8th/9th september

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

There are 3 events that weekend. Is anyone planning to do any of these?

I am sort of up for any of them but if no one else then propose a trip round Arran.

Castle Douglas 3,4 - Saturday 8th

Kinross vets - Sunday 9th

Lammermuirs 2,3,4 - Sun 9th

Or does anyone fancy a whirl round Arran - the good old Arran challenge. With the current ferry timetable you have the option to go at 7.30am or 9.45am. If you go at 7.30am there is actually an extra 40 minutes versus old timetable but for purpose of challenge any aprticipants will be expected to do the loop with an effective average speed of 20.4mph. Returning 12.15.

I have entered the vets race but the way my race luck has been I will get a flat that's about the only thing and or excuse I have left

So put simply i will go with the flow especially if Kinross is hilly

• 2023 Subscriptions

Iain

I'm pretty sure you would achieve this monumental challenge - remember there is an extra 40 min - it is only to retain the ethos of the original that we would aim for 20.4mph. If we do achieve it then basically we get 40 mins to eat cakes before the ferry.......or head up the string for the sensational 50mph+ descent....

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Gents

The extra 40 mins only applies to the 7.30am ferry on Saturday. Any other time requires the loop in 2 h 45m or there is a 3 hour wait for the next ferry which effectively makes it an all day job.

So I propose 7.30 am sat returning 12.15 pm.

I cannot do Sunday.

Worth doing before end of 'summer'

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

All

I realise sunday 9th seems to suit everyone better but just thought I'd mention that I am probably still up for the Arran loop with the 40 mins grace, which means thew 7.30am Saturday job, if even only one or two others might prefer the Saturday.

cheers

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

David

Good news - weather looks fine with favourable wind to make good time up the far side.

Not so good news - The timetable changed on 3rd Sep!

What it means is no 7.30am ferry and no 'leeway' for the challenge.

It would be 7am ferry over. Arrive 7.55am, start cycling about 8.10am.

Ferry back at 11.05am but need to be on board about 10.55am.

So 2h45m for 55 miles = 20mph average on the rolling roads.

Well doable !!

If not then next ferry at 12.50pm back in Ardrossan 13.40 which is no problem for me.

You still game?

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

David

My legs need an extended warm up so I plan to ride down to Ardrossan leaving my gaff 5.50am to have a bit of leeway. Let me know if you want to meet at ferry or ride down.

Anyone else who has a last minute desire to undertake this monumental challenge feel free to join :grin:

cheers

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Target hit, mission accomplished, job done, and what a job,

First 20 miles round the south of the island were run out in blanket drizzle and visibility about 50m which put us behind schedule as it was canny going in the spray, wet corners and steep descents.

Good run up the far side with a slight tail wind and dry by now.

Suffice to say we turned ourselves inside out over the climb from Lochranza and the run down to Brodick. Free wheeled at 52 mph on the descent :grin:

Great to have done it before end of season and even better to bag it as a 2 up.

Next season we MUST get a posse organised to go for a double circuit challenge. This would be on the scale of a serious sportive. Reckon we would need 8 plus riders to do the 112 miles. The way the timetable works you actually need a higher average speed which is a bit of a stretch so on 2nd circuit there would be a short cut over the Ross road (with the price to pay of a serious climb :grin: )

Oh ya dancer !