Road races

charlie p

• 2023 Subscriptions

Have noticed that nick hardy and British eagle races are fully booked. Seems to be a policy of first come first served. Does any one know if this is to be the case for all races and if so how do we know when race open. I was wanting to do lake apr but no online entry yet.

Charlie,

From my experience it is either first come first served or complete pot luck. I couldn't work out how entries were done last year. I think I had a 25% success rate of getting a start in contrast to entering races, and if you discount the Jim Daly and the Rothesay APRs then that drops further. That said admittedly I am rubbish at keeping my eye on the BCF site and Braveheart forum. I think its a case of 'if your not fast you're last and if you're last then you ain't riding.

It does seem harsh that you dole out on a race licence only to find you hardly get to use it, part of the reason I'm looking to do more TTs this year.

M

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

I garner from braveheart that drumclog apr is 1st come 1st served.

With it being 3rd & 4th cat only it's probably the most apt criteria.

There also ain't a heck of a lot of races on the BC site, hope it fills up!

The lakes apr is a popular one so best keep an eye on it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Have entered some races:

Drumclog APR-Didn't get in

Jim Daly-Paul, I know where you live!

Straighton Struggle-60 places left when I entered but don't know if this means 1st come, 1st served.(where is Straighton?)

Fenwick & Lake APR-Both on same weekend, hoping to at least get start in one of them.

Bella Park Circuit Race-Had a few sherbets when I entered this, don't know what I was thinking.

Will enter JWCC RR in June too.

George,

With regards to the JWCC race in June, the club have a rule that all volunteer positions must be filled, either by members or their proxy, before members are allowed to race in a Club Open Event.

A few of the other Series Organisers have similar rules in their own clubs which means that Host Clubs will have low or no entries in their own races due to the organisation involved. Being a member of an organising club does however give priority over other non-organising clubs in terms of entries for the other races

Given the numbers / proportions involved it is probable that any one Organising Club could have 4-5 riders in any one of the series races plus Juniors plus women. It may not be enough to satisfy demand but is way more than what we are getting at the moment based on the knock backs that you and others are receiving

Kenny

George,

No idea where Straighton is, next to Trumpton maybe?

Straiton, however is in South Ayrshire, I raced this last year and it is a cracking wee circuit though probably best to leave your carbon deep sections at home. Might enter again this year but am waiting to see if I can actually manage to cycle to Renfrew, never mind with the Renfrew, before I do anything much.

D