TLI Champs

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Would anyone be interested in travelling down to Northumberland for the TLI Age related British Champs next Sunday ? Its about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive. Location is Stamfordham, starts at 11am.

I’ve only done this once and there were individual results and prizes for about 8 different age groups. Saw about 70 riders on the start sheet on the TLI web site, probably be more on the day and it will likely be split into 2 or 3 races. “Hilly 22 mile circuit with finishing loop†to be covered once or twice dependent on age group is the description, I don’t know this circuit – do you know it Darryl ?

Anyone ?

Oh ya dancer !

• Committee

The circuit was used in the BC National champs last year and includes the Ryals hill which helped break up the pack and my legs. Paul and I rode two laps with about 40 other riders in our age cat.

After a frantic first ten miles we started the Ryals in the leading bunch of 20 and I was spat out the back and only managed to rejoin by following paul's wheel on the brow. Thanks. Where were the spectators? What I didn't know is that the Ryals is actually two ramps of 10-15% 200m apart so the gloaters were at the top of the second part which really hurt but jwcc were still in contention.

On the second lap some guys pinged off the front (should i go?) and suddenly there was a good break of six or so riders working hard. My chase group of six was disorganised but I reckoned I might be on for a top ten but then I took a wrong turn and it was game over. Solo tt to finish. Tea and cakes all round and DS McDonald drove the team car home. Hello, beer !!

This was a very interesting and hard race on excellent quiet roads. We had echelons in strong winds, evil climbs and interesting tactics.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Chapeau to Alan !

As he mentioned the bunch split in two first time over the scary climb with us two being the last 2 to catch the train. My recovery did not match Alan and a few miles later on the exposed top of the moor some inconsiderate "racer" put the hammer down in strong winds just when I had a bad patch and I was pumped from the lead group. But not Alan. I teamed up and finished with a group of 6 behind the splintered lead group.

Good to experience the Ryal climb which although short is pretty goddam hard.

Real good ride by Alan on a very hilly course.

Rothesay is flat in comparison, also just to encourage as many as possible to go to the road races on Sunday, there is a 22 mile beginners, 44 mile handicapped APR and a 66 mile elite race. For those keen on trying out road racing next year now is the time to get on the boat (literally), push the boat out and give it a go in the beginner race or APR.

Oh ya dancer !