Gleniffer Braes Country Park, - MTB Consultation

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Dear all,

Received this by email from a company called Aedas, Architects and Landscape Architects. If you have any views, can you post here and I'll collate to send back to them?

=====================

They are working with a trail designer Paul Masson on a feasibility study within Gleniffer Braes Country Park, Paisley for Mountain Bike Trails and a possible HUB facility (utilising the redundant Brownside Farm).

Because Gleniffer Braes is urban fringe rather than rural, the local catchment population for potential users is considerable. Whereas the main focus of the study is on a series of green and blue trails to cater for family access, we are also interested in hearing the views of experienced local riders who could help inform us. In particular, the following information would assist us;

1. How many members do your respective clubs currently have?

2. Where else do you off-road mountain bike locally within the Central Belt?

3. Do you/friends/club members currently use Gleniffer Braes Country Park for ad hoc mountain bike riding?

4. If you do use it, which part of the park do you use?

5. If you do use it, what is it about the Country Park that appeals to you?

6. What could make the Country Park a better riding experience for you?

7. Would you use a network of green, blue, red and black trails if they existed (combining new and existing trails)?

8. Would a singletrack red route be of interest similar to some of the Forestry Commission’s Carron Valley sections with jumps, bumps and banks?

9. Would you use trails here as a destination in their own right or would you incorporate the park as part of a half-day/day ride within the area? Or both?

10. What facilities at a HUB facility would appeal to you and your club in the park e.g. café, bike wash etc.

11. Do you think the proposed legacy trails at Cathkin Braes after the Commonwealth Games would complement a singletrack red route at Gleniffer Braes or compete with it?

• Administrators

2. Lochwinnoch. Not sure if other 2 class as central - Crieff and Glentress.

3. No

6. Only been in one part of the park, if it doesnt have already, mountain biking trails seperate from walkers.

7. Yes

8. Yes, with options like spooky wood at Glentress where there is the option of the jump or the easier option. Good when in groups.

9. Use trails here as a destination in their own right.

10. café, toilets, shower, bike wash, free parking.

11. Not sure, dont know where Cathkin is.

1. How many members do your respective clubs currently have?

Not sure.

2. Where else do you off-road mountain bike locally within the Central Belt?

Mugdock Country Park. Strathblane, and Carron Valley.

3. Do you/friends/club members currently use Gleniffer Braes Country Park for ad hoc mountain bike riding?

Have done in the past.

4. If you do use it, which part of the park do you use?

Used most of it.

5. If you do use it, what is it about the Country Park that appeals to you?

The size/scale.

6. What could make the Country Park a better riding experience for you?

Some man made trail network would be great.

7. Would you use a network of green, blue, red and black trails if they existed (combining new and existing trails)?

Yes I feel the benefit from any type of trail I ride be it Black or Green.

8. Would a singletrack red route be of interest similar to some of the Forestry Commission’s Carron Valley sections with jumps, bumps and banks?

From a purely personal point of view. I would prefer to see a more comprehensive trail of singletrack and technical sections interspersed with swooping banks rather than a 'jump' specific trail. Perhaps an area on its own for the gravity defiers.

9. Would you use trails here as a destination in their own right or would you incorporate the park as part of a half-day/day ride within the area? Or both?

If the trails were to encompass a reasonable distance then yes, there is no reason why you couldn't spend the whole day or even weekend there. Supporting the local economy. If this were to be the case then I would hope that organisers/planners would bear in mind that the general consensus is that Carron Valley, whilst a welcome getaway is much too small. There has been unsuccessful attempts to grow the trail network there. I would hope that if a similar project were to be undertaken at Glennifer Braes then the length of trails would be compliment the size of the park.

10. What facilities at a HUB facility would appeal to you and your club in the park e.g. café, bike wash etc.

Yes the bike wash is a very useful thing, especially for folk that have to have the bike in the car. A cafe for weary bikers is another plus as far as I'm concerned.

11. Do you think the proposed legacy trails at Cathkin Braes after the Commonwealth Games would complement a singletrack red route at Gleniffer Braes or compete with it?

The feedback I have heard is that there was an opportunity to have something special at Cathkin Braes. It seems this hasn't been the case.

I would hope if the Glennifer Braes project goes ahead and then dwarf both Cathkin Braes and Carron Valley.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Kenny C's answers pretty much mirror mine exactly, so I won't repeat them.

There are a few other local places I ride, but they are very small and can only make a good run if you have lots of links on roads etc.

I would be very keen to have trails, a centre (cafe etc) and enough to keep you occupied for a day.

I do also agree about the jumps, etc. Good trails don't need them, although an area for people that are into that is fine.

Cheers,

R

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that interests me about this is how they plan to create a route of significant length, as at the moment the trails available are a bit fragmented due to the man-made geography.

There is a maze of natural trails in the wooded area NW of the B775 and SW of Robertson Park (at the top of the BrandyBurn footpath, overlooking Elderslie/Johnstone). This is the best bit in my opinion. There is also Robertson Park and surrounding area (tends to be busy with dog-walkers). Then there is a large open area further East (far side of SgtLaw Rd) where the Highland coos tend to hang out. From Robertson Park you can also head East along Tannahill Walkway (bypassing Paisley Golf Course) and go past the dams to Glen Park / Brownside Farm. From there you can get access to the man-made path network on Brownside Braes/Fereneze Braes (lots of gates - can be a bit of a drag unless you're looking to build up your upper-body strength), and then loop back towards Robertson Park, via Tannahill Walkway or the right-of-way that runs through the golf club car-park.

So I'm just wondering how they plan to link together a route from these four fairly distinct areas which are separated by (a) the B775, (B) SergeantLaw Rd and © the golf course.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks to all who responded here and by email. I've compiled all the responses and sent on to the consultants, with a request for info on next steps and timescales. Will let you know when I hear anything.

M