British Eagle and May Day Gallop

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Did a couple of races this long weekend.

The Britsh Eagle Road Race in East Lothian was essentially a training run, after having to take to the verge to avoid a crash on lap 2 of 4. It actually didn't take me that long to catch back up with the bunch, but my head just wasn't in it after that. It was a full field of 80 and fairly hectic with some dodgy moves. With the tailwind on some stretches we were going along at 45mph!!! Anyway, before I could get back up near the front, a break of about 12 went off the front, so it was really down to a race for minor places. I finished at the back of the main bunch.

Sunday was spent watching Elaine taking 6mins off her sprint triathlon PB through at Midlothia tri! Oh ya dancer ! (Racing under JWCC colours)!

On to Monday, it was through to Grangemouth for the May Day Gallop APR. I went off in group 5 of 6, with some really good riders in the scratch group (who never caught us)!. However, our group worked fairly well together and we gradually picked off all the front four groups, to form a fairly sizeable group. On the last of 5 laps, a break of four went off the front and got about a 20 second lead that was holding. So with about a two miles to go and the only hill of any sort left, I jumped off the front of the main bunch and turned myself inside out to make it across to the four leaders. When I got to them there was a bit of hesitation, so I "suggested" that we work together to keep away from the main bunch and worry about sprinting for first in the last couple of hundred metres. We all did work together into the headwind finish and it came down to a sprint between the five of us, but my earlier effort had left me with nothing, so I could only manage fourth. Still, best result of the season so far and good fun.

Next week is my first Super 6 A race! :shock:

Cheers,

R