Ayrshire Alps

Andy,

Ayrshire roads seem to be neglected for runs for some unknown reason - I only pick the very best of the pave cos' I like it like that, but unlike the people the roads are not all rough.

Why don't you post some dates in the club runs section to get the ball rolling.

If you post they will come.

D

Would tentatively second Davie's comments on the neglect of Ayrshire routes (A78 excepted) as possible bunch runs, not too keen on the farm tracks claimed by Davie B as roads!!!!! I suppose to get the best out of some better cycling roads in and around Ayr requires a bit of a trek to get there, hence we stick to familiar roads. Ayr and back to Johnstone is probably a club run in itself.

That said the now established Troon ride has been well accepted, might be the Venice Cafe's scones that swung it. There's a fairly good network of roads in and around Maybole and Girvan, not too familiar with Kilmarnock tho.

I did a good solo run last year from Ayr to Girvan and back last year - offered everything a bit of flat coast, a few decent climbs and rolling country roads all in 60 miles or so. Watering holes can be a bit few and far between in places. If there is no strong adversion to jumping on a train (any different from the ferry apart from the water?) to Ayr on a Sunday morning there are a few decent Sunday runs to be had during the summer.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Andy

I know these routes well. My recommendation would be to drive just south of Ayr. Then the world is your oyster. Magnificent climbs on quiet roads. Really the options for climbing are unlimited. Only comparable in this part of the world is rides from Dunoon over Tighnabruich way.

Whilst my normal approach is always to ride from the house and not spend precious time in a car the 45 min drive is worth it in this case. So, I would be up for this.

:)