Arran Sunday 20th

Guest EPCC

• 2023 Subscriptions

At first it was rainy and the day seemed like it could be a real bother! but once the sun came out and the banter flowed it was nothing short of fantastic!

A good route, definitely one for the hot summer days....off the ferry, head north, over the string, left turn head south, turn just after sliddery at the church, over a cracking road **** into lamlash, then left heading north, through brodick and right over the top to some small township, and back over the string road in the opposite direction.

**** at this point billy had a tumble after some dodgy cornering, but he was safe and well, thanks to a muddy wall, and charlie gets Quote of the day award but...it is far too obscene for the site, but something about being an idiot!!...

All in all a cracking run, sun came out after a damp fair few miles, and 93.6 miles for most!!

cheers all and to the willie for the van and lift.

Greg

P.s Also! other notable moments include over shoes on the wrong feet, a visit to the very cafe jim D questioned the brownness of his lunch roll and a second tumble form billy into a ditch because of a car!

• Life Members

Greg,

Sounds like a cracking day out. Kind of regret now for missing this one.

Hope John and Billy are O.K after coming off the bike. More importantly are your bike ok chaps?

See you all next Sunday!

Chung

Another cracking day out.

A smaller group opted for the more traditional round the coast route - Alan Y, James, FerenezeJohn, Johnathan and Willie set off southwards from the ferry. On the first climb some began to realise that they may have underestimated the temperature so a quick regroup after shedding some layers at the top. Fast descent into Lamlash where we left Willie who wasn't feeling too good. Onwards to Whiting Bay and another good descent. We then took the low road down to Kildonan which proved to be wet, oily covered in gravel and the down fall for John who parted company with his bike on a downhill hairpin – no real damage other than to his jacket and a bruised elbow.

On round the coast with James and Johnathan leading on most of the hills and Alan catching them on the down hill bits. Passes the Flanders group around Catacol. Some soup and coffee in Lochranza – only thing missing was Simon on guitar.

If it could fall off Alan’s bike it did – tubes, allen keys, saddlebag, light etc etc etc.

That only left the last climb of the day with probably the worst road surface on the descent. Back on the flat we were joined by Paul who been with the Flanders group, James announced he need a spell so Alan and Paul led the group round the coast till Paul declared his legs spent. Alan continued at the front with Johnathan till it came to the sprint – a fully revived Paul and James (they had been sitting in for some time) took off with Paul celebrating too early and James taking it on the line.

A fine day out with mostly good weather.

An enjoyable day out despite the tired legs. Only blip was standing 15 mins at Catacol like a lemon in the wind and rain for the small group to come around the coats only to find out when I caught them on the way back that they had been sitting in the Lochranza Hotel eating soup only a mile away!! The bikes could not be seen from the road.

Regarding the above post declaring spent legs was part of my cunning plan to get back in the shelter of the bunch and save myself for 30 sprint at Brodick.

Got a flying start but committed the sin of celebrating too early and letting James take it by an inch on the line. Pity - it would have been my first one!

NOt out next week due to a severe attack of holidays so I wish all you Flanders boys an enjoyable and incident free trip. Looking forward to haering teh stories when I get back.

Billy - no more spectacualer nose dives into ditches!! Belgian mud isnt so soft.

PC

• 2023 Subscriptions

what a cracking day. myself tom Billy martin and greg left from the clubrooms and had a quick gallop to ardrossan. We met the other guys at Ardossan and had nosh and banter on the ferry. paul joined us for the first half of our trip round arran then decided to show the other group how a 58 year old can sprint. Highlight of the day is Billy's dramatic fall. full speed down The Ross Hill oops turn ain't happening then airbourne into muddy dyke. yes my words were choice but only out of concern. how can i give him a doing in Flanders if he is in the A & E ( methinks I will regret saying that ). thanks to willie Cosh for lift back. Agree with greg need to do this trip again in Summer