Main Bunch 11th December

Mark O

Following on from the discussions from yesterday's ride and the consensus for more coast hugging until the forecast ice age abates. A point worth considering is anything remotely near Largs/Fairlie will take in an elevated road. Local knowledge tells me that these roads are usually rubbish when the snows arrive. Largs-Kilbirnie road can become impassible in a car in less than a hour.

Going to suggest a return to Troon for this weekend. Not exactly coast hugging but the main roads down that part of the world are relatively clear. However, we may have to steer clear of Barmill circuit as it will not have been treated and usually only local farm traffic use it. Alternative Troon route would be, down the track to Kilbirnie - Dalry - West Kilbride turn left to Ardrossan through Kilwinning and Irvine and onto Troon. Return via Irvine, Perceton, Stewarton, Dunlop and Lugton, Gateside, Lochwinnoch and track. Only one climb of note and the roads are pretty sheltered down to and back from coast. Thoughts gentlemen. No idea of mileage - somewhere north of 50 in any case

Cheers

M

M

Mark, happy to go wherever but a change of scenery like this would be good to keep

things from going stale.

just a thought, will the track be ok?

Heavy rain forecast for wed/thurs so hopefully that will help clear the slush away.

What?? The whole track? :shock: every tarmac morsel of it? at the one sitting? Thot you were in training coach. Your power to weight ratio must be well into negative numbers after such a meal.

Joking aside, fair point Billy. The track may need to be recce'd before hand. Chances are I'd be getting to Miller Street via track and could offer an on the ground (not literally with luck) report as to conditions.

Usually ok on a Sunday morning. Busiest sections Irvine Road, kilwinning and Kilwinning Road, Irvine. However it is a long straight stretch. Other than that no worse than P Glasgow, Greenock or Gourock. Outwith Irvine again quiet on Sunday am. Various quieter routes in and out and through Irvine area.

Will go with Billy Mac's call re weather.

M

Thanks for the run folks.

Think there were about a dozen of us with me assuming my role as the Lanterne Rouge.

Although I was told it was ok to sit at the back, I soon found the urge to make my way forward....and promptly put myself in the red and slowing the bunch down on an ever so slight incline :oops:

Legs blew a bit heading into Largs....I seem to have a 50 mile barrier at the moment.

Chose the Haylie Brae route home and although I told the chaps not to wait as I toiled up(missing my compact!), in true Joansin tradition, wait they did.

Huge thanks to Paul for towing me into Kilbirnie Hello, beer !!

Cheers Hello, beer !!

Much faster pace today. Faiirly whipped along heading in from coast. More like what we should be doing. I'm free for a spin on wednesday if anyone is up for it. Will take until then for my legs to recover. Sore.