RELIABILITY 2 MOSCOW REVOLUTION 12 FEB

Guest EPCC

Reasons for me are that on recent runs my legs have been cooked after 40-50 main bunch miles so my plan had been to go at intermediate pace and give myself a confidence boost and reminder I can go further.*

Well, plan worked a treat :grin: ......oh, hang on....it didn't!!! :cry:

With the 0930 bunch, pace fine for the most part but when it started creeping up on the way back (mainly on the inclines), that was me. Tried to hang on then BOOM :uzi, legs gone and lo and behold..it was at the 45 mile point!! :smash:angryfire

Limped the remaining 10 miles home.

At this rate I'll be watching the Giro in a pub while you guys ride the Nove Colli because the thought of adding more miles on isn't appealing.

Up until that point, I was enjoying it. Good company as ever and no issues on the road considering the fog.

Pity the roads weren't in such a bad condition.

See you next week......maybe start with the 0900hrs group!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Subscriptions

It was a really fantastic pace today, heads down and really strong team working. I started burning out on the hills on the return and thanks to Paul for helping me back on twice. The puncture at stewarton saved me getting properly dropped in the climb out!

Brilliant ride!!

Andy

Richie, don't get disheartened. From your post it sounds like your in exactly same position I was in this time last year. I couldn't do more than 50 without exploding. You need to keep at it, it'll will come together. Think about whether you are fuelling yourself while riding - little and often, if you don't then you will run out after a couple of hours - for you 45 miles. Over the next couple of rides eat in the saddle; small bite size items even if you don't feel you need it, force it down and teach your body to accept it. Aim to add 5 and then 10 miles in the group before you blow and then finish the route back to Johnstone, even if you have to limp down the track later. 4-6 weeks of gradually increasing the milage will enable you to do 70 miles in the bunch well within your limits - not necessarily easy but doable. Bear in mind there is soup, tea and coffee at Miller Street on finishing the reliabilities and the Dom Smith. Will give you a chance to eat and drink and rest before a final flat 10 along the track.

The lighter nights are just round the corner more than happy to get out and do some hills round the valley with you of an evening. If you fancy a Saturday run to suit your shifts I could manage that, if I don't ride with the bogs bunch. You are riding the NC in May, no question. If you're prepared to put the miles and the effort in I'm prepared to drag you out the house and do them with you - won't do me any harm either.

Cheers

M

• 2024 Subscriptions
Richie, don't get disheartened. From your post it sounds like your in exactly same position I was in this time last year. I couldn't do more than 50 without exploding. You need to keep at it, it'll will come together. Think about whether you are fuelling yourself while riding - little and often, if you don't then you will run out after a couple of hours - for you 45 miles. Over the next couple of rides eat in the saddle; small bite size items even if you don't feel you need it, force it down and teach your body to accept it. Aim to add 5 and then 10 miles in the group before you blow and then finish the route back to Johnstone, even if you have to limp down the track later. 4-6 weeks of gradually increasing the milage will enable you to do 70 miles in the bunch well within your limits - not necessarily easy but doable. Bear in mind there is soup, tea and coffee at Miller Street on finishing the reliabilities and the Dom Smith. Will give you a chance to eat and drink and rest before a final flat 10 along the track.

The lighter nights are just round the corner more than happy to get out and do some hills round the valley with you of an evening. If you fancy a Saturday run to suit your shifts I could manage that, if I don't ride with the bogs bunch. You are riding the NC in May, no question. If you're prepared to put the miles and the effort in I'm prepared to drag you out the house and do them with you - won't do me any harm either.

Cheers

M

Well said that man :smash

Richie

Hydration and the right type of fuel is critical when riding endurance type events so tips for me is make sure you have taken on enough fluids before you start drink a energy Hydration mix sport drink eat energy gels every hour so you don't run low on fuel

The last and most important bit is its not your legs its more the result of energy and or salts when you feel like your legs are going hang in it will hurt but it will go away I always have a part of a ride where I am suffering usually it passes

Hope this helps also look at your turbo sets and do power intervals Luke warm up for 10 mins then 20 mins at FTP or 85/90 % HR ten mins recovery then another 20 min effort finish with 10 min cool down

Photies from the reliabilities so far this year here (including some people who just happened to be riding on the same roads :roll: ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/37563359@N ... 305956659/

Also posted in the Photo's message in the General Section.

Photos will be added as they are taken.

Sorry to the 0900 group from last Sunday. I wasn't in a very good position when you came by and not many shots worked :angryfire (either that or Elaine is the only photogenic one of the lot of yous :lol: )

Colin Hello, beer !!