Flying with BA from Glasgow to Italy

Buongiorno 8-)

This is more of a notice rather than a thread. I think it may have been mentioned and lost amongst pages of another thread so I've tried to make this stand out more/act as a reminder.

Just advice for those flying with BA from Glasgow to Bologna to give BA a call on

0844 493 0787

and let them know you're taking a bike with you.

I wasn't allowed to do it for any others that I know are on the same flight.

BA need notice to tell the commercial cargo carriers not to book on too much stuff if a few bikes are going.

Think it's more of a problem from Gatwick to Bologna as it's a smaller plane.

Grazie

Ciao

Darryl - I just waited and spoke to Janine who said definitely and made notes etc there and then.

Chung - ref dimensions. BA allow 190cm x 75 x 65

When I flew to the Pyrenees in June, my padded bike bag only has the dimensions of 135 x 95 x 20 so I think bags should be fine.

Even one of the hard shell bike cases I looked at only come in at 111 x 94 x 30.

As well as my padded bag, I also have an unpadded bag (thick, heavy duty canvas type) and a bike box...which is just really two halves of a few mm's of plastic and a bit more awkward to carry.

The unpadded bag and box have both been on planes before without incident. *

* disclaimer....should anyone borrow either of these, I won't be held responsible if there is an incident! :grin:

Chung

I was looking at a web site so used there dimensions I made the point that it is not stated on the web site that I had to book it however she asked for the dimensions of the bag 1400 x 700 x 250 weight of bag 5kg bike and wheels I guessed at 5 kg total weight 23 which is the max

The ba person was not helpful and claimed you have to book sports equipment as stated on the web page where I don't know I asked about numbers and she said that if 16 were going we would have to travel on separate flights

Sounds like it luck who you speak to!

From BA's website:

There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance. If the total number of bags is more than your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges.

We will accept non-motorised bicycles of all dimensions provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag.

bicycle pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards)

handlebars must be fixed sideways

the bicycle must be contained in a protective case or bag

you may wish to deflate the tyres to reduce risk of damage.

Guys,

I had already raised this issue when I booked over the phone. The concern was the turnaround time at Gatwick being relatively short which prompted the question. The advice I got was for everyone either by phone or on the website to amend their booking to indicate sports equipment e.g. bike in box, jiffy bag cotton wool etc.

The idea was that this allowed the ground crew people at Gatwick to have sufficient manpower available for the flight in from Glasgow to physically transfer the baggage. No doubt there will be questions regards the plane's hold capacity but that's beyond our control and not something we should get our bibs in a twist about. I'd suggest we all amend our booking details accordingly then we can at least be justifiably outraged and all petted lipped when it all goes to pot at baggage reclaim in Italyland.

Mark

Guys,

I had already raised this issue when I booked over the phone. The concern was the turnaround time at Gatwick being relatively short which prompted the question. The advice I got was for everyone either by phone or on the website to amend their booking to indicate sports equipment e.g. bike in box, jiffy bag cotton wool etc.

The idea was that this allowed the ground crew people at Gatwick to have sufficient manpower available for the flight in from Glasgow to physically transfer the baggage. No doubt there will be questions regards the plane's hold capacity but that's beyond our control and not something we should get our bibs in a twist about. I'd suggest we all amend our booking details accordingly then we can at least be justifiably outraged and all petted lipped when it all goes to pot at baggage reclaim in Italyland.

Mark

Seems to be we're all getting told different things depending on what member of staff you speak to.

The lady I spoke to said it was the hold capacity and if we were in first Smith and Jones Menswear etc wouldn't get their boxes of Y fronts on etc.

I've had a look at 'Manage my booking' and can't find anywhere to mention sporting equipment, only extra bags etc :-?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello chaps!

A little update for you regarding our bikes and BA.

I've been working at Glasgow airport the last couple of days so spoke to one of the BA girls I know.

She checked my flight details and said the info regarding the bike was correct whereas some of us just a note attached.

Anyway....she went through ALL 14 of us and there is now the correct info regarding taking a bike and this is good for all flights Oh ya dancer !

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

I know I've sent a PM recently....bad planning :smash

What I should've done was this....

It appears that on the Wed, all 7 Joansin are leaving on:

BA2953 Dep GLA 0545 - Arr GAT 0715 then

BA2560 Dep GAT 0915 - Arr BOL 1220

On Thurs, 6 of us are on

BA2957 Dep GLA 1000 - Arr GAT 1125 while Paul McD is on

BA2961 Dep GLA 1320 - Arr GAT about 1445?

then all 7 of us are on

BA2562 Dep GAT 1540 - Arr BOL 1835

On the Mon 21st return

At least 11 of us are on

BA2561 Dep BOL 1305 - Arr GAT 1415

Alan and Duncan are on

BA2563 Dep BOL 1840 - Arr GAT 1950

Paul McD is on

BA0541 Dep BOL 1335 - Arr HEA 1445

On the last leg home, we're either on

BA2963 Dep GAT

BA2964 Dep GAT 1715 - Arr GLA 1840