BB which is disallowed by the UCI. The forward saddle position tends to allow a shorter headtube length and gets the front end right down which I like. TT bike is designed for flat out effort then get off and collapse. Tri bike is designed for flat out effort up to 180k then run, so can be a bit more forgiving but there is really very little difference, they are both designed to go fast, solo.

2. A dedicated tt bike with shifters on the extension bar ends is much nicer to ride on a flattish, straightish course. If you don't need to brake or corner a lot then it is great to keep your arms in front and snick through the gears. The drops create drag and it is a pain to reach out to change gear. I am sure you will go faster on a TT bike but only you can decide if it is worth it!

3. Size. you will have to try it out but many tt bikes are just s,m,l and you will almost certainly be a medium. I am a 56 road bike and M Planet x tt bike.If in doubt take a tape measure to your road bike. Pedal/saddle will be the same and saddle/head tube distance will be within 1-2cm.

Alan